Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Roster Moves John Gilmour on Waivers, Sobotka to LTIR, Tage to IR, Bogo activated

Recommended Posts

@Randall Flagggets this.

If we're making any moves before the deadline, ideally, before Christmas, to actually improve this roster, it's not just Risto who is moving.  It's going to be Risto/McCabe, Risto/Scandella, Scandella/McCabe...or something.  Our marvelous, deep, D corps, which every successful team needs, will be shot if Gilmour gets picked up.  This is yet another sign that Botterill lacks a real plan and RK can't keep his word or has no idea what to do with this roster (or both). 

I also like what Gilmour brings. I think he'd make a solid depth D man for a playoff team.

I do not like Nelson and Pilut is another way over-rated D man.  You people like your soft D. A lot of good they're doing us.

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Randall put it, it isn't just the likely loss of a fringe player.  It's the 3-4 month window that showed this move to be inevitable barring a trade (ideally for top 6 F help, which also SHOULD be inevitable) and an inability to make any move in that time frame to keep the likely loss of this fringe player non-inevitable and at the same time improve the roster moving forward.

It's also the quotes about how attempts to improve the forwards can't deplete the back end depth.  Well, this is (likely) a move that didn't improve the forwards but did decrease the D depth.

On an unrelated note, did Okposo get placed on LTIR or regular?  He was not listed as a scratch last night.  The scratches per MSG were Bogosian, Miller, and Gilmour.  Which implies Kyle is at least on IR and also implies someone other than Bogosian & Hunwick were on LTIR as the team didn't have cap room to have any of Lazar, Asplund, nor Thompson on the big club prior to Bogosian going to LTIR.

(Maybe the Sobotka to LTIR move happened yesterday and is just getting reported today?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, miles said:

I dont understand why gilmour is on waivers? Can it be explained why

The confusion might be the word 'waivers'. He was sent to Rochester because Bogosian is now healthy, but since he is enough of a veteran, another team can claim him before he gets to Rochester. If he was younger, he could just be sent to Rochester.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Are we keeping all of these defensemen? It sure doesn't sound like it. If one of these trades goes down, then we're a better team for having one more player between us and Nelson. If we make a move, then we should have made it before we came into camp with no forwards and 10 NHL defensemen. Or before our forward roster ever got to this point in the first place.

The fact remains that it's a tiny, not super significant, but still existent consequence of something bigger about Botterill's roster construction that deserves the scrutiny it gets, and so it's with that perspective that the move will be talked about. Even if that move is waiving the 7D. Because details matter

 

 

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Put another way, when I see "OH! Zach Bogosian is back and ready to play NHL hockey for the Buffalo Sabres, in addition to benching Scandella or Miller already out of sheer volume. So we have to waive John Gilmour" 

I don't think "wow our GM is savvy", or even "meh I couldn't care less," I think "what on earth are we doing, what is the plan here?" 

This sentiment is more than fair.  If we haven't arrived there yet, we're very close to the place where JB does not get the benefit of the doubt.

But it's still based on the assumption, which can't be known and is quite possibly false, that there was at least one trade available for one of the Sabres' defensemen that would've improved the team. 

You're far from the only one making this assumption, and it might very well be true, but I think we need to remember that this entire line of thinking is entirely based on a huge unknown element.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

 

This sentiment is more than fair.  If we haven't arrived there yet, we're very close to the place where JB does not get the benefit of the doubt.

But it's still based on the assumption, which can't be known and is quite possibly false, that there was at least one trade available for one of the Sabres' defensemen that would've improved the team. 

You're far from the only one making this assumption, and it might very well be true, but I think we need to remember that this entire line of thinking is entirely based on a huge unknown element.

I agree that it ALWAYS takes two to tango, and you can never be sure opportunities were there.

But I give far more leniency to GMs for not making a move to help the team when things have, on balance, gone well, versus when we may be on a crash course for 3/3 seasons being unacceptable in outcome. There comes a point where a GM earns perhaps even unrealistic expectations on a given offseason or for a given roster move, even if they're "unfair" in a vacuum, because he has contributed enough to the problems in the first place. That point is usually very close to their termination.

ie, yeah, it's hard to trade for a 2C and most offseasons you can't. But when you're willing to dump yours for Sobotka, Tage, Berglund, a first rounder that can't be in an enticing position due to lottery protection, and a 2nd rounder 3 years out, you had better damn well be the guy to find a way.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Our marvelous, deep, D corps, which every successful team needs, will be shot if Gilmour gets picked up.”

This has to be the post of the season.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, rakish said:

The confusion might be the word 'waivers'. He was sent to Rochester because Bogosian is now healthy, but since he is enough of a veteran, another team can claim him before he gets to Rochester. If he was younger, he could just be sent to Rochester.

So, let me think out loud, we're waiving Gilmour to make room for Bogosian who will be a UFA at season's end. So potentially losing both for nowt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steveoath said:

So, let me think out loud, we're waiving Gilmour to make room for Bogosian who will be a UFA at season's end. So potentially losing both for nowt?

Yeah, so?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, miles said:

I dont understand why gilmour is on waivers? Can it be explained why

Likely to bring a spare forward up for either the upcoming Florida road trip or at minimum when the next inevitable tweak to a forward prevents them from dressing 12 of their current healthy 12 F's.

They aren't going to have 3 spare D and no spare F's traveling with the team on a regular basis.

They felt they could get away with using Gilmour as a F in Chicago (ooops)  (not that he was the reason they lost, but they probably would've constructed the lines differently had he not been in the lineup).  At least they seem to be not planning on making that mistake again.  (They're rather make a bigger 1 it seems.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“Our marvelous, deep, D corps, which every successful team needs, will be shot if Gilmour gets picked up.”

This has to be the post of the season.

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like JBOT, but it seems like he mismanaged his assets by letting it get to this point of exposing Gilmour to waivers.  He should have done something to ameliorate this well in advance. of BOGO coming off LTIR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many GM’s do this every year. Sometimes several times a year.

Some of you need to look at the waiver wire once a week to see the barren wasteland it is most of the time. Gilmore is nice depth. But certainly nothing to get all twisted in knots about. Geesh.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zamboni said:

Many GM’s do this every year. Sometimes several times a year.

Some of you need to look at the waiver wire once a week to see the barren wasteland it is most of the time. Gilmore is nice depth. But certainly nothing to get all twisted in knots about. Geesh.

Yup. John Gilmour exists to be waived. That's who he is. Teams are going to sign him, or claim him, or waive him, forever, and they aren't going to think twice about it.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ... said:

You people like your soft D.

Not me. I like mine rock hard. 
 

Seriously though, this is a move by either 1) a GM that does not have a plan or 2) a GM that wants to put the best players on the ice and isn’t going to be bullied into a undesirable trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tondas said:

I like JBOT, but it seems like he mismanaged his assets by letting it get to this point of exposing Gilmour to waivers.  He should have done something to ameliorate this well in advance. of BOGO coming off LTIR.

 

The bolded has to be the word of the day.  Well done.  And I am not even sure what it means, but it looks fantastic and reads even better.

Waiving Gilmour should not be a big deal.

If there was a decent trade to have been made prior to this point it would have been made.  End of story.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The bolded has to be the word of the day.  Well done.  And I am not even sure what it means, but it looks fantastic and reads even better.

Waiving Gilmour should not be a big deal.

If there was a decent trade to have been made prior to this point it would have been made.  End of story.

Kinda like mitigate... but more to adjust in advance so as to not get stuck in a bad spot.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Kinda like mitigate... but more to adjust in advance so as to not get stuck in a bad spot.

Thanks.

And why does your user profile thingie say Temp?  Everyone else it says Member, unless you are a Mod, or SDS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taro T said:

On an unrelated note, did Okposo get placed on LTIR or regular?  He was not listed as a scratch last night.  The scratches per MSG were Bogosian, Miller, and Gilmour.  Which implies Kyle is at least on IR and also implies someone other than Bogosian & Hunwick were on LTIR as the team didn't have cap room to have any of Lazar, Asplund, nor Thompson on the big club prior to Bogosian going to LTIR.

(Maybe the Sobotka to LTIR move happened yesterday and is just getting reported today?)

I wonder if they even could LTIR Okposo. Concussions are such a mixed bag. Even with his history I wonder if they could actually make the claim the he’d be out that long. I haven’t seen the injury list so I don’t know what they have him listed at, even if that’s not exactly a scientific system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Should waive Bogosian, not Gilmour.

What did Gilmour ever do to get such respect? 

Edited by Pimlach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...