Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Of course it was worth it.  That’s not the discussion we were having.  

Fair point but I dismiss the notion that they took a downturn because of loss of “support” players. They made a colossal blunder with Seabrook, made a couple other dubious decisions and their stars slowly become less dominant. 

My point still is, I can’t think of one instance were a team truly wanted to keep an important player and was forced by the cap to give them up.

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Fair point but I dismiss the notion that they took a downturn because of loss of “support” players. They made a colossal blunder with Seabrook, made a couple other dubious decisions and their stars slowly become less dominant. 

My point still is, I can’t think of one instance were a team truly wanted to keep an important player and was forced by the cap to give them up.

Really quickly my mind goes to Jordan Staal, but I don't really remember the specifics there.  But yeah, we're not going to be stringing together a very long list here.

29 minutes ago, tom webster said:

That's a fair point but guys like Panarin had to move due to the larger salaries.  It is hard to isolate every single factor but I don't think there's much debate that there is a finite amount of cap space and you can usually keep your guys but it's coming at an opportunity cost.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

Really quickly my mind goes to Jordan Staal, but I don't really remember the specifics there.  But yeah, we're not going to be stringing together a very long list here.

Staal is not a bad example, and like you, I’m a little cloudy on the details, but they still made a choice. They decided, and I think rightfully so, that he wasn’t going to be a high end number 2. 

Its like when the Sabre’s walked away from J. P. Dumpster. DR will tell you that he had no choice, but he did. Unfortunately, he chose Ales Kotalik.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Staal is not a bad example, and like you, I’m a little cloudy on the details, but they still made a choice. They decided, and I think rightfully so, that he wasn’t going to be a high end number 2. 

Its like when the Sabre’s walked away from J. P. Dumpster. DR will tell you that he had no choice, but he did. Unfortunately, he chose Ales Kotalik.

Still believe the order came from above to work the contracts in order of when the arbitrations hit rather than importance to the team.  Which kind of did make Dumont the odd man out.

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

Typo?

https://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/a/ef2c162d-e23e-4b60-b8b3-986d2da28043 According to the google translation of this article, Laine is dumping on his coach for not playing him with stars, explicitly mentioning that Maurice obviously loves Little, who is implied to be not good by Laine from what I can see. 

No thanks on this guy

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/a/ef2c162d-e23e-4b60-b8b3-986d2da28043 According to the google translation of this article, Laine is dumping on his coach for not playing him with stars, explicitly mentioning that Maurice obviously loves Little, who is implied to be not good by Laine from what I can see. 

No thanks on this guy

So Laine is like the rest of us and gets frustrated when a coach irrationally loves a washed-up vet? Meh. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

So Laine is like the rest of us and gets frustrated when a coach irrationally loves a washed-up vet? Meh. 

It'd be one thing if Patrik himself didn't have negative traits often pertaining to his own work ethic that actively drags down those top line players he mentions when he gets extended runs wit hthem, but all of that is true, so yapping about how much your teammate and coach sucks to the media in that situation is not something I'm interested in dealing with.

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It'd be one thing if Patrik himself didn't have negative traits often pertaining to his own work ethic that actively drags down those top line players he mentions when he gets extended runs wit hthem, but all of that is true, so yapping about how much your teammate and coach sucks to the media in that situation is not something I'm interested in dealing with.

I just don't care what athletes say. I'm actually trying to think of anything sports-related I care about less. The only thing that comes close is preseason football. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.