GDT: Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 10-3-2019, 7pm EDT

WildCard

My son's high school football team (my son was in the marching band, not a football player) went from having a best season of 3-7 all time, to winning a state championship.  The rallying call that the media put on them was "Who ARE these guys???"  No respect at all.  Just win and keep winning, let the haters hate.  That's part of the fun.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Hot takes/tweets are what get engagement, recognition, and money. Is it right? Of course not. But it's the game, and that's the way it's played

Is Chad making money at this? I don't know it works, really, but I'd be surprised if he is.

I don't know much about fancy stats. But we're on pace for 164 points! Nice feeling ?

Serious note. We were fantastic to watch last night. And did Mittelstadt mean to set up sheary's second with that heel pass? That was sick! *As the kids would say*

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, steveoath said:

And did Mittelstadt mean to set up sheary's second with that heel pass?

The play he made on the puck looked very intentional. I'm sure it was. Now, he probably only meant to put it into an area where a teammate could make a play on it, in which case -- success.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

The play he made on the puck looked very intentional. I'm sure it was. Now, he probably only meant to put it into an area where a teammate could make a play on it, in which case -- success.

Agreed, I thought there was a fair amount of luck to it just based on the absurd direction the puck took from the heel of the blade, but it was definitely a move meant to get the puck to Conor. 

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Was great move. I think actually lifted the defenders stick before too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is Chad making money at this? I don't know it works, really, but I'd be surprised if he is.

He probably gets paid for his Die by the Blade articles, but I don't think he does any of his own stats/websites, so nothing about what he tweets should provide him with compensation. He's basically just a dude who made me think he had sources a while ago, but hasn't broken anything ever and has pretty boring hockey takes to come with an elitist attitude provided by stats

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Agreed, I thought there was a fair amount of luck to it just based on the absurd direction the puck took from the heel of the blade, but it was definitely a move meant to get the puck to Conor. 

Yep.  There was a near identical play earlier in the power play where Dahlin took a shot from the blue line, Reino (who was in the same spot as Mitts was on his assist) at first tried to jam the puck, then flipped it back to Olofsson who got off a good shot that was saved by Murray.  It was virtually the same setup, the same action, except that Reino tried to put in the rebound himself before passing to the open area.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yep.  There was a near identical play earlier in the power play where Dahlin took a shot from the blue line, Reino (who was in the same spot as Mitts was on his assist) at first tried to jam the puck, then flipped it back to Olofsson who got off a good shot that was saved by Murray.  It was virtually the same setup, the same action, except that Reino tried to put in the rebound himself before passing to the open area.

I noticed that as well.  Almost as if it is a designed play.

• Like (+1) 1

Upon reflection this morning I think the best way to sum the game up is this ...

Every single player was asked to do very specific things and were put into a positon to not only perform the things they were asked to do, but put into a position to succeed at it.  Not one player was asked to do something they could not do.

Granted it was one game, but the above is squarly on RaKru.  The Sabres players were coached to win and they listened.  This is some thing that has not happened in a very long time.  RaKru took the roster as constructed and used it perfectly.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Upon reflection this morning I think the best way to sum the game up is this ...

Every single player was asked to do very specific things and were put into a positon to not only perform the things they were asked to do, but put into a position to succeed at it.  Not one player was asked to do something they could not do.

Granted it was one game, but the above is squarly on RaKru.  The Sabres players were coached to win and they listened.  This is some thing that has not happened in a very long time.  RaKru took the roster as constructed and used it perfectly.

I stared at RaKru for 2 minutes before I figured it out. I'm an idiot...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I stared at RaKru for 2 minutes before I figured it out. I'm an idiot...

You are not an idiot.  You just missed all of the @PASabreFan sponsored training sessions, but you are in luck since the refresher sessions (not all SabreSpacers have bought into the RaKru thingie) are just about to start up.  Registration is easy ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

You are not an idiot.  You just missed all of the @PASabreFan sponsored training sessions, but you are in luck since the refresher sessions (not all SabreSpacers have bought into the RaKru thingie) are just about to start up.  Registration is easy ...

Yup. Because it's terrible.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I for one am glad Ristolainen isn't traded, I always loved seeing him play.   Him and McCabe can really punish opposing players and they make a good team.

He certainly made a case last night for his remaining here. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up.

49 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Good article by Harrington, credit where credit is due

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/03/buffalo-sabres-ralph-krueger-nhl/

Amazingly well written by a writer that's been an outcast in Buffalo sports as of late.

Winning, especially winning and looking very good doing it chances more than a locker room I guess.