Pick #7 Dylan Cozens (C)

Hoss

29 minutes ago, kas23 said:

The question I have is, what sort of role does the Sabres organization play in his development over the next year? Is it just “bye, see you next year” as we leave his development up to people outside of the organization?

If history is a guide.... they'll send scouts and whatnot to check up on him, providing him with a custom workout program and dietary plan, etc.... The Sabres are very involved with all their prospects throughout the season.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If history is a guide.... they'll send scouts and whatnot to check up on him, providing him with a custom workout program and dietary plan, etc.... The Sabres are very involved with all their prospects throughout the season.

It just seems strange though. We can give personal guidance, but can’t really impose a gameplay, correct techniques, or a style of play. It’s all in their hands. Now, the cream always rises to the top, so I don’t worry about Cozens being mishandled, but I could see it happening to a lesser player. Heck, we seem to “mishandle” or irreparably “ruin” prospects ourselves, so I guess it can happen anywhere (or, they were never really good to begin with). And we have no say in where our prospects play, even it’s still in the CHL. 

23 minutes ago, kas23 said:

It just seems strange though. We can give personal guidance, but can’t really impose a gameplay, correct techniques, or a style of play. It’s all in their hands. Now, the cream always rises to the top, so I don’t worry about Cozens being mishandled, but I could see it happening to a lesser player. Heck, we seem to “mishandle” or irreparably “ruin” prospects ourselves, so I guess it can happen anywhere (or, they were never really good to begin with). And we have no say in where our prospects play, even it’s still in the CHL. 

It worked out fine with Reinhart! Cozens seems stronger than Reinhart at that stage, fwiw.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

14 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

It worked out fine with Reinhart! Cozens seems stronger than Reinhart at that stage, fwiw.

Yeah - there's an interview somewhere with Reinhart where he talked about how his last year in juniors was devoted to abiding by the development plan that the Sabres provided to him. (Among other things, his PPG number went down, maybe significantly, during that last year.)

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

NHL teams have a fair amount of sway when it comes to CHL teams and how they handle their prospects. Remember that these coaches/managers in the CHL would all probably love to work for an NHL team some day.  I think think they go out of their way to not tick off NHL management.  NHL teams have been know to force a trade if their prospects are not in a good situation.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Which is why it is mildly surprising that he doesn't get any NHL games this year. 

Kid will be a Sabre next year, and if Lethbridge doesn't do well, possibly even this year.

On 9/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, kas23 said:

The question I have is, what sort of role does the Sabres organization play in his development over the next year? Is it just “bye, see you next year” as we leave his development up to people outside of the organization?

I wonder how many times this season we’ll see the question posed .. “So like can the Sabres call him up to get a look at him during their season”. ?

Edited by Zamboni

Scott Wheeler had a article about one prospects to watch in each for each organization. 

He chose Rasmus Asplund, and said this about Dylan 

I considered Dylan Cozens for this because I still can’t believe the Sabres got him seventh overall and he’s going to make the WHL look like child’s play — but that seemed too easy.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.