COVID-19

Indabuff

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A lot of people don't seem to want to notice that daily death totals that were supposed to go down a few weeks after the curve got flattened haven't really done so. This week has seen some of the highest daily death counts of the pandemic. That might be because although the spike in cases was stopped and the curve did get flattened, it's been more a high plateau after that. There have bee some noticeable declines in total new cases, but then it shoots back up again. Sort of a roller coaster ride.

You must be glued to your television and internet through this whole thing... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

A lot of people don't seem to want to notice that daily death totals that were supposed to go down a few weeks after the curve got flattened haven't really done so. This week has seen some of the highest daily death counts of the pandemic. That might be because although the spike in cases was stopped and the curve did get flattened, it's been more a high plateau after that. There have bee some noticeable declines in total new cases, but then it shoots back up again. Sort of a roller coaster ride.

The number of new cases here have generally fallen even as the death count and testing count continue to be steady.

The key number that I follow is the number of current hospitalizations, which I consider the best measure of the actual prevalence in the community. That has been falling steadily for two weeks now.

A majority of our current cases are tied to a few specific outbreaks at care homes, factories and prisons. Our premier (governor) is expected to announce our plan for easing restrictions next week, but we won’t be going fully back to normal until there is a vaccine.

We were Canada’s early hotspot but we’ve fallen well back. Our hospitals never approached capacity. I think our province (and our communities) have handled this very well.

What's really sad through all of this is the sheer number of false reporting, shady business and etc. 

The WHO has been basically caught covering this up, there are serious reports that Italy falsifyed its numbers, there are many speculations that physicians in NY and the US are counting deaths as Covid without any actual proof and other causes of death. We have Fauci spouting that we can't have an in person electon in NOVEMBER (yeah, that's not shady). We have politicians spouting false science and keeping the general public in a tizzy. 

This is all coming through to me, as an individual that has actively attempted to avoid as much of this as possible. 

This recession/depression was not necessary, there were steps that could have been taken short of what we did. But it's all for naught now.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Global pandemics and depressions that come right to my doorstep tend to get my attention.

I get what you're saying but there are only 6 of them on your doorstep and, those are family members from Kane, PA ?

You're probably in the safest county in the US of A 

19 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

What's really sad through all of this is the sheer number of false reporting, shady business and etc. 

The WHO has been basically caught covering this up, there are serious reports that Italy falsifyed its numbers, there are many speculations that physicians in NY and the US are counting deaths as Covid without any actual proof and other causes of death. We have Fauci spouting that we can't have an in person electon in NOVEMBER (yeah, that's not shady). We have politicians spouting false science and keeping the general public in a tizzy. 

This is all coming through to me, as an individual that has actively attempted to avoid as much of this as possible. 

This recession/depression was not necessary, there were steps that could have been taken short of what we did. But it's all for naught now.

The third paragraph is telling. You've admitted to not being educated about what's going on. And Fauci didn't say that. He said he couldn't guarantee it would be safe by then.

Edited by PASabreFan
Clarity

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The third paragraph is telling. You've admitted to not being educated about what's going on. And Fauci didn't say that. He said he couldn't guarantee it would be safe by then.

You think the education you're getting is the whole story? None of us are getting the truth. 

In a world of analytics and statistics, we can massage the numbers to appear however we'd like.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Actually we are seeing admissions down at both hospitals I work at, finally seeing some empty beds on some of the floors... ICU is still full because there were so many critical patients on the floors that are now being moved to ICU as beds open up because of pts passing or a few getting discharged.  

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

You think the education you're getting is the whole story? None of us are getting the truth. 

In a world of analytics and statistics, we can massage the numbers to appear however we'd like.

Oh Woody... silly man, you assumed we would exact count... maybe the antibody test if reported correctly... eh who am I kidding...  I used to put together stats on Capitol Hill... even when accurate I could always make the trend line or bar chart seem worse or better depending on the agenda.  

That being said in the NY area we are down to around 300 deaths per day from a high of over 700.    I expect that number to keep falling.  My wife's hospital is expecting their OR to open up to an abnormal normal schedule.  She doesn't look forward to having to deal with the backlog of cases plus the new one's coming on.

In other areas of the country, eg FL, GA and parts of TX as well as certain rural areas where social distancing and masking is not being practiced you are and will continue to see spikes.... idiots...  We are going to be antibody tested soon and it will be interesting to see how those numbers are reported.

I look forward to the antibody test (who don’t).  One week apart, Mrs. Neo and I developed a dry cough in mid-late January.  It lasted four weeks for each of us.  We had mild aches and pains and felt lethargic.   She’s convinced we had it (she rarely gets ill and her family’s life expectancy is, like, 137 years).  I’m convinced we didn’t have it (I don’t get ill often but I’m Type I, IDD and overweight, if not obese).  In short, she believes she may may had it, and lived.  I’m convinced I wouldn’t have lived, had I had it.

Our memories are a little fuzzy regarding onset and duration.   We sure are “inter-actors” and would have spread the contagion, despite good hygiene, coughing into our elbows, etc.   We may have been well regarded, well liked, spreaders of disease.

When you take our personal uncertainties, and consider them alongside those of seven billion other people over six months, and work your combinations and permutations, well ....  I have sympathy for individuals making decisions and for leaders making decisions for them.  I’m not prepared to blame or criticize, yet.  The man in the arena, and all that.  But, of course, exactly that is happening.  And so it goes, human nature and a virus of another sort that’s been among us for tens of thousands of years.

By the way ...  anyone following the dust-up between AMC Theaters, Regal Cinema  and Universal Pictures?   An inevitable clash had its arrival date moved up by a virus.  We will emerge into a different world.

Edited by Neo

22 minutes ago, Neo said:

I look forward to the antibody test (who don’t).  One week apart, Mrs. Neo and I developed a dry cough in mid-late January.  It lasted four weeks for each of us.  We had mild aches and pains and felt lethargic.   She’s convinced we had it (she rarely gets ill and her family’s life expectancy is, like, 137 years).  I’m convinced we didn’t have it (I don’t get ill often but I’m Type I, IDD and overweight, if not obese).  In short, she believes she may may had it, and lived.  I’m convinced I wouldn’t have lived, had I had it.

Our memories are a little fuzzy regarding onset and duration.   We sure are “inter-actors” and would have spread the contagion, despite good hygiene, coughing into our elbows, etc.   We may have been well regarded, well liked, spreaders of disease.

When you take our personal uncertainties, and consider them alongside those of seven billion other people over six months, and work your combinations and permutations, well ....  I have sympathy for individuals making decisions and for leaders making decisions for them.  I’m not prepared to blame or criticize, yet.  The man in the arena, and all that.  But, of course, exactly that is happening.  And so it goes, human nature and a virus of another sort that’s been among us for tens of thousands of years.

By the way ...  anyone following the dust-up between AMC Theaters, Regal Cinema  and Universal Pictures?   An inevitable clash had its arrival date moved up by a virus.  We will emerge into a different world.

It may have been different..  there was an unknown virus going around at that point, but I have since had this one though not confirmed and it was very different... Still could've been so until a valid antibody test comes out who the hell knows.

• Like (+1) 1

The reason the number of hospitalizations in WNY is climbing and/or not decreasing is patients with Covid are being admitted to the hospital for other reasons, but since they are positive it counts as a Corona Admit for Erie County Health Department Totals. Buffalo General has seen the highest increase. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The reason the number of hospitalizations in WNY is climbing and/or not decreasing is patients with Covid are being admitted to the hospital for other reasons, but since they are positive it counts as a Corona Admit for Erie County Health Department Totals. Buffalo General has seen the highest increase. 

Interesting

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

That being said in the NY area we are down to around 300 deaths per day from a high of over 700.    I expect that number to keep falling.  My wife's hospital is expecting their OR to open up to an abnormal normal schedule.  She doesn't look forward to having to deal with the backlog of cases plus the new one's coming on.

In other areas of the country, eg FL, GA and parts of TX as well as certain rural areas where social distancing and masking is not being practiced you are and will continue to see spikes.... idiots...  We are going to be antibody tested soon and it will be interesting to see how those numbers are reported.

I think you might be right. I've noticed declining deaths in NY. Other parts of the country must be picking up the slack. Or #libtardcoroners. I mean, who knows what's REALLY going on?

59 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think you might be right. I've noticed declining deaths in NY. Other parts of the country must be picking up the slack. Or #libtardcoroners. I mean, who knows what's REALLY going on?

There's also going to be a slight lag between the confirmed cases and the death count.  Those who test positive today who are going to die, they're not going to die until X number of days later.  So your confirmed case curve and your death curve should run mostly parallel, but the death curve will be shifted slightly to the right (towards future dates).

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Interesting

I admitted two patients one who needed a multiple transfusions for something unrelated to Covid and another who was stable for discharge from the ER but Their Nursing Home would not take them back.  Both count as Covid Admits and raise the admission numbers unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I admitted two patients one who needed a multiple transfusions for something unrelated to Covid and another who was stable for discharge from the ER but Their Nursing Home would not take them back.  Both count as Covid Admits and raise the admission numbers unfortunately. 

Why did they count as COVID admits?  Did they have the disease but just happened to be hospitalized for another reason?

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Why did they count as COVID admits?  Did they have the disease but just happened to be hospitalized for another reason?

If a positive Covid Diagnosis is made even in prior to the ER Visit,  it is considered One of the Admitting Diagnosis. 

As they need to be isolated on a Covid Ward.  We do the same for patients with MRSA and C Diff, and other diseases that still require isolation 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If a positive Covid Diagnosis is made even in prior to the ER Visit,  it is considered One of the Admitting Diagnosis. 

As they need to be isolated on a Covid Ward.  We do the same for patients with MRSA and C Diff, and other diseases that still require isolation 

We have to assume everyone that comes through the ED has Covid, or at least that's the administrations new "bright" idea. Anyone who has a cough or a fever is basically a Covid rule out. Almost like other disease don't exist anymore.

To further this, a patient came in last week, known anemia and on chemo.... Most likely needed a transfusion and that would be it, but because SOB was a symptom, they became a Covid rule out, subsequently admitted for 3 units PRBC, but had that nice Covid tag associated with them. It couldn't be that the anemia caused the SOB like it has for 200 years, Noooo it's Covid. 

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I understand isolating anyone with COVID in a COVID ward, even if they're admitted for a broken arm.  And I understand the nursing home not wanting to take back a patient with the diagnosis, because they're ill-equipped to deal with it.  So where do these patients go?  Please tell me they're not taking up hospital beds after they no longer need them.  Maybe we need to create a couple of COVID nursing homes.

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

We have to assume everyone that comes through the ED has Covid, or at least that's the administrations new "bright" idea. Anyone who has a cough or a fever is basically a Covid rule out. Almost like other disease don't exist anymore.

To further this, a patient came in last week, known anemia and on chemo.... Most likely needed a transfusion and that would be it, but because SOB was a symptom, they became a Covid rule out, subsequently admitted for 3 units PRBC, but had that nice Covid tag associated with them. It couldn't be that the anemia caused the SOB like it has for 200 years, Noooo it's Covid. 

Mildly infuriating.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Being an SOB is a symptom too?  Add every single poster on this board to the list.

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

How long does it take for Covid testing to come back? Is it still many days?

38 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And in the meantime if someone has any Covid symptoms, even if it seems unlikely, how are they handled?

Depends... if chest or CT reveals infiltrated lungs they are admitted... If lungs show mild inflammation of bronchial tubes  but little infiltrate they are sent home... told to sequester at home check temps etc and if SOB come back.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

And in the meantime if someone has any Covid symptoms, even if it seems unlikely, how are they handled?

It's very case to case, the only wrinkle now is that hospitals are hurting badly for patients and admissions, especially in this area.... So some that would be bordeine or would probably be sent home may now be admitted for observation with Covid precautions.