GDT: Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 10-3-2019, 7pm EDT

WildCard

Whatever problems this roster might have, it's not a bad enough roster that we don't have a real chance tonight or any given night. So while my big picture view is skeptical, I'm excited and will have a lot of fun today! And if they're going to surprise the less optimistic fans, it starts tonight. It's very possible that Krueger combined with young guns taking a step and a defense reaching critical mass will lead to very good things very quickly. 

Either way, we might get blitzed tonight. Pittsburgh has a habit of going big either way early in the season - seems like I'm always either watching them win 6-0 or lose 7-1 in October. So, like any other individual game, let's not sweat this one if things don't go our way. It's going to take 15-20 games to get a real handle on what the team is. 

Also, remember that if Jack starts out slow in the goal scoring department, it's because we don't play PHI/TOR for a while. The guy was pacing for like 12 goals for about two months last year, and then five periods against those two teams turned it into a 30 goal pace. Likewise, Sobotka scored twice in one game last year, so a good performance or bad performance by anyone tonight doesn't cement anything ?

Let's go Buffalo! Excited to watch:
Olofsson with our two best passers
Johansson with Skinner
Dahlin, Miller
Joki in NHL action

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This is the wrong night for me to quit sniffing glue.

There's no right night for that

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Michael Jordan quit. Twice! Three times if you count baseball. 

"quit" aka was forced out of the league briefly for gambling 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

As a man of letters you should know the difference between sabbatical and quitting. ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

We've scored more than one goal on opening night only once in the last six tries. It was when we scored twice in a loss to Montreal 2 years ago. A total of six goals in the last six opening days.

Let's get some goals tonight!!

Jesus Christ that's depressing lmao

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

We've scored more than one goal on opening night only once in the last six tries. It was when we scored twice in a loss to Montreal 2 years ago. A total of six goals in the last six opening days.

Man, if that isn't an accurate distillation of the malaise this team suffers from I don't know what is.

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

ADVANCED STATS...i hate it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Pitts defense last year combined for an average of 55 games played, 24 goals, 104 assists and 128 total points

Buffalo's defense last year combined for an average of 61 games, 30 goals, 123 assists, and 153 total points

This is based on projected starters, I used miller's vegas numbers but Montour's Buffalo numbers (20games)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

lol he exudes a confidence that is going to make his detractors plain miserable.

The little universe you're building for yourself is interesting to watch unfold. 

There aren't any Ralph detractors, and nobody is going to be miserable if we're good lmaoooo

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Pitts defense last year combined for an average of 55 games played, 24 goals, 104 assists and 128 total points

Buffalo's defense last year combined for an average of 61 games, 30 goals, 123 assists, and 153 total points

This is based on projected starters, I used miller's vegas numbers but Montour's Buffalo numbers (20games)

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

ADVANCED STATS...i hate it.

^^^^ THIS.?

I have my jersey waiting for me on the back of the couch.  Now I just need to pick up the beer on the way home.

36 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I know that much like Rocky V, he doesn't actually exist, but old man Washington Jordan quit too.

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The little universe you're building for yourself is interesting to watch unfold. 

There aren't any Ralph detractors, and nobody is going to be miserable if we're good lmaoooo

I agree. I am willing to give Krueger a chance. I can simultaneously like some of what he has done and also lambaste him for the Sobotka move without feeling miserable.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's always fun to me when it's suggested people are going to be unhappy if the team is good. Are you kidding me? Were you living under a rock during the win streak last year? Even the most pessimistic amongst us want a bandwagon to jump on! 

• Like (+1) 4