Ullmark Signed One Year 2.6 Million

Brawndo

56 minutes ago, Curt said:

With regards to the expansion draft, that scenario is a possibility but they would also need to bring in a goalie to expose.  They need to have at least one goalie exposed who meets the requirements.

If the Sabres bring up Jonas Johansson during the season could he be considered an exposed goalie? 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

To add on what Curt posted 

He traded a 3rd for Beaulieu
Drafted Mittlestadt 

A 6th to Las Vegas protect Ullmark
Traded for Pominville and Scandella gave up Foligno and Ennis and a pick

Traded for Zach Redmond. 

So Adams has done a tad bit more

What about getting Skinner for Pu?

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

In case no one else noted:

Ullmark's contract, unlike Reinhart's, takes him to UFA upon expiry.

This is the key. We only have JJ to protect in next year's expansion. Which means...  if the season really happens in full... and Ullmark lights it up, we want to re-sign him in-season and protect him. Otherwise, we're really banking on K^6 to hit it this year. And that's like dicing against Qui-Gon.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, he's setting up to get the HR pitch this coming off-season.  Remains to be seen whether he knocks it out of the park or whiffs & spins himself into the dirt.

The nice thing is comparing his 1st off-season to his 2 predecessors' 1st off-seasons, they're night and day.  Murray continued the tank to ensure McEichel & Botterill basically did nothing but bring in a rookie HC because he wanted to evaluate his squad its 1st year.   Adams has actually improved the roster on paper & managed the cap as well. 

Like, next year? I dunno..

I'm not sure he's really planning FOR an offseason, hopefully we are beyond that - more so allowing/choosing to have flexibility next summer as an off shoot of trying his darndest to get on base, and hopefully beyond, this coming season. 

A lot of talk is rightfully being given to the somewhat tired concept of a "blank canvas" (again?) in the near future, but our keyest of key pieces are here going forward (Eichel, Dahlin, hopefully Cozens): another big aspect of the lower short term salaries is the chance/prospect of being really competitive this season, if a few things break our way.  

In that sense I'm as encouraged by the apparent logistics of the plan as anyone, it's very refreshing, but this is all still about results. One of the most encouraging things is it appears Adams is well aware of the need to be good, right way, and intends on capitalizing on circumstances to achieve that end perhaps as soon as this coming season. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If he plays well, he is pretty much a goner I think, to many issues trying to get that long term deal in buffalo.

He would have left already if that was the case, Linus likes living and playing in Buffalo and money isnt everything for him, you never know obviously but this is not the case right now. 

1 minute ago, MODO Hockey said:

He would have left already if that was the case, Linus likes living and playing in Buffalo and money isnt everything for him, you never know obviously but this is not the case right now. 

Good to hear, but he needs to assert that number 1 spot in goal.  If he does he is a UFA and can get 6 mill on open market.

• Haha (+1) 2

With these one year deals it puts them in position to extend selectively who they feel is a true core piece going forward. Guys like Hall for instance. I believe you keep those core guys and fill in the rest who are easily replaced. Personally I think Ulmark has shown flashes but still has to prove he's a #1 guy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If he plays well, he is pretty much a goner I think, to many issues trying to get that long term deal in buffalo.

If Ullmark or Reinhart or Hall play well this team will succeed in this upcoming season. Will it make them difficult to re-sign or more appealing on the market? Of course it will. What's the option? The incentive is for them to play well as it is for every player on this team and player in the league. To worry about players playing too well because it will affect their next contract is wasted energy.  

The challenges that the Sabres will face in the season following this one is the same cap challenges that almost every team goes through. That's an inescapable part of the business. For me what will be an even greater incentive for some of our prime players to stay with the Sabres is for this team to be successful and be a serious team. There will always be tough contract choices to make. The business side of the hockey business will work itself out. I'm more concerned about fielding a competitive team this year and not worried about the year following. The attention should be on the present and less so on the future. Especially when our ignominious past has existed for so long. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Reasonable  number, and 1 year has become the norm around the league with the uncertainty. 

I hope we get a good year out of this. Next year's team could be similar or completely different again. Impossible to predict. 

I bet OSP wishes he was still an owner.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Sabres are going to have so many guys playing for a big contract this year and so much flexibility in who they re-sign and look to pick up next summer. Blank slate is the way to go in a flat cap world.

Going to have another $40 million in cap space next year to play with. Adams’ plan is obvious and he’s knocking it out of the park.

This was JBotts plan and Adams is cashing in.  Say what you will about his personnel decisions (see Frolik, Sheary, etc), but it's not by chance Adams has all this cap flexibility.  They brought in a guy 3 years ago known for cap management (JBotts) and we now have two seasons (this and next) of increasing cap space with an opportunity to dump more through the expansion draft.  Credit where credit is due.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

Like, next year? I dunno..

I'm not sure he's really planning FOR an offseason, hopefully we are beyond that - more so allowing/choosing to have flexibility next summer as an off shoot of trying his darndest to get on base, and hopefully beyond, this coming season. 

A lot of talk is rightfully being given to the somewhat tired concept of a "blank canvas" (again?) in the near future, but our keyest of key pieces are here going forward (Eichel, Dahlin, hopefully Cozens): another big aspect of the lower short term salaries is the chance/prospect of being really competitive this season, if a few things break our way.  

In that sense I'm as encouraged by the apparent logistics of the plan as anyone, it's very refreshing, but this is all still about results. One of the most encouraging things is it appears Adams is well aware of the need to be good, right way, and intends on capitalizing on circumstances to achieve that end perhaps as soon as this coming season. 

And this is the beauty of what we are seeing: he is building a better team right now without sacrificing a single piece of the future to make it happen: no prospects, no picks, no long-term anchor contracts festering away cap space.

The blank canvas is in addition to getting better, rather than the Botterill model of instead of.

If it works he has the good problem of trying to make everyone fit, if it doesn't he can reshuffle the deck very easily.

No guarantees it will work, but you can see what he is trying to do and the sense of it. And, as you say, that's refreshing.

He's making a similar bet with the Sabres as Hall did.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This was JBotts plan and Adams is cashing in.  Say what you will about his personnel decisions (see Frolik, Sheary, etc), but it's not by chance Adams has all this cap flexibility.  They brought in a guy 3 years ago known for cap management (JBotts) and we now have two seasons (this and next) of increasing cap space with an opportunity to dump more through the expansion draft.  Credit where credit is due.

It wasn't. Jbott had tons of cap in every year after his first one and he pissed it away on 3/4 liners. So sure he designed it to have cap again but he did that the previous season as well. He wasn't some genius he just loved adding old reclamation projects. I give Botterill NO credit for essentially dicking around for 3 years and making one of the worst trades in franchise history. 

The Sabres had roughly the equivalent in cap in the summer of 2019 and Botterill used it on nothing and then in season made the great moves of Frolic and Simmonds. He gets no credit for being cheap with the cap while not filling team needs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

You are clueless.  JBOT spent over the cap for atrocious teams resulting in us currently having to pay a cap overage charge.  In addition he signed the worst contract in the league(Skinner) during his tenure..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.