Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

My heart skips a beat every time Brawndo posts in this thread

My hope this season essentially lies in something being posted in here about us in the next couple of weeks

My worry is there is only one position where it'd even make a real difference. 

That absolutely gets Rakell, and maybe some more, assuming they have baseline opinions of Mitts and Risto. If they like one of the two less than an average GM likely would, then we'd be better off offering that package to a team that likes 'em both. Rakell was pretty bad for himself last year so they're in a position of selling relatively low.

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That absolutely gets Rakell, and maybe some more, assuming they have baseline opinions of Mitts and Risto. If they like one of the two less than an average GM likely would, then we'd be better off offering that package to a team that likes 'em both. Rakell was pretty bad for himself last year so they're in a position of selling relatively low.

I wouldn't move both those two in a package for a middle 6 winger though, gotta be a C if Mitts is heading out too, IMO

• Like (+1) 2

We're going to let Tampa pay Point and then offer sheet Cirelli next year when they will by disallowed by the laws of physics and economics from matching it no matter how much they'd like to, and that's how we're going to fix the center position. You heard it here first (actually tenth, I know I've said this at least nine times)  

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

We're going to let Tampa pay Point and then offer sheet Cirelli next year when they will by disallowed by the laws of physics and economics from matching it no matter how much they'd like to, and that's how we're going to fix the center position. You heard it here first (actually tenth, I know I've said this at least nine times)  

That can't be the GMs strategy. Cirelli could just say "no" to the offer sheet. 

Just now, Thorny said:

That can't be the GMs strategy. Cirelli could just say "no" to the offer sheet. 

I'm not saying it's written in the notebooks at KBC, but am proclaiming that this will be how it turns out. Cirelli will be the savior. 

(everyone feel free to beat me over the head with this stuff if he doesn't develop the way I think he will lol, I deserve it for the levels of spam I've hit) 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I'm not saying it's written in the notebooks at KBC, but am proclaiming that this will be how it turns out. Cirelli will be the savior. 

(everyone feel free to beat me over the head with this stuff if he doesn't develop the way I think he will lol, I deserve it for the levels of spam I've hit) 

No, it's on the walls, under "Aggressive and Connected". 

In seriousness, it's a tough prediction to make when offer sheets resulting in the player leaving just don't happen

I think I fixate so much on Cirelli because we're simply not going to be able to trade for a Trocheck, Kuznetsov, Tavares, Malkin, Horvat, Point/Stamkos etc. And it's going to take a while for our prospects to hit that level even if they are capable of it. And giving a lesser guy like Hayes a contract like that is simply not smart. So the next logical step is to find a guy who's not quite there yet, who is hidden deep in a talented lineup, who has drive and talent ready to flourish when given a chance. I skim rosters and can't see a whole lot of centers that fit this description in an obvious way, so I default to talking about the one that I believe in the most. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, it's on the walls, under "Aggressive and Connected". 

In seriousness, it's a tough prediction to make when offer sheets resulting in the player leaving just don't happen

That's why I only suggest this with Tampa. I've been asking for years how they can afford all of their guys, and when Point gets double digits AAV, it will become a reality that they need to start cutting guys loose. And a lot of their vets that they'd like to cut lose have NTCs

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Just you wait. I'm getting more and more nervous by the day with Risto because lack of a 2C might actually ruin Mitts who is a fantastic talent 

My thing was always that this is only evident in his hands, and even then, the little stick wave he does over the puck doesn't do much when an NHL defender with NHL strength bears down on Casey and forces him to be strong on the puck while carrying it. A guy like McDavid has the hand speed WITH a wrist strength/spatial awareness combo such that he doesn't lose pucks, but Mitts' biggest problem is that he's alarmingly bad at hanging onto pucks in the NHL, because his stickhandling is all show and no results. 

I remember his very first prospect scrimmage, we fawned over a video where he buried a backhand bar-down in the shootout, because of the stickhandling he did before it, but when you zoomed in on the video, his stick literally just whipped back and forth over the top of the puck really fast a few times before he slapped it on the backhand, it wasn't actual stick handling. A counter example would be how Dahlin is almost over-cautious in his cradling of the puck with his stick - there is no wasted motion, only such that confirms he has concrete possession of the puck. HIS stickhandling gaffes just come from having his head up, I've rarely seen someone have such a high degree of control of the puck that's on his stick. It's like an NHL video game slider, Casey's is near the bottom in actual puck control while doing his thing where Dahlin's is near the top. Or like the puck is a magnet, and Casey's stick is not magnetic while other skilled players' sticks are, because of technique 

I'm worried this is going to come off as just writing Mitts off completely, I still think he'll be a good NHLer and I just am writing about the things I think he needs to work at before he gets there

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Considering that Faulk and Honka are also available, probably with lower asking prices, it’s a realistic possibility. 

Risto is cheaper and could offer a more physical style closer to Big Buff than Faulk, and he's young/durable/locked up 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.