Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If no other moves are made (though I think we're still sitting on a big one) then a fully healthy Johansson might be my 4th favorite Sabre forward for the 2019-20 season.

4th favorite or most despised.  It's a thin line. ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If no other moves are made (though I think we're still sitting on a big one) then a fully healthy Johansson might be my 4th favorite Sabre forward for the 2019-20 season.

Key phrase "fully healthy".  I would certainly love for the fellow to become my 4th (fourth) favorite forward.  I would also enjoy immensely being able to proclaim Botterill as my all time favorite Sabre GM and RK as the "best coach since Bowman, maybe even betterer". 

However, if no other moves are made, someone has lots of 'splainin' to do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

And I distinctly remember an interview about a year ago with Sobotka, where the topic came up of where he may slot in the lineup. After the suggestion, he said something like “I am not 4th line center!”

Yes, I remember that.  I believe it was a Czech language article that was translated.

17 hours ago, French Collection said:

I think it's a good pickup. He's a top 9 forward who can play C. 

Johansson, Vesey and Miller won't lead the Sabres to the promised land but they upgrade the talent level and provide depth.

There are now too many NHLers  for this lineup, bodies will be moved for more upgrades. Even if they move some guys for picks, that is currency for a potential upgrade.

The cap for this season is starting to worry me, maybe Bogo will fall on the sword and go LTIR after his return and next injury. Sobotka needs to be sent down, which may make him go to Europe.

I agree with the top part of this and it is the reason I don't see why all the negativity over the MJ signing. I've been accused of too much negativity, and here I am seeing the obvious, we are better after these additions than we were before, no more no less.

As for "too many NHLers for this lineup" I don't see that at all. Tage has to earn his way back in. Pomminstein is gone. Sobodka is irrelevant. Sheary is irrelevant unless he's better than last year too. Kreuger will make his own lines but looking at last year if you have a top 3 of Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart, and a bottom 3 of Zemgus-Larson-Okposo, all you have for the middle 6 is Mitts and E-Rod. Olofsson, Johanson and Vesey leaves us only one player away from a decent middle six with players pushing for jobs from the minors and the bleachers. Big time upgrade.

I think we need to add toughness, but that's what I think about us most of the time :)   Maybe a Rsito for a 2C trade is in the works? If not, right side D looks really good and I'd go so far as to suggest our biggest issue next year MIGHT be goaltending.

We might not be good enough, but we will be much much better. 

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, jsb said:

You could have added a little context or explanation instead of taking a jab. Care to give your opinion on it? 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, steveoath said:

The PR seem to be gearing us up for MJ at centre. Personally I'd like to see a line of MJ-Mitts-Samson. Would take the pressure off Mittelstadt and give us a dangerous attacking line imho 

That's how it looks.  We don't know the question that was asked, of course, or what the Sabres really intend to do, but...

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, steveoath said:

The PR seem to be gearing us up for MJ at centre. Personally I'd like to see a line of MJ-Mitts-Samson. Would take the pressure off Mittelstadt and give us a dangerous attacking line imho 

Really don't want Mitts trying to figure out C at the NHL level going against the other team's top line & 2nd line which is who he'll face centering the 2nd line. 

Reinhart won't help him as much in the defensive end as playing against the other team's 3rd & 4th lines will.

He'll get to a point he can handle (& most likely even excel) at 2C.  But it won't be out of the gate. 

And if Krueger does play him at 2C while there are other options, that will be a very large red flag.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ... said:

That's how it looks.  We don't know the question that was asked, of course, or what the Sabres really intend to do, but...

He said he'll play wherever.  If JBot swings and misses at a 2C pickup, MJ is the backup plan, is my impression.  Basically like Sheary was the backup winger if Skinner trade didn't work out.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, jsb said:

12 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

You could have added a little context or explanation instead of taking a jab. Care to give your opinion on it? 

Yeah, not needed.

Hoppe makes a good point

So what role might he play this upcoming season?

“We didn’t really discuss that too much,” Johansson said on a conference call this morning. “I think wherever I can help and play I’m here for it and whatever they need me to do. I’ve played both. I’ve played mostly left wing over the last however many years, but whatever they need me to do I’m up for it.”

Still, if the Sabres didn’t discuss shifting Johansson back to center while wooing him as a free agent, it seems unlikely they would, at least early on.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/marcus-johansson-open-to-any-forward-role-with-sabres/

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.