Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I’m fine if it’s McLellan.  Experienced.  History of success.  He even got Edmonton into the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I'm OK with it as well...the dude has gotren near 60% of points available over his career including a few down years in Edmonton...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

He did say the coaching search had been going on for a while now.    And he also said he would talk about it some more with his assistant gm's on what they wanted.

No, he said it had already started and was ongoing. He did not say "for awhile". 

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I'm OK with it as well...the dude has gotren near 60% of points available over his career including a few down years in Edmonton...

I think the thing to remember is that no matter who the coach is, they will fail with a flawed roster as evidence by Edmonton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, he said it had already started and was ongoing. He did not say "for awhile". 

I think the thing to remember is that no matter who the coach is, they will fail with a flawed roster as evidence by Edmonton. 

Maybe but i doubt they would produce the record Housley has over the past 2 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

From this article:

Quote

One of the strengths of McLellan and his staff in San Jose was their consistently good power play, the second-best in the league over his seven years running the team.

 

Yes please.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

 

I'm not usually pessimistic, but it's within reason to consider that McLellan could be using talks with Buffalo to leverage salary and terms in LA, especially if they're really close on a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He did say the coaching search had been going on for a while now.    And he also said he would talk about it some more with his assistant gm's on what they wanted.

Wait he did? When?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe but i doubt they would produce the record Housley has over the past 2 years.

I think you are right. Housley may not have had the best teams but he also did nothing to really help them. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Wait he did? When?

He did not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

From this article:

Yes please.

Eh. PP has nothing to do with postseason success, and if you recall Byslma was fantastic at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, he said it had already started and was ongoing. He did not say "for awhile". 

I think the thing to remember is that no matter who the coach is, they will fail with a flawed roster as evidence by Edmonton. 

The roster definitely needs fixing, however they should have been better than they were.   I don't think anybody is expecting playoffs next season, but some upward movement in the standings, players giving an all out effort on a regular basis, better d-zone play, etc.... are what is expected.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll also point out that if it ends up being McL -- once again, Buffalo sports reporters are out to lunch while the national guys get the scoop.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Speak for yourself please.  I coached in the NHL for 14 years, won over 400 games, including 4 Stanley Cups. I was also a GM and built a franchise from bottom up. 

Back in my day we interviewed a few good old boys first.   We drank a lot of booze and swore a whole bunch.  Then, we decided if the guy was alright.  Didn't need any analytics either.

I like this guy.

It sound like my hiring practice. I'd take the candidate out for some podracing. See if he or she could handle spinning. Then, we'd drink and discuss tendencies and aspirations like becoming Admiral vs. a Moff. Finally, I'd give them a little Moulson Choke, just to test their mettle. I don't care how many midichlorians they've got, I want to know whether they'll crack under the pressure of a large scale assault and if they're overconfident against a bunch of small one-man fighters. What kind of Imperial Officer are you, Mr. McLellan?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone have a #fancystats breakdown of McLellan?

I can't post all of the numbers right now, but his Edmonton teams were bottom-10 in the important stuff. I honestly don't know what to make of it. I was a big fan of his after San Jose (he was my 2nd choice to Babcock), but his Edmonton tenure was wholly unimpressive. Of course, godspeed to anyone who thinks they can meaningfully separate his coaching from Chiarelli gradually trading away the entire worthwhile supporting cast. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone even asked Skinner if he likes Todd??!!! I mean come on, talk about pulling the cart before the horse people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

From this article:

Yes please.

I don't want to poop in your lunch here, but the Oilers PP was bad. Anyway, I think there's a lot to like from his SJ days and very little to like from his EDM days. So who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'll also point out that if it ends up being McL -- once again, Buffalo sports reporters are out to lunch while the national guys get the scoop.I 

Is that how's it's going to be? McL? Anybody up for a McBotts?

HCNGMTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I can't post all of the numbers right now, but his Edmonton teams were bottom-10 in the important stuff. I honestly don't know what to make of it. I was a big fan of his after San Jose (he was my 2nd choice to Babcock), but his Edmonton tenure was wholly unimpressive. Of course, godspeed to anyone who thinks they can meaningfully separate his coaching from Chiarelli gradually trading away the entire worthwhile supporting cast. 

I don't have strong opinions about McLellan yet, but here's a non-scientific concurrence: Oilers management is and has been terrible.  Their rosters have been bonkers in different ways for more than a decade.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm good with McLellan.  If Jbot can put is job on the line for him, I certainly can get behind his decision.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I don't have strong opinions about McLellan yet, but here's a non-scientific concurrence: Oilers management is and has been terrible.  Their rosters have been bonkers in different ways for more than a decade.

Unfortunately, the same can be said for us. 

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is that how's it's going to be? McL? Anybody up for a McBotts?

HCNGMTM

Sign me up for McBotts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...