Jeremy and Molly White's Announcement

IKnowPhysics

Jeremy announced on air and on twitter today that he and Molly lost their expected quadruplets.  Horrific, terrible, terrible news.

In lieu of flowers, they are requesting donations be sent to the WNY Perinatal Bereavement Network at https://www.wnypbn.org/  Reddit folks have thought to donate in amounts of $5.50, $55.00, or $550 in honor of Jeremy's family.

Heartbreaking.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Jeremy announced on air and on twitter today that he and Molly lost their expected quadruplets.  Horrific, terrible, terrible news.

In lieu of flowers, they are requesting donations be sent to the WNY Perinatal Bereavement Network at https://www.wnypbn.org/  Reddit folks have thought to donate in amounts of $5.50, $55.00, or $550 in honor of Jeremy's family.

Heartbreaking.

That's awful.  Can't imagine how painful going through 4 miscarriages essentially at once must be.

Prayers and condolences to them.  Hope she has a strong support network.

Utterly heartbreaking. 

My mother lost 13 children over the years, all told, including my sister's twin. It really takes a toll. I can't imagine what they're going through. Absolutely horrible.

I hope they have the best support network available. My heart absolutely goes out to them. 

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Here's the on air segment:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-01-jeremy-passes-along-some-personal-news

I don't know if I have the stones to listen to this at work.

That's a pretty rough listen. Essentially they knew all 4 were coming too early, and were very unlikely to make it. So each time she was going into labor to deliver another one, they had a pretty good idea that it was going to pass very shortly; they had hope each time but knew what the odds were. So they would deliver each one, hold them and name them, spend some time, and then it would pass. And then they would go to sleep, wait a few days and pray another labor didn't happen, and repeat that 3 more times; by the 3rd one all hope kind of left him he says

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That's a pretty rough listen. Essentially they knew all 4 were coming too early, and were very unlikely to make it. So each time she was going into labor to deliver another one, they had a pretty good idea that it was going to pass very shortly; they had hope each time but knew what the odds were. So they would deliver each one, hold them and name them, spend some time, and then it would pass. And then they would go to sleep, wait a few days and pray another labor didn't happen, and repeat that 3 more times; by the 3rd one all hope kind of left him he says

I can't believe he was on the air. No judgment at all, I just imagine I'd be a quivering depressed mess unable to get out of bed. 

6 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Torture.

In the very literal sense. I don't know if it's better or worse for it to happen that way, or whether it ultimately matters at all, but that's an excruciating sequence. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I can't believe he was on the air. No judgment at all, I just imagine I'd be a quivering depressed mess unable to get out of bed. 

He knew it would come to light and he wanted to get it all out in the open, plus to help anyone else that might go through that

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He knew it would come to light and he wanted to get it all out in the open, plus to help anyone else that might go through that

Well, that's the dirty little secret that nobody talks about.  There are literally 10,000's (if not 100k's) of miscarriages every year in this country alone.  Particularly on initial pregnancies.

Nobody talks about them, until you see somebody else go through it, and then you tell them how though you/ your significant other had x of them, your/ your significant other now have y kids.  All healthy & reasonably happy.  Knowing you're not nearly as alone as you feel at that moment helps greatly.  Don't know though how anything could help with having 4 in a handful of days.

Just mind numbingly sad.

Unfortunately, these do happen often, and the thing about the human body, especially when it comes to labor.... When the body wants to it does. We have techniques and medicines and etc, but they are no where near as effective as say, treating an infection. 

It is rough to see a mother go through this and I'm sure having it occur multiple times will almost assure a postpatrum/ptsd type mental reaction. 

I hope she gets the support she needs and it's good to know there are special therapists/counselors/etc who are trained in dealing with this type of trauma and life altering outcomes. 

Very somber indeed 

I've been taking a self imposed suspension from posting. When seeing this I had to log back on and express my sorrow for the White family. My wife and I lost a child and it was painful. Can't imagine the pain you've experienced. I will hold you in my daily prayers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, that's the dirty little secret that nobody talks about.  There are literally 10,000's (if not 100k's) of miscarriages every year in this country alone.  Particularly on initial pregnancies.

Nobody talks about them, until you see somebody else go through it, and then you tell them how though you/ your significant other had x of them, your/ your significant other now have y kids.  All healthy & reasonably happy.  Knowing you're not nearly as alone as you feel at that moment helps greatly.  Don't know though how anything could help with having 4 in a handful of days.

Just mind numbingly sad.

It may just be the people I know, but the women my age have been a lot more open about this in the last few years. Many of my friends have gone through many miscarriages, stillbirths, and IVF and years of testing/trying and some have resorted to fostering/adoption. I'm glad to see it talked about, for those it helps. While it never lessens the pain and grief, it can help normalize and help these people not feel so alone. My therapist actually specializes in postpartum counseling. It's a very scary, very real problem that more women than not face. 

It's a pretty common refrain on my social media sites for us in our late 20s/early 30s. You'll also see a lot of discussion on how we're slowly trying to make people realize that asking the "why haven't you/when are you going to have kids" questions can be really damaging/hard to hear- often for this reason. It's sadly quite common. But the support networks are getting better, the understanding is growing. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, josie said:

It may just be the people I know, but the women my age have been a lot more open about this in the last few years. Many of my friends have gone through many miscarriages, stillbirths, and IVF and years of testing/trying and some have resorted to fostering/adoption. I'm glad to see it talked about, for those it helps. While it never lessens the pain and grief, it can help normalize and help these people not feel so alone. My therapist actually specializes in postpartum counseling. It's a very scary, very real problem that more women than not face. 

It's a pretty common refrain on my social media sites for us in our late 20s/early 30s. You'll also see a lot of discussion on how we're slowly trying to make people realize that asking the "why haven't you/when are you going to have kids" questions can be really damaging/hard to hear- often for this reason. It's sadly quite common. But the support networks are getting better, the understanding is growing. 

We need to reach a point where it is perfectly acceptable, legal even, to punch someone in the face after they ask that question.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Just mind numbingly sad.

That's one thing that has become incredibly clear while reading about this over the course of the day.  No matter how badly you feel after something like this, you are never alone.  The help is readily available as long as you're willing to seek it.  Unfortunately, I'd bet that far too often, the person they look to the most for that help is the one who is probably the worst equipped to provide it, the husband.

edit: I’ll modify this thanks to sizzle. What I mean is that they turn to the husband and no one else. It’s that internalizing thing that taro was getting at earlier. 

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.