Must Listen Radio: Caller Duane Snaps Live on GR-55

Kruppstahl

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

And it worked.

I hope the whole thing was a setup. I hope WGR recruited the guy and they practiced the call in a bunker. Work from the inside to overthrow the bozo running the team. Hopeful! Grateful! WOLVERINES!

Edited by PASabreFan

On 1/31/2020 at 8:53 AM, PASabreFan said:

Would this have been smart? The Sabres invite Duane to drop the puck before last night's game. Message: we hear you, Duane. We hear all of you. Thanks for caring.

No, that would have been smart.  It's one thing to listen to the fans but tossing their salad is going too far.

I'm not sure which Offspring song describes Sabres fandom.... is it Self Esteem?

Now I know I'm being used
That's okay man cause I like the abuse
I know she's playing with me
That's okay cause I've got no self esteem...

Well I guess I should stick up for myself
But I really think it's better this way
The more you suffer
The more it shows you really care; Right?...

I may be dumb
But I'm not a dweeb
I'm just a sucker with no self esteem

Or maybe Gone Away?

And it feels
And it feels like
Heaven's so far away

Edited by Doohickie

Not sure where to put this but I think here is a good spot. We flew in to Buffalo last week to watch a couple of games. We saw the sabres play Ottawa. The atmosphere was flat but we outnumbered Ottawa fans 10 to 1. Of course the sabres came out flat after the long break and never really got going. But the Habs game is the one I want to talk about. Coming into that game we were tied in points. And yet close to half of all the fans there were Habs fans. When the teams came out for the warm ups the Habs fans were standing 2-3 deep and had signs all over the glass all around their end. The sabres end only had 20-30 people around the glass and only one sign up at the glass. During the game the Habs fans were louder and more enthusiastic for their team. Again we were tied in points coming into that game. Obviously I don't live in Buffalo, these were the only games I've been to in Buffalo. I have gone to 3 games in Dallas. (They are always enthusiastic for their team as well.) We have lost all five games I've been too... I guess I will take one for the team and quit going to the games?. But a serious question. Why is there no energy and enthusiasm for the sabres? I know that I'm not happy with the state of the team at this point but I still will watch all their games and root for them to win every game. I guess I was just disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm at the games I went to. Seriously I would like to know what you all think is the reason for this. I listened to the clip of Duane's. I wish upper management would do more as well as ownership. But I support the team and always want the best outcome every game.

Edited by sabresouth

44 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Not sure where to put this but I think here is a good spot. We flew in to Buffalo last week to watch a couple of games. We saw the sabres play Ottawa. The atmosphere was flat but we outnumbered Ottawa fans 10 to 1. Of course the sabres came out flat after the long break and never really got going. But the Habs game is the one I want to talk about. Coming into that game we were tied in points. And yet close to half of all the fans there were Habs fans. When the teams came out for the warm ups the Habs fans were standing 2-3 deep and had signs all over the glass all around their end. The sabres end only had 20-30 people around the glass and only one sign up at the glass. During the game the Habs fans were louder and more enthusiastic for their team. Again we were tied in points coming into that game. Obviously I don't live in Buffalo, these were the only games I've been to in Buffalo. I have gone to 3 games in Dallas. (They are always enthusiastic for their team as well.) We have lost all five games I've been too... I guess I will take one for the team and quit going to the games?. But a serious question. Why is there no energy and enthusiasm for the sabres? I know that I'm not happy with the state of the team at this point but I still will watch all their games and root for them to win every game. I guess I was just disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm at the games I went to. Seriously I would like to know what you all think is the reason for this. I listened to the clip of Duane's. I wish upper management would do more as well as ownership. But I support the team and always want the best outcome every game.

What you saw at the Habs game reflects every Habs game I've ever been to, including one in DC.  It's like when the Yankees come to town.

What you saw at the Ottawa game reflects the product on the ice.  It's not our job to entertain the team.  It's the team's job to entertain us.  It wasn't doing that when it came out flat after 9 or 10 days off.

• Like (+1) 1

People WANT to be enthusiastic about the Sabres. I was at Sabres vs Blues last spring and in the closing few minutes, the Zemgus/Larry line made a point to start finishing every check with some force, and the crowd started going nuts and buzzing like crazy even though we didn't really generate many chances. For the last few minutes of the game it was as loud as a building can get for non-goal plays in the NHL regular season and was a symbol that we're here, ready, waiting for a product to be excited about, and will find that excitement in the smallest little thing if they'd just give that to us 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What you saw at the Habs game reflects every Habs game I've ever been to, including one in DC.  It's like when the Yankees come to town.

What you saw at the Ottawa game reflects the product on the ice.  It's not our job to entertain the team.  It's the team's job to entertain us.  It wasn't doing that when it came out flat after 9 or 10 days off.

To expand on this, whenever I go to Sabres games in Raleigh the Sabres crowd enthusiastically root for Buffalo. It’s nothing special for most of the people going to games back in Buffalo and they’re going because they have tickets. Whereas there’s something to be said about arriving in droves to an away game to root on the visitors. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

Why is there no energy and enthusiasm for the sabres? I know that I'm not happy with the state of the team at this point but I still will watch all their games and root for them to win every game. I guess I was just disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm at the games I went to.

At the game in Dallas last month, I though the Sabres fans were pretty loud (myself included).  In fact, I was leading a "LET'S GO BUFFALO" chant when Vesey scored the first Sabres goal of the night.  We weren't that far up, I'm pretty sure the team heard us.

It was the first time I saw the Sabres win in Dallas.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

At the game in Dallas last month, I though the Sabres fans were pretty loud (myself included).  In fact, I was leading a "LET'S GO BUFFALO" chant when Vesey scored the first Sabres goal of the night.  We weren't that far up, I'm pretty sure the team heard us.

On the broadcast, your chant was muffled but audible.  Even remarked during the GDT asking if that was in fact a LGB chant we kind of heard.

Good job. ?

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

People WANT to be enthusiastic about the Sabres. I was at Sabres vs Blues last spring and in the closing few minutes, the Zemgus/Larry line made a point to start finishing every check with some force, and the crowd started going nuts and buzzing like crazy even though we didn't really generate many chances. For the last few minutes of the game it was as loud as a building can get for non-goal plays in the NHL regular season and was a symbol that we're here, ready, waiting for a product to be excited about, and will find that excitement in the smallest little thing if they'd just give that to us 

I agree with this, but the WANT is so thoroughly infused with doubt it gets choked off by the WHAT’S THE POINT? very quickly.

It colours the lens with which many or most of us watch the games. 

And only sustained winning will cure it.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That's great glad you got to see them win. We didn't get to go to the Dallas game because we were going to Buffalo. Bad choice on my part. Hopefully they'll win in Dallas next year.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I agree with this, but the WANT is so thoroughly infused with doubt it gets choked off by the WHAT’S THE POINT? very quickly.

It colours the lens with which many or most of us watch the games. 

And only sustained winning will cure it.

Yes I agree winning makes it easy to cheer for your team. But like I said we were tied with the Habs in points at that game and they had a whole lot more energy. They've had as many losses this year as we've had basically. I do get Eleven's analogy though of the Yankees. I was wondering if it was something like that. 

34 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Yes I agree winning makes it easy to cheer for your team. But like I said we were tied with the Habs in points at that game and they had a whole lot more energy. They've had as many losses this year as we've had basically. I do get Eleven's analogy though of the Yankees. I was wondering if it was something like that. 

Those Habs fans were excited to see their team. The Sabres fans were not and the team fed that by giving them no reason to be.

Through my TV screen it looked appalling.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.