Jump to content
Brawndo

Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Recommended Posts

Just now, Taro T said:

That wasn't intentional.  Friggin' autocorrect makes some very interesting decisions.  Fixed the post.  Thanks.

I feel less befuddled now. 🤡

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I have what must be an invented memory of him making a massive pad save in Royal at the post and fans in the crowd holding up the sign "The Dominator". When I was younger, I remembered it as having witnessed the advent of the nickname. Of course that couldn't have been the case, but it was a cool, what I imagine to be half-invented, memory. 

I could see that in the 1993-1994 season, when he wore the Blue & Gold & was on his way to his 1st Vezina.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Will this move get Skinner back to 30 goals? 

The odds have increased. It’s up to Skinner. If he’s with one of Jack or Eric, I could see it happening barring injury or a loooong slump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Will this move get Skinner back to 30 goals? 

Whether or not this gets Skinner into that ballpark is one of the biggest barometers for judging the success of this move

 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Will this move get Skinner back to 30 goals? 

If you want Skinner to score more than 30 goals then put him on the Jack line. The Reinhart/Jack/Skinner line is one of the better first lines in the league. If the first line is going to get more minutes than the lower lines then put together a line that will produce the most. 

I like Krueger as a coach. I didn't like the way he handled Skinner last year. As a defensive player Skinner has a tendency to float. In utilizing Skinner he needs to accentuate his positive attributes as a sniper and not be so caught up with his defensive liabilities. When the calculation is made his assets trump his deficiencies. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Staal on with the Instigators at 11 Buffalo time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you want Skinner to score more than 30 goals then put him on the Jack line. The Reinhart/Jack/Skinner line is one of the better first lines in the league. If the first line is going to get more minutes than the lower lines then put together a line that will produce the most. 

I like Krueger as a coach. I didn't like the way he handled Skinner last year. As a defensive player Skinner has a tendency to float. In utilizing Skinner he needs to accentuate his positive attributes as a sniper and not be so caught up with his defensive liabilities. When the calculation is made his assets trump his deficiencies. 

I think this post should be moved to the politics thread. Lol

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Listening to it now. Staal does not sound happy to me.

Oh he's probably pissed. He was settled down in Minnesota and very much poised to just coast into retirement.

But he's a pro.  I think he puts that aside and is a great player and mentor for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Listening to it now. Staal does not sound happy to me.

I don't think he is happy about the trade. I think he was very comfortable where he was and intended to spend the rest of his life there.

I do think he has accepted it and intends to make the best of it.

At least that's the impression I got when I listened to him on the Instigators (haven't listened to the above yet). Laid-back public persona and a total pro.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe that if any other Sabres GM besides Kevyn Adams makes this deal,  Staal decides to retire 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I do believe that if any other Sabres GM besides Kevyn Adams makes this deal,  Staal decides to retire 

Well what a thing for Adams to do to a “friend”. Hehe.  That’s cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Listening to it now. Staal does not sound happy to me.

He was traded where he didn't want to go and it's far from home.....and it's the Sabres

45 minutes ago, Shootica said:

Oh he's probably pissed. He was settled down in Minnesota and very much poised to just coast into retirement.

But he's a pro.  I think he puts that aside and is a great player and mentor for us.

not every veteran player is a mentor. That term gets tossed around all the time. Has he mentored before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think he is happy about the trade. I think he was very comfortable where he was and intended to spend the rest of his life there.

I do think he has accepted it and intends to make the best of it.

At least that's the impression I got when I listened to him on the Instigators (haven't listened to the above yet). Laid-back public persona and a total pro.

Seems to be my impression as well. He wanted to stay in Minnesota where he has settled down and retire there. The trade was unexpected but I think he likes the idea of Buffalo because Eichel and his friend in GM. 

He sounds exactly like a laid back pro. Surprised to be traded but already excepted it and moved on. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pissed may not be the word I'd have chosen... he expected a possible trade at deadline... I think more disappointed it happened so early... though if hockey doesnt start till January... its going to be close to trade deadline anyway... Again he is a pro and appears to be keeping an open mind... If Sabres can get 2-3 years out of him that would be great...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess he's more hurt by how Minnesota unceremoniously dumped him more than disdain for coming to Buffalo. 

 

39 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I do believe that if any other Sabres GM besides Kevyn Adams makes this deal,  Staal decides to retire 

Very possible; the only other teams I could see him being willing to play for would be NYR and Carolina due to his brothers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Pissed may not be the word I'd have chosen... he expected a possible trade at deadline... I think more disappointed it happened so early... though if hockey doesnt start till January... its going to be close to trade deadline anyway... Again he is a pro and appears to be keeping an open mind... If Sabres can get 2-3 years out of him that would be great...

I think they only get one season out of him... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch this video if you want to see the Sabres franchise in the eyes, face and voice of a player. "We'll see what happens." This is a guy who would rather retire but someone won't let him leave 3.25 on the table.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Watch this video if you want to see the Sabres franchise in the eyes, face and voice of a player. "We'll see what happens." This is a guy who would rather retire but someone won't let him leave 3.25 on the table.

Serious question. Are you a Sabres fan? Just asking because you seem to really hate the organization. I'm not happy but if I had a total disdain for ownership and the organization I would not continue to follow them. I'm not a lover of the Pegulas but if I felt as you do about them and the organization I'd be out of here. Please don't take this personal.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Radar said:

Serious question. Are you a Sabres fan? Just asking because you seem to really hate the organization. I'm not happy but if I had a total disdain for ownership and the organization I would not continue to follow them. I'm not a lover of the Pegulas but if I felt as you do about them and the organization I'd be out of here. Please don't take this personal.

I'm about there and my investment in watching them has gone down significantly. I come here to crack jokes and poop on their incompetence. That's about the only part of the Sabres experience that is fun any more.

It's certainly not fun watching the hockey.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...