COVID-19

Indabuff

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's very case to case, the only wrinkle now is that hospitals are hurting badly for patients and admissions, especially in this area.... So some that would be bordeine or would probably be sent home may now be admitted for observation with Covid precautions. 

Hospitals "hurting for patients" is just the perfect example of how weird our healthcare system is ?

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

We have to assume everyone that comes through the ED has Covid, or at least that's the administrations new "bright" idea. Anyone who has a cough or a fever is basically a Covid rule out. Almost like other disease don't exist anymore.

To further this, a patient came in last week, known anemia and on chemo.... Most likely needed a transfusion and that would be it, but because SOB was a symptom, they became a Covid rule out, subsequently admitted for 3 units PRBC, but had that nice Covid tag associated with them. It couldn't be that the anemia caused the SOB like it has for 200 years, Noooo it's Covid. 

That’s the issue though, if they are sick enough to warrant a hospital admission they have to be treated as a Covid if they have the symptoms and placed into PUI Status. When cases initially started showing up in hospitals, we were testing based on Early CDC Criteria which missed early community spread. As a result Covid Positive Patients were placed into areas where they caused nosocomial transmission. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I understand isolating anyone with COVID in a COVID ward, even if they're admitted for a broken arm.  And I understand the nursing home not wanting to take back a patient with the diagnosis, because they're ill-equipped to deal with it.  So where do these patients go?  Please tell me they're not taking up hospital beds after they no longer need them.  Maybe we need to create a couple of COVID nursing homes.

Mildly infuriating.

Catholic Health is ahead the curve and did lease a closed nursing home facility and has turned into St Joseph’s Post Acute Treatment Center which allows for rehab to be performed. Certain facilities have dedicated floors with only Covid Patients can return. The ones that do not are the problem since they are being paid on a monthly or quarterly basis, it’s difficult to re route those funds to another facility for a temporary stay. 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

How long does it take for Covid testing to come back? Is it still many days?

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Depends on the lab 1-3 days is my experience. 

Catholic Health in WNY has a turn around time of less than 45 minutes. Meaning all patients being admitted for Covid are transferred and admitted to a dedicated hospital. As a result greater than 90% of their Corona Patients are at one facility.

In comparison Kaleida Health still has a turn around time of 18-24 hours and has patients at two facilities.

Yeh southern ny was overrun so fast that wasnt an option... we were shipping pts up county anywhere we could find a bed as were furiously opening up old areas and trying to keep non covids in separate rooms.. Its settled down now but for 4-5 weeks the whole area was nuts.

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s the issue though, if they are sick enough to warrant a hospital admission they have to be treated as a Covid if they have the symptoms and placed into PUI Status. When cases initially started showing up in hospitals, we were testing based on Early CDC Criteria which missed early community spread. As a result Covid Positive Patients were placed into areas where they caused nosocomial transmission. 

Catholic Health is ahead the curve and did lease a closed nursing home facility and has turned into St Joseph’s Post Acute Treatment Center which allows for rehab to be performed. Certain facilities have dedicated floors with only Covid Patients can return. The ones that do not are the problem since they are being paid on a monthly or quarterly basis, it’s difficult to re route those funds to another facility for a temporary stay. 

Catholic Health in WNY has a turn around time of less than 45 minutes. Meaning all patients being admitted for Covid are transferred and admitted to a dedicated hospital. As a result greater than 90% of their Corona Patients are at one facility.

In comparison Kaleida Health still has a turn around time of 18-24 hours and has patients at two facilities.

Another employee in my department tested positive for COVID-19.  That's 3 out of 19.  I'm not worried about my health, probably naively.  Just wondering if the CDC is gonna start digging into what is going on with my department.  I think it's a just random happenstance but my employees do travel the facility more than any and come in contact with dozens of employees a day.  It's quite harrowing. 

17 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh southern ny was overrun so fast that wasnt an option... we were shipping pts up county anywhere we could find a bed as were furiously opening up old areas and trying to keep non covids in separate rooms.. Its settled down now but for 4-5 weeks the whole area was nuts.

Yep, NYC was in survival mode for the beginning being the Epicenter of the pandemic for the US. We had time to plan and prepare in WNY and use NYC as a reference. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Another employee in my department tested positive for COVID-19.  That's 3 out of 19.  I'm not worried about my health, probably naively.  Just wondering if the CDC is gonna start digging into what is going on with my department.  I think it's a just random happenstance but my employees do travel the facility more than any and come in contact with dozens of employees a day.  It's quite harrowing. 

My son works in the same industry you do.  His facility is up to 12, I think.  From what he has said, no investigations.  Business as usual.

• Sad 1

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-reinfections-were-false-positives.html

This doesn't answer the question about long-term immunity, but gives good news regarding headlines from a couple weeks back that coronavirus was worryingly being reactivated and getting people sick a second time after an initial battle (and also potentially being spread a second time) 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

My son works in the same industry you do.  His facility is up to 12, I think.  From what he has said, no investigations.  Business as usual.

The company I work for does investigate. Due to HIPAA, it's very challenging to do them as they can't divulge who has it.  They take out anyone who came in within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes. I think the time and distance are rather arbitrary but it's what the CDC stipulates.  I think door handles (which we sanitize), flat surfaces (work stations, machines), and other shared surfaces (vending, anywhere in the bathroom, etc) have far more potential for widespread transmission.  

We have all the science to know this ***** but we choose to use antiquated thinking and methodology. Most because of politics. It's ugly.  

Binging Law and Order right now.  The episode concerns a stolen vial of "coronavirus," and yep, they used that word.  2004.  

Also, it occurs to me that I've probably been in three dozen apartments in NYC and I've never seen any as large as some of those on L&O.

I know science.

I have common sense.

The extent to which our leaders are unfamiliar with civil liberties, and the extent to which our citizens do not care, saddens me.  (The latter allows the former).

Sentences one, two and three do not contradict one another.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Binging Law and Order right now.  The episode concerns a stolen vial of "coronavirus," and yep, they used that word.  2004.  

Also, it occurs to me that I've probably been in three dozen apartments in NYC and I've never seen any as large as some of those on L&O.

Coronaviruses have been around a long time.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I know science.

I have common sense.

The extent to which our leaders are unfamiliar with civil liberties, and the extent to which our citizens do not care, saddens me.  (The latter allows the former).

Sentences one, two and three do not contradict one another.

Is this going to be a patented Neo drive-by or do you wanna put some meat on the bone? Where else are you going to get that kind of invite on a Friday night?

I see heavily armed, uniformed gentlemen citizens shouting directly into the faces of police officers in Michigan. And those surgical masks aren't really designed to protect the wearer. You could charge the fine young man with attempted murder, but in Michigan they were given a very long leash.

Is this about stay at home orders, which weren't really that at all? Religious gatherings? The two Porterhouse limit?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not sure if this was posted a couple days ago ...

Remdesivir could be promising drug candidate to treat coronavirus

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/remdesivir-promising-drug-candidate-treat-coronavirus/story?id=69689778

I heard about this last week.  I think one study stopped it because it was so promising that they didn't feel right about giving people the placebo.

12 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not sure if this was posted a couple days ago ...

Remdesivir could be promising drug candidate to treat coronavirus

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/remdesivir-promising-drug-candidate-treat-coronavirus/story?id=69689778

It received Emergency FDA Approval today. It lowers mortality rate by 3% compared to placebo, but it did reduce the length of stay in the ICU by 4 days. It’s a step in the right direction 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is this going to be a patented Neo drive-by or do you wanna put some meat on the bone? Where else are you going to get that kind of invite on a Friday night?

I see heavily armed, uniformed gentlemen citizens shouting directly into the faces of police officers in Michigan. And those surgical masks aren't really designed to protect the wearer. You could charge the fine young man with attempted murder, but in Michigan they were given a very long leash.

Is this about stay at home orders, which weren't really that at all? Religious gatherings? The two Porterhouse limit?

Boat launches must be closed in Florida, as well. I'm not bitin' this time.

Although, I'm pretty sure I got more done in those two days than I have in the entire past 12 years of being a member of this board.

Edited by SwampD

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If you are awarding me a patent for the drive by post, I’ll cynically accept if royalties are involved.  Absent royalties, I’ll push back and say I hardly invented it, nor am I its most frequent practitioner.   I do, however, love the language and get your point!

I have no idea what heavily armed men tried to kill whom or what porterhouse limits exist where.  Truly.

My post was inspired by a montage of officials, all levels, all parties, describing their powers and rationales.  I was, and am, struck by what I called unfamiliarity with civil liberties in my post.   “I am doing this because it’s effective, says me and science and medicine.”  I call that a good start, not a finish.  Walk me through the next steps in the context of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and I’ll think about it.    I have never been much for “cuz I said so” government.   I am not at all rejecting the strategy.

I have self quarantined for 51 days.  My wife’s joined me.   I think we’ve done things mostly right.   We have gone grocery shopping, to the pharmacy, to restaurants for curbside pickup (no porterhouse) and I’ve gone to my office six times.   I have an “essential service” letter in my car!  We’ve done this because we believe it makes sense, as best we can figure.   We don’t want to get sick.   We don’t want to be conduits for sickness to find others.  In short, we’re all in.

I am not, however, prepared to have my location tracked and traced, nor to be surveilled by drones.  I am also not prepared to tell others they can’t have friends over, arrange play dates for their kids, or go to church if their assessment of risk differs from mine.  As you’ve seen over the years, my skin gets itchy when I get close to the “tell others they should” zone, no matter how compelling I think my argument is.   I get itchier when I see others in the “should” zone, too.  This isn’t about boat launches and inconvenience.  It is precisely about not recognizing that this isn’t about boat launches and inconvenience.

Now, you may have noticed over the years that I am fiscally conservative.   I acknowledged the pandemic is different and adjusted my views to capture an extraordinary time.  I pushed back on the characterization that this is a rainy day businesses should have been prepared for and wrote “print, baby, print” somewhere in these pages.  I’m aware of what’s going on.   I’d welcome a debate over authority, liberty, lockdown and consequence.  It would have to be thorough, however, and not lost in the din of “should, cuz science, and boat slips”.

Lastly, if you believe I’m a little late to the game, you’d be correct.   It’s the minor frictions around re-opening that brought my attention back to the topic.   In other words, while I was all in, I didn’t give it much thought beyond health care workers and the devastation of the economy and working families.  The drones, the ramifications of tracing, are news stories I’m seeing now.   Forgive me if I have a wary, dystopian, view of the government and the future.  Crises, Patriot Act, it’s good for us, crises, movement tracking, it’s good for us, crises, drones in the intersection, it’s good for us ... and all that.   The problem with criticism of me worrying about us blindly surrendering freedoms is our history of doing just that.

I behaved.   I was good.   There are those that propose that there will be a record of everywhere I went in some data base.   My web searches and purchases can be catalogued, too.  I mean, how perfect for Google.  The marriage of big government and big data.  My medical records can be scrubbed so that appropriate lifestyle choices can be “encouraged”   by the single payer.   Makes sense, no?   I mean, if the government is providing my health care, how can I be allowed to drink soda, or smoke, or enjoy red meat?  China has social credit, why can’t we?

Life’s beautiful and risky.  I won’t surrender the former to shrink the latter without a rationale and a fight.

I don’t own a boat.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If those protestors were black, they'd be dead.  

freeman, don't you dare.  It's basic sociology and not politics.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If those protestors were black, they'd be dead.  

freeman, don't you dare.

Sadly, in America, they don't even have to be protesters.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Neo said:

If you are awarding me a patent for the drive by post, I’ll cynically accept if royalties are involved.  Absent royalties, I’ll push back and say I hardly invented it, nor am I its most frequent practitioner.   I do, however, love the language and get your point!

I have no idea what heavily armed men tried to kill whom or what porterhouse limits exist where.  Truly.

My post was inspired by a montage of officials, all levels, all parties, describing their powers and rationales.  I was, and am, struck by what I called unfamiliarity with civil liberties in my post.   “I am doing this because it’s effective, says me and science and medicine.”  I call that a good start, not a finish.  Walk me through the next steps in the context of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and I’ll think about it.    I have never been much for “cuz I said so” government.   I am not at all rejecting the strategy.

I have self quarantined for 51 days.  My wife’s joined me.   I think we’ve done things mostly right.   We have gone grocery shopping, to the pharmacy, to restaurants for curbside pickup (no porterhouse) and I’ve gone to my office six times.   I have an “essential service” letter in my car!  We’ve done this because we believe it makes sense, as best we can figure.   We don’t want to get sick.   We don’t want to be conduits for sickness to find others.  In short, we’re all in.

I am not, however, prepared to have my location tracked and traced, nor to be surveilled by drones.  I am also not prepared to tell others they can’t have friends over, arrange play dates for their kids, or go to church if their assessment of risk differs from mine.  As you’ve seen over the years, my skin gets itchy when I get close to the “tell others they should” zone, no matter how compelling I think my argument is.   I get itchier when I see others in the “should” zone, too.  This isn’t about boat launches and inconvenience.  It is precisely about not recognizing that this isn’t about boat launches and inconvenience.

Now, you may have noticed over the years that I am fiscally conservative.   I acknowledged the pandemic is different and adjusted my views to capture an extraordinary time.  I pushed back on the characterization that this is a rainy day businesses should have been prepared for and wrote “print, baby, print” somewhere in these pages.  I’m aware of what’s going on.   I’d welcome a debate over authority, liberty, lockdown and consequence.  It would have to be thorough, however, and not lost in the din of “should, cuz science, and boat slips”.

Lastly, if you believe I’m a little late to the game, you’d be correct.   It’s the minor frictions around re-opening that brought my attention back to the topic.   In other words, while I was all in, I didn’t give it much thought beyond health care workers and the devastation of the economy and working families.  The drones, the ramifications of tracing, are news stories I’m seeing now.   Forgive me if I have a wary, dystopian, view of the government and the future.  Crises, Patriot Act, it’s good for us, crises, movement tracking, it’s good for us, crises, drones in the intersection, it’s good for us ... and all that.   The problem with criticism of me worrying about us blindly surrendering freedoms is our history of doing just that.

I behaved.   I was good.   There are those that propose that there will be a record of everywhere I went in some data base.   My web searches and purchases can be catalogued, too.  I mean, how perfect for Google.  The marriage of big government and big data.  My medical records can be scrubbed so that appropriate lifestyle choices can be “encouraged”   by the single payer.   Makes sense, no?   I mean, if the government is providing my health care, how can I be allowed to drink soda, or smoke, or enjoy red meat?  China has social credit, why can’t we?

Life’s beautiful and risky.  I won’t surrender the former to shrink the latter without a rationale and a fight.

I don’t own a boat.

I think you missed my joke. It was more about me being a fish than you having a boat.

I share all of these concerns and have since long before there was a SIP order. Then I started hearing of people dying. Then I started to know people who died. Now, on the map, I’m in one of the darkest counties of one of the darkest states and the numbers are still going up (haven’t checked them yet this morning.) 

I think tracing is a real bad idea. I think we’d be foolish to think they are not already doing it.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think you missed my joke. It was more about me being a fish than you having a boat.

I share all of these concerns and have since long before there was a SIP order. Then I started hearing of people dying. Then I started to know people who died. Now, on the map, I’m in one of the darkest counties of one of the darkest states and the numbers are still going up (haven’t checked them yet this morning.) 

I think tracing is a real bad idea. I think we’d be foolish to think they are not already doing it.

I did, and I erred.

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

When I first read this I was inspired. To quarantine for 51 Got Dang days is a sacrifice  that would test the Gods! 

Then I read this......

It must have been horrible.

I never said that

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I never said that

My apologies. I quoted @Neo from your quote. Working from the fire on iPhone and didn’t catch the mistake. If you’d like I could delete and repost. 

14 hours ago, Neo said:

I have self quarantined for 51 days

I left the apology post to @SwampD but the original sentiment remains. Nothing personal. You’re too good with words to let the slip go. Yada yada disclaimers, it just distracts from the literal sacrifices. 

14 hours ago, Neo said:

am not, however, prepared to have my location tracked and traced, nor to be surveilled by drones

Too late. I was beating this particular drum fifteen years ago and people thought I was a nutcase. Every key stroke, every single place you’ve been is memorialized.