Must Listen Radio: Caller Duane Snaps Live on GR-55

Kruppstahl

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Uh because the team was more successful in those jerseys than in any other jersey they’ve ever worn? Also I’m not sure why but I feels like you’re trying to disparage those fans which if it’s the case I’m completely baffled as to why.

Because the goatheads were stupid.  Lets be all trendy and COMPLETELY ABANDON THE COLOR SCHEME OF OUR FRANCHISES ENTIRE EXISTENCE.  We dont have Buffaslugs without goatheads.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yes. It's why we all come here, right.  To spout our meaningless opinions with other mouth breathers seeing who drools the most.  I've got a big ***** puddle under my feet.

I mean, there’s really no arguing against “because they’re stupid.” There’s a lot of reasons to like the goat head and there’s a whole heck of a lot of people, especially within youth hockey circles all throughout the country, who grew up with that jersey scheme as their favorite. The only people who didn’t like the the goat heads were curmudgeons who hate change.  

13 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I mean, there’s really no arguing against “because they’re stupid.” There’s a lot of reasons to like the goat head and there’s a whole heck of a lot of people, especially within youth hockey circles all throughout the country, who grew up with that jersey scheme as their favorite. The only people who didn’t like the the goat heads were curmudgeons who hate change.  

In all honesty, I liked them when they came out.  I was 25 and all about the black color scheme abound in North American Sports.  BTW, that movement was popularized by west coast rap, most notably, N.W.A.  Which I was all about at the time.  I wonder if everyone would feel as warm and fuzzy about those jerseys if they knew that.  Anywho, as I got older and more mature, I realized those jerseys were just a fad and an organizational ploy to enhance revenue through catchy marketing gimmicktry.  Just like the slug which became this organization's scarlet letter.  So as cool as everyone thought the goat heads were, in my mature mind, they have become a symbol for this organizations lack of identity and overly fluid persona.  Stand for something for Christ's sake, don't just jump on whatever passing fad seems cool that might make you a few bucks.  Look at the Red Wings.  That jersey is ***** iconic.  What do we have?  Chinese knockoffs shiny gold misspelled sweater Du jour.  @PASabreFan

1 minute ago, inkman said:

In all honesty, I liked them when they came out.  I was 25 and all about the black color scheme abound in North American Sports.  BTW, that movement was popularized by west coast rap, most notably, N.W.A.  Which I was all about at the time.  I wonder if everyone would feel as warm and fuzzy about those jerseys if they knew that.  Anywho, as I got older and more mature, I realized those jerseys were just a fad and an organizational ploy to enhance revenue through catchy marketing gimmicktry.  Just like the slug which became this organization's scarlet letter.  So as cool as everyone thought the goat heads were, in my mature mind, they have become a symbol for this organizations lack of identity and overly fluid persona.  Stand for something for Christ's sake, don't just jump on whatever passing fad seems cool that might make you a few bucks.  Look at the Red Wings.  That jersey is ***** iconic.  What do we have?  Chinese knockoffs shiny gold misspelled sweater Du jour.  @PASabreFan

I didn’t know the goat was inspired by NWA and now I only like it even more. I think the overwhelming majority of those who liked it still like it and that would prove it wasn’t a passing fad. I wear my goathead stuff to work all the time and anyone who follows hockey always compliments me on it. I would like the royal blue much more if we wore white a home. It’s not that I’m not a fan, there’s just something...dusty (?) about it in an attic sort of way. That’s not saying change is needed and classic isn’t classic, there’s just something too 70s about it, just like there’s something too 90s about the goat for many.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't know Duane, but he seems genuine. The "rant" sounded organic, like it's not even what he intended. I kind of doubt he got up that morning with the intention of becoming "famous."

Regardless of what his intentions were, you don't think that there are plenty of people sitting at home, seeing these reactions, and trying to plan one of their own?  In a day and age where people post videos of them eating tide pods, a fake radio rant would be so much easier.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

Regardless of what his intentions were, you don't think that there are plenty of people sitting at home, seeing these reactions, and trying to plan one of their own?  In a day and age where people post videos of them eating tide pods, a fake radio rant would be so much easier.

It would seem that the problem is with those who are gutless unethical followers, rather than the person who has the gonads to step up to the plate. #wannabe's

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, shrader said:

Probably. I think Duane was a genuine moment in media, and we're so not used to those, many can't recognize it as such and let their cynicism get in the way.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Probably. I think Duane was a genuine moment in media, and we're so not used to those, many can't recognize it as such and let their cynicism get in the way.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the person or fans that are sitting there saying "I wish that was me who said that". I'm just talking about those who would be sitting there trying to think up a fake rant to gain attention to themselves.

51 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the person or fans that are sitting there saying "I wish that was me who said that". I'm just talking about those who would be sitting there trying to think up a fake rant to gain attention to themselves.

And that's exactly what the internet is.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

And that's exactly what the internet is.

That's too wide a brush, like saying telephones are about making crank calls. Anyway, it's a funny thing for someone to say while posting on a board whose purpose is to allow us to post fake rants in order to gain attention to ourselves. Too wide a brush?

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That's too wide a brush, like saying telephones are about making crank calls. Anyway, it's a funny thing for someone to say while posting on a board whose purpose is to allow us to post fake rants in order to gain attention to ourselves. Too wide a brush?

I think there's a huge difference in SS and the places like youtube and the likes. Most posters here are at the least some what knowledgeable about the topic at hand and have an opinion on it and back it up with some facts. The other thing is that they seem more genuine in their beliefs/ opinions and have some input on how to achieve what they desire....whether everyone agrees or not is aside. They may hope to warrant a future "I told you so" but it's far less than what eating tide pods or licking toads might attempt to accomplish.

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think there's a huge difference in SS and the places like youtube and the likes. Most posters here are at the least some what knowledgeable about the topic at hand and have an opinion on it and back it up with some facts. The other thing is that they seem more genuine in their beliefs/ opinions and have some input on how to achieve what they desire....whether everyone agrees or not is aside. They may hope to warrant a future "I told you so" but it's far less than what eating tide pods or licking toads might attempt to accomplish.

PA wasn’t commenting on genuine-ness of the folks that post here.  It was about the “look at me” of the folks here.

Everyone here has an element of it.

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

PA wasn’t commenting on genuine-ness of the folks that post here.  It was about the “look at me” of the folks here.

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Point taken and received .....but, wide brush?

16 hours ago, inkman said:

Because the goatheads were stupid.  Lets be all trendy and COMPLETELY ABANDON THE COLOR SCHEME OF OUR FRANCHISES ENTIRE EXISTENCE.  We dont have Buffaslugs without goatheads.  

We don't need to re-litigate the decision to switch colors back in the '90s, but perhaps you have already forgotten why we did that. It was an attempt to burn the past of a more or less terrible franchise and create a fresh beginning.  One in which we all had hope that things would be better than one playoff series and done for the rest of our lives.

I loved the uniform change as our black/white/gold scheme is ugly and the all black was cool and intimidating.  Black is universal and the best color in fashion; that's not a trend.  

The goat heads sucked.  No getting around that; but that could have been fixed.

You also have to remember that there is an entire generation of fans who sort of "came of age" in their fandom with the team wearing those black/white/red uniforms. (I'm not one of them but I acknowledge they are out there).

The decision to blow off those uniforms blows off a piece of Sabres history--good or bad--and it gives the finger to that fan group in particular.

You don't have to agree, but the decision to not wear the correct uniforms for that period was a marketing disaster and a horrible look for a middling franchise.

Nothing new there.

Edited by Kruppstahl

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Oh come on, let's not take it 100% literally.  Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit for the sake of making a point.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Wait. You don't lick the Tide Pods and eat the toads?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

We don't need to re-litigate the decision to switch colors back in the '90s, but perhaps you have already forgotten why we did that. It was an attempt to burn the past of a more or less terrible franchise and create a fresh beginning.  One in which we all had hope that things would be better than one playoff series and done for the rest of our lives.

I loved the uniform change as our black/white/gold scheme is ugly and the all black was cool and intimidating.  Black is universal and the best color in fashion; that's not a trend.  

The goat heads sucked.  No getting around that; but that could have been fixed.

You also have to remember that there is an entire generation of fans who sort of "came of age" in their fandom with the team wearing those black/white/red uniforms. (I'm not one of them but I acknowledge they are out there).

The decision to blow off those uniforms blows off a piece of Sabres history--good or bad--and it gives the finger to that fan group in particular.

You don't have to agree, but the decision to not wear the correct uniforms for that period was a marketing disaster and a horrible look for a middling franchise.

Nothing new there.

Wat?

That so called terrible franchise had one of the best all time records in the NHL.  The goat heads were a cash grab by a new owner who happened to be a white collar criminal that would eventually drive the Sabres to being operated by the league.  Those unis should be vilified for that reason alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Does a generic version of the tide pod count?

edit: Oh crap, you're going to take that one literally too.

when I first heard about Tide Pods I was trying to find the station on Sirius XM radio.

I thought maybe I could get tips on money laundering.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wat?

That so called terrible franchise had one of the best all time records in the NHL.  The goat heads were a cash grab by a new owner who happened to be a white collar criminal that would eventually drive the Sabres to being operated by the league.  Those unis should be vilified for that reason alone.

Rigas wasn't the owner then, but he was an influential figure who had infused the franchise with cash. It's a little murky right now, but I don't think he was technically the owner even when they went to the final. That didn't happen until 2000, I think. There's always been speculation that the black and red color scheme was meant to match Adelphia's colors.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Rigas wasn't the owner then, but he was an influential figure who had infused the franchise with cash. It's a little murky right now, but I don't think he was technically the owner even when they went to the final. That didn't happen until 2000, I think. There's always been speculation that the black and red color scheme was meant to match Adelphia's colors.

My recollection was the sale was well underway and he was calling the shots at that point.

Just now, Weave said:

My recollection was the sale was well underway and he was calling the shots at that point.

I don't know. The sales agreement was in the spring of 1998. I think that's when they started having operational control. We know quite a bit about the origin of the slug, but not that much about the goathead. Would be worth digging into. If there's anything to dig into. Cash grab seems right. The franchise was struggling to stay afloat in an era of rising salaries. The Knoxes couldn't just go sell another piece of art.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.