Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

13 hours ago, Curt said:

He should be in the lineup because he is good.  Much more proven than Nylander.  He led Rochester in scoring as an AHL rookie, coaches loved him, he probably has the best shot in the organization (Roch or Sabres), he looked good in the few games he played in Buffalo.  I have a hard time thinking of a reason he shouldn’t be in the Sabres’ lineup to start the season.

LOL!!

I thought you stuck the 'g' at the front of his name to play on the 'golf season' theme.

I think it's a good pickup. He's a top 9 forward who can play C. 

Johansson, Vesey and Miller won't lead the Sabres to the promised land but they upgrade the talent level and provide depth.

There are now too many NHLers  for this lineup, bodies will be moved for more upgrades. Even if they move some guys for picks, that is currency for a potential upgrade.

The cap for this season is starting to worry me, maybe Bogo will fall on the sword and go LTIR after his return and next injury. Sobotka needs to be sent down, which may make him go to Europe.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think it's a good pickup. He's a top 9 forward who can play C. 

Johansson, Vesey and Miller won't lead the Sabres to the promised land but they upgrade the talent level and provide depth.

There are now too many NHLers  for this lineup, bodies will be moved for more upgrades. Even if they move some guys for picks, that is currency for a potential upgrade.

The cap for this season is starting to worry me, maybe Bogo will fall on the sword and go LTIR after his return and next injury. Sobotka needs to be sent down, which may make him go to Europe.

I think it's still early enough in the off season to anticipate some bodies going out to be sure. I don't know about the cap worries yet as we are unsure of what exactly is going out and what exactly is coming in, at least, from my vantage point of the situation.

But yea, I completely concur, we haven't even seen the real fire works this off season yet from the Sabres, in my opinion. It is more than obvious we have to many bodies, some have to go.

7 hours ago, ... said:

Well, it's either overblown or the only legit excuse for his play during the last two regular seasons.  Can't have it both ways.

He had a concussion from an elbow from Marchand that got him a 5 game suspension in 2017-18

Last years injury was a lung contusion which he eventually came back from and played well for the Bruins in the playoffs

4 hours ago, carpandean said:

?

I think you might be surprised by how many people here meet that requirement.  That said, your willingness to help others by setting it up is still appreciated.

I can tell there are several posters with technical degrees.  What I am saying is that I am the only one dumb enough to almost put the Riemann Mapping Theorem into an analytics post.

As the living embodiment of someone with less common sense than the intersection of 4 main characters in "The Big Bang Theory", I can safely assert that what is "common sense" to everyone else on this board often requires somewhere between immense and inordinate reflection on my part.

• Thanks (+1) 1

So is our aim to acquire every LW in the NHL?

I like the signing, but we are very crowded in that position now - what do we have 10 of them now?

Skinner

Johansson

Vesey

Sheary

Olofsson

Girgensons

Wilson

Rodrigues

Smith

Elie

I don't want any of these guys playing 4C, let alone 2C.

31 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I like the signing, but we are very crowded in that position now - what do we have 10 of them now?

Skinner

Johansson

Vesey

Sheary

Olofsson

Girgensons

Wilson

Rodrigues

Smith

Elie

Johansson may end up playing C for Buffalo, yet to be seen.  Vesey has played a lot of RW, he’ll probsbly play there.  I’m told Sheary has played RW before, not sure.  Rodrigues plays RW just fine and I’d actually be fine with him at 3/4 C.

1 hour ago, Trettioåtta said:

Skinner

Johansson

Vesey

Sheary

Olofsson

Girgensons

Wilson

Rodrigues

Smith

Elie

I tend to agree with this. None of these guys is going to center successfully in my humbled opinion. There has to be other moves coming.

If there is a trade maybe but short of that you are probably right.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Good point. Yeesh I hope to god this isn't Botterill's plan...…...

Plan or no finding a 2C a team is willing to let go of is gonna be difficult to find.

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

If you are on a ship, red is certainly bad, as it means you may be about to die in a horrific accident/mission.

I think we're discussing different style ships. But yes -- if aquatic or Earthly, red is not ideal. I'm more about the color of the turbolasers, though...  as is my idiom.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Did we? I'm probably too lazy to peruse the original ROR trade thread, but I think a healthy number of people thought Berglund was a suitable 2C until Casey was ready. 

And I distinctly remember an interview about a year ago with Sobotka, where the topic came up of where he may slot in the lineup. After the suggestion, he said something like “I am not 4th line center!”

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

According to this site he played a ton of C last season:

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/marcus-johansson

I just went by faceoff numbers. His first couple seasons he took about 600-700, then down a bunch, and in 2015-16 he took about 300. Since then, though, he's under 100 face-offs per season. That's not really a center. Note: He's also been pretty weak at face offs at around 42% wins for his career.

Now! We could have him with another player who's good at face offs. Didn't we do that with Ott? He was good in the dot, so he took the draw, but played the wing? Though, I think that's just messy.

38 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I just went by faceoff numbers. His first couple seasons he took about 600-700, then down a bunch, and in 2015-16 he took about 300. Since then, though, he's under 100 face-offs per season. That's not really a center. Note: He's also been pretty weak at face offs at around 42% wins for his career.

Now! We could have him with another player who's good at face offs. Didn't we do that with Ott? He was good in the dot, so he took the draw, but played the wing? Though, I think that's just messy.

Kane took faceoffs on Jack's line 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.