Must Listen Radio: Caller Duane Snaps Live on GR-55

Kruppstahl

1 hour ago, Radar said:

I don't seem to  be able to feel his passion but can't really question what he said. I will be 77 in March. Watched this team from its inception. This is possibly the lowest I sense our fan base has been. Mr. Pegula has not been at all connected to his fans. His spending is unquestionably there but that's not obviously been well spent. He needs to hide a president of hockey with a known pedigree of success  and get out of his way.

what is a president going to do? You need a quality GM...a president doesn't draft or make trades and I still want an explanation on why O'Reilly was traded

Just now, nucci said:

what is a president going to do? You need a quality GM...a president doesn't draft or make trades and I still want an explanation on why O'Reilly was traded

A good, qualified president should be in charge. The GM would be under his control. As I said Pegula should step aside.

34 minutes ago, ... said:

Of course they did. Shan't bite the hand that feeds ya.

No big deal, though, you know. 

giphy.gif

Ok, so we have a different opinion on what is a “big deal”. Taking down a tweet from a ranting unhinged listener (who, if you missed it, is my cousin, lol) doesn’t rise to that level. For me. Personally. It’s still readily available for consumption by the masses. And quite easily. And taking down said tweet doesn’t (for me)  rise to a burning house with a guy grabbing his head in anguish.  Again, we have a different opinion on what “big deal” is. Ok then, cool.

I suppose if someone really cared that much and wanted to know why it was pulled down, they could try contacting the one who posted it in the first place. ?‍♂️

Edited by Zamboni

29 minutes ago, Radar said:

A good, qualified president should be in charge. The GM would be under his control. As I said Pegula should step aside.

And that president is the one who hires the GM.

26 minutes ago, ... said:

The Pegulas talking about the Sabres:

8672_baa3.gif

It's lame that teams have to stage things like this.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Soooooooo lame.  It's right up there with every arena having the same music package.  Now they all have to have the same stupid stunts, too.

For the most part I absolutely agree with the whole Music package being lame… However there are a few arenas that I think play “better music“ or at least mix it in better. I’ve noticed Montreal, San Jose, and Vegas do a better job than the other arenas.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Ok, so we have a different opinion on what is a “big deal”. Taking down a tweet from a ranting unhinged listener (who, if you missed it, is my cousin, lol) doesn’t rise to that level. For me. Personally. It’s still readily available for consumption by the masses. And quite easily. And taking down said tweet doesn’t (for me)  rise to a burning house with a guy grabbing his head in anguish.  Again, we have a different opinion on what “big deal” is. Ok then, cool.

I suppose if someone really cared that much and wanted to know why it was pulled down, they could try contacting the one who posted it in the first place. ?‍♂️

It's a big deal in that Sabre fans on Twitter have picked it up and are running with it. #WeAreAllDuane

Your cousin vocalized on the air what a lot of us feel...and he's right. The Sabres are actively trying to tamp it down.  That's the big deal.

• Like (+1) 1

One of the coolest developments in my life over the past five years was my younger sister discovering what made hockey such a pivotal part of who I am growing up. She began to love the game and the team, and watching someone else go through that rekindled my own experience and enjoyment of the Sabres, and more importantly, gave me something that I can genuinely bond with her over - this was in short supply beforehand, just because of our age and gender gap. This is partly why I was so gutted by the ROR trade, and management circumstances that created the season that led to it. 

It's also why this call resonated with me, as I watch her indifference grow. She has watched maybe one game in the last two months or so. Has never seen anything but dysfunction from the franchise. I insist that pre-Terry, they were a top-tier franchise as far as winning games in the regular season goes, and have at least given me SOME unforgetable postseason moments, and many fans more than some. She can't imagine it and can't see how this team will get there in short order, and I don't disagree with her.

This team is stripping me a vessel by which my younger sister actually wants to spend time with me. That's the kind of thing that makes a guy like Duane sound like he needs a valium, or like he's an angry ranting lunatic. Those feelings driving his rant are there for a reason, and I understand them, and I feel them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ... said:

giphy.gif

It's a big deal in that Sabre fans on Twitter have picked it up and are running with it. #WeAreAllDuane

Your cousin vocalized on the air what a lot of us feel...and he's right. The Sabres are actively trying to tamp it down.  That's the big deal.

Ok. I I disagree that the Sabres actually think that in 2020 you can tamp down anything once it’s out in the inter-webs or Twitter verse and think it would be successful in hiding it. And knowing it won’t be successful, to me at least… It’s not a big deal.  Again, I think instead of speculation, someone should who is on twitter, straight up ask why it was removed. See if ya get an answer. And one mistake I see that a lot of people make is thinking that just because Twitter is trending in a certain direction with an opinion doesn’t mean it represents the masses. In fact I would guess the percentage of (and we’ll just keep it to Sabres fans) Who are on Twitter and actively talking about any particular topic with the team is probably at 5 - 7%. So 93 to 95% of Sabres fans aren’t even on Twitter or aren’t participating in the discussions online regarding the Sabres. 
I hope somebody actually tries to ask that question and hopefully somebody will supply an answer as to why it was taken down.

I think what gets me about our friend Duane here is that you can hear him calculating whether or not he wants to be the guy who calls in and raises his voice on a sports radio show. He's very clearly trying not to be "that guy" at the beginning of the call; he's self-aware. He's probably listened to plenty of sports talk where guys call in and rant and he knows those guys usually sound foolish.

He weighs it out in real time. You can feel it. You can visualize him throwing his hands up in pure, honest frustration and saying "screw it".

The hangup is what seals it. He knows as soon as he's done that he's crossed a threshold he never wanted to cross. You can hear the shame in his voice.

He shouldn't feel bad about it, and he probably doesn't by now. But in the moment you could tell he did. And that's what makes it so genuine.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow he has 1,400 followers and slowly growing yesterday and today. It would be interesting to hear him on WGR for an in studio discussion about the Sabres. See if he can have clarity in his thoughts and rational conversation longer than 3 mins. More than a rant would be nice. I would tune in! 

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Ever hear of The Streisand Effect?

I'm at a breaking point with this team too.

I think of my Father, who passed away in 2008. Some of the last words he ever spoke to me were, "I hope you see the Sabres win the cup someday." I can't imagine how heartbroken he would be, he was one of the biggest Sabres fans I've ever known. Nothing gave him joy like watching the Sabres with his family.

That elusive Stanley Cup has never felt so far away for me. It's hard for me to even watch the games, I usually just fall asleep or end up on my phone/laptop.

For once I don't blame my nephews for wanting to find new teams to root for...this is becoming so bad, I've thought about it too. (But it's impossible for me.)

I don't trust Botterill. I don't trust Krueger. I don't trust the Pegulas. I feel like this is going to go on so long that we'll see Jack Eichel force his way out of here.

I don't care about jersey colors, giveaways, or 50th Anniversary celebrations, all I want is to see this team playing hockey in April and May again.

Sorry for my rambling. It's hard to put my thoughts together when I think of this team. It hurts to talk about. I love this team but it's eating me up inside to watch this mess. I really hope they can get it together this summer and put a better roster together. This can't go on much longer or I might just lose interest.

Edited by OhMyDahlin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ... said:

Curious that there's nothing from WGR 550, nothing from the Instigators, pretty much nothing from anyone with a money connection to the Sabres on this. I am surprised they're leaving the clip on the website.

The fact the clip is still up, in my opinion, shoots down this theory that the Sabres got to the station. I don't know what explains a missing tweet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.