Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The Leafs are in such a strange spot with their roster. They have all of their cap tied up in forwards and basically no one signed up to play defense for them after this season.

I think they have something like 16million to sign all of the defenders except Rielly. Should be interesting. 

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Minnesota's a bit surprising.  But after all the talent that walked out the door in July, Columbus makes sense.

I wish these sources were a bit more clear on the actual definition of an offer sheet.  Correct me if I'm wrong on this one taro, but being presented an offer sheet should mean that they put an actual contract in front of him.  So does this mean that he negotiated a bit with these teams a bit and then they presented that actual contract?  I think that's the real information that people would be curious about, did he actually negotiate with teams or did they just throw out a random unsolicited offer.

They have 12 players signed (9 of them forwards) with an estimated 16.6mil in cap if the cap goes up 1.5mil. They at the least need to sign or account for 6 NHL defenders, and a backup goalie. The need 11 players to get to 23. That's 1.5mil per player to fill out their roster. If Barrie gets re-signed you have to figure 7mil at least will go to him if he has a decent season. They have Ceci and Muzzin also to re-sign. They could sign those 3 and bring up Liljegren and Sandin to fill out the roster for cheap but they basically have no money. I don't see why Ceci, Muzzin, and Barrie if signed would not take up most of that 16mil. That would be just over 5mil for each and I don't think Ceci or Barrie is going to take less than that. Barrie is going to want to get paid. Ceci is already at 4.5.  Muzzin might take less than 5mil but even still it wouldn't be a ton less. Tough decisions are coming for Toronto. I would guess a forward gets traded. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They have 12 players signed (9 of them forwards) with an estimated 16.6mil in cap if the cap goes up 1.5mil. They at the least need to sign or account for 6 NHL defenders, and a backup goalie. The need 11 players to get to 23. That's 1.5mil per player to fill out their roster. If Barrie gets re-signed you have to figure 7mil at least will go to him if he has a decent season. They have Ceci and Muzzin also to re-sign. They could sign those 3 and bring up Liljegren and Sandin to fill out the roster for cheap but they basically have no money. I don't see why Ceci, Muzzin, and Barrie if signed would not take up most of that 16mil. That would be just over 5mil for each and I don't think Ceci or Barrie is going to take less than that. Barrie is going to want to get paid. Ceci is already at 4.5.  Muzzin might take less than 5mil but even still it wouldn't be a ton less. Tough decisions are coming for Toronto. I would guess a forward gets traded. 

Nylander

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wish these sources were a bit more clear on the actual definition of an offer sheet.  Correct me if I'm wrong on this one taro, but being presented an offer sheet should mean that they put an actual contract in front of him.  So does this mean that he negotiated a bit with these teams a bit and then they presented that actual contract?  I think that's the real information that people would be curious about, did he actually negotiate with teams or did they just throw out a random unsolicited offer.

My un derstanding of it is like you suggest that the team and player negotiate and then the team makes its best offer to the player in the form of the offer sheet.

If Marner said he wouldn't go for what that was, could see a scenario where they didn't formally submit an offer sheet to him; but more likely he said he'd consider the offer were it formally made.

Would be very interested in how different those offers were from what he eventually signed.

The Leafs will be fine. 

The thing making their cap situation difficult is that their forwards are so GOOD. ie, they can trade one if they really need to shift the balance of their roster, and get back what they want in that trade. 

We were laughing that the Leafs were way behind us just three years ago. Now we're laughing because of how ***** good their forwards actually were. Rings hollow to me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Leafs will be fine. 

The thing making their cap situation difficult is that their forwards are so GOOD. ie, they can trade one if they really need to shift the balance of their roster, and get back what they want in that trade. 

We were laughing that the Leafs were way behind us just three years ago. Now we're laughing because of how ***** good their forwards actually were. Rings hollow to me. 

3 years ago they didn't have John Tavares and we had ROR. Things changed. 

I think they have 3 great forwards and some complimentary pieces around them. How that translates will be key. You say "how ***** good" and they just don't impress to that degree. Tavares, Matthews, and Marner are great. Tkachuk is really good. A couple of their other guys are also good but the key is those 4 I mentioned. Add in Morgan Rielly and they have a solid team. The question is how long can they maintain it? 

I think Toronto will be very good this season and their forwards are a big part of that. The question is how do they round out that team. Should be interesting to see. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

3 years ago they didn't have John Tavares and we had ROR. Things changed. 

I think they have 3 great forwards and some complimentary pieces around them. How that translates will be key. You say "how ***** good" and they just don't impress to that degree. Tavares, Matthews, and Marner are great. Tkachuk is really good. A couple of their other guys are also good but the key is those 4 I mentioned. Add in Morgan Rielly and they have a solid team. The question is how long can they maintain it? 

I think Toronto will be very good this season and their forwards are a big part of that. The question is how do they round out that team. Should be interesting to see. 

I believe (I checked this months ago but am not doing it again) that their forwards had the second most goals/points of any team's forwards, behind Tampa. This was with William Nylander, who is low-key really freaking good and absolute dynamite with Matthews, sitting out and never getting into the groove when he came back. They're seriously dangerous, and incredible, and each of them outside Tavares still has a lotta room for development. 

I do think that they're going to have a couple of lean roster years if the cap stagnates, but when the new TV deal hits in a couple of years, they are going to have plenty of cap space again, and their front office is good. They'll be lean years as in, their stars can only carry them to wild card births, rather than 1/2/3 seeds. 

And I know they lost in the first round again, but they looked far better against Boston than anyone else did until St. Louis in about 3 key finals games

9 minutes ago, tom webster said:

This is the same story that’s been going around since Andy Messersmith signed with the Atlanta Braves. Good teams keep their players, especially their difference maker.

Ofcourse they do.  But don't thin it doesn't have an impact on supporting players and the teams ability to afford them.  As the Blackhawks.

Edited by Derrico

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

My un derstanding of it is like you suggest that the team and player negotiate and then the team makes its best offer to the player in the form of the offer sheet.

If Marner said he wouldn't go for what that was, could see a scenario where they didn't formally submit an offer sheet to him; but more likely he said he'd consider the offer were it formally made.

Would be very interested in how different those offers were from what he eventually signed.

It's always fun when we get these agent leaked stories.  Let's make the player look as good as possible without actually saying anything of substance.  I'm not really sure what they gain from saying this now as opposed to back when he was still unsigned.  But hey, what's a good attention ***** without a few "hey look at me" comments.

It’s pretty much what @Randall Flagg said. The Leafs can move Marner or whichever for futures and cap if absolutely necessary, there will be takers. 

The difference with the Chicago situation is the big deals to the star players were handed out later on in their careers, Marner is in his prime right now and I can’t see there being a lack of suitors. He’s being paid the big $ at the right time. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.