GDT: Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 10-3-2019, 7pm EDT

WildCard

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Like the nfreeman acronym SDS? I'm the founder of SDS. A lineup choice that I disagree with doesn't mean I hate the coach and want my hockey team to lose? That's what I'm referring to when I talk of the "universe you're building."

You've now got a string of posts that makes stuff up and projects things that people aren't actually saying.

Does this have anything to do with me? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

Does this have anything to do with me? 

That's why I'm clarifying, I was a bit confused. I think he's referring to "Sobotka Derangement Syndrome." I called myself the founder because I'm pretty sure my anti-Vlad fervor goes back the farthest 

And, I might add, wound up correct last year despite heavy opposition last summer and fall

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Combining these two facts with a team that has the fewest wins int he last 7 years might make me sound "happy to lose," but that's not the case at all. I root for the team, and call its decisions how I see them. I literally couldn't care less if I wind up being wrong, but my goal is to be as accurate as I can be, and LEARN from when I'm wrong, which happens all the time. Again, see the tenor of my posts in the Bills thread, now that I have a lot of confidence in just about everything the Bills' front office does. 

Given my support of the Bills front office last year and the roasting I got from everyone, I think a nice big cookie is in order.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Given my support of the Bills front office last year and the roasting I got from everyone, I think a nice big cookie is in order.

You'll get a beer emoji and like it.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

So we have...

Reinhart not running his own line

Skinner away from Jack

Sobotka on the 2nd line with Skinner

Scandella in the lineup at all

Hutton starting on the road where he has been atrocious (.896sv% last year)

and 

Evan Rodrigues is on the ***** bench. 

Oh yea, I am soooo optimistic. I can't get any more excited for this comedy of errors. 

It’s almost like they haven’t listened to a word you said....

?

Edited by dudacek

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

Passing the final judgement far too early.  If there's a more appropriate description of Buffalo sports, I can't think of one.

I was in Buffalo last week for the Pats* game.  As usual, had a great time but disappointed by the outcome of the game. 

So glad that hockey is starting.  We brought home two large Mr. Pizza's.   I will have some for todays game.  Would love to start the season with a win in a tough place like Pittsburgh. 

Another New Era starts tonight.

So here we are once gain.

Hope anew for something we can all get behind and get our fill of solid, exciting, have a chance to get the next level hockey. 

Can't wait to see how the team looks and plays.

Looking for my chance to razz all my PGH penguins co-workers that have owned us for to long. 

Lets go Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Replace Sobotka with Erod and I don't hate my life

When that change gets made and once Montour and Pilut are both back into the lineup, it fully comes down to can Johansson and Mittelstadt be good enough to not torpedo their 2 lines.  If they can, and they should be, this team is close.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Scandella-Jokiharju scares the hell out of me.

True, but the top 2 pairings will each get 22-24 minutes and the top PP only uses 1 D, so those 2 will get about 14 & 10 minutes each W/ Scandella 's extra time on the PK.  They should be able to handle that barring untimely icings.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So we have...

Reinhart not running his own line

Skinner away from Jack

Sobotka on the 2nd line with Skinner

Scandella in the lineup at all

Hutton starting on the road where he has been atrocious (.896sv% last year)

and 

Evan Rodrigues is on the ***** bench. 

Oh yea, I am soooo optimistic. I can't get any more excited for this comedy of errors. 

Reinhart will finally have a season he comes out of the gate quickly because he's playing with Eichel.  That's a win.

And Skinner being away from Eichel means Olofsson gets to be with Jack.  That's only a slight loss, almost a wash even.

Sobotka and Rodrigues ... well, hoping Mr. Krueger figures that out quickly.  But it is what it is for today.

Scandella is in because Pilut hasn't played at all since April and Gilmour paired with Jokiharju facing Crosby and Malkin after a long shift leading to an icing is extremely scary.  He's going to get 14 minutes and be OK.  And were Montour and/or Pilut ready there's not much likelihood he'd be in.

Hutton is, for now, the 1st goalie in a goalie platoon.  If neither particularly outshines the other would expect he ends up w/ about 46 starts to Ullmark 's 36.  Am expecting Linus to step up and those starts will end up reversed by the end of the year, but for now Carter is the starter.

My biggest concern is still 2C & 3C but I believe RK has set up the C spine as well as he could with what he was given to work with.  Liking that Mittelstadt has 2 vets with good speed to work with.  Not thrilled that none of the 3 are known for quality play in their own end but the only way to "fix" that with Mitts getting that start would be to put E-Rod or Sobotka there in place of Sheary most likely and either word be a downgrade overall.  Could definitely see Thompson in the Sheary role when he gets called back up.  (And could see Lazar in Okposo's role as well.). But for now, this is what's available. 

Take away 1 well griped about decision and this lineup isn't too far from optimized.  The rest of the decisions are at least debatable rather than flat out deplorable. Baby steps.   ?

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1