GDT: Blackhawks @ Sabres 2/1/2019, 7PM EST

SABRES 0311

4 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Who knows what gets said privately within the org. but IMHO Housley has not been held accountable enough publicly.  If they players love him, you would think they would respond to protect him.  Right now, I have no idea how much the players feel because nobody in the press is asking them.  It's professional sports, so it's high time the coach is held accountable publicly and let's see how the team reacts.

I would love to see what a couple Sabres in an Uber ride say. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ... said:

You know who else looked horrible, and I hate to say this, but Dahlin was not sharp at all.  Add Samson.  Samson was nearly ghastly.  I'm this -> <- close to starting the Trade-Samson-While-He-Still-Has-Perceived-Value train again.

Eichel needs to be stripped of the C.  Leading this team is clearly above his ability.  He needs to be left alone to be Eichel and nothing else.

So let's put those two things together..............maybe, just maybe, he needs a better winger. 

Pominville is not the answer, but remember that stretch back in October. In 7 games, Skinner 13 pts. Pominville 13 points. Eichel 12 points.  

What was that stat they were talking about during the game? Eichel has more zone entries where he kept possession than anyone else or something like that. Maybe he could be a little more dominant if once in a while his winger carried the play and let him hit the open ice instead of having to do it all alone.

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Resign Skinner and sell.  

If Skinner doesn't sign in the next week or bit, he has to be moved as well, cause if he doesn't sign a solid deal now, he will not choose Buffalo in July. The carpet has already been rolled out. 

13 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Hey now, NS, what's so wrong with going to a game with Woody ?

Nothing.  I would love to, but I am old and married.  Boyes is young and married.  Big difference.

+++++

What a terrible game and effort.

The Sabres do not have what it takes, yet.  They are on the right track, I think, but a ways to go, which is what I thought / expected at the start of the season.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
even on a different keyboard the 'i' and 'u' are too close together ...

11 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The best part of this game was meeting Samson's Flow, I know I got the tix cheap, but what a waste of my evening. This team needs more changes, no urgency, no grit, just passive and PH has zero answers 

It was great to see you too buddy! Appreciate you taking the time to meet up and shoot the breeze.

The game was entertaining for about a five minute stretch in the third, but other than that it was hot garbage. I stopped going to games because the product was more frustrating than entertaining, and this being my first of the year didn't do anything to change that dynamic.

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Do I need repentance? JAME is looking very credible right now. He says so many true things if only he would say them in a more likeable way. 

This is why we have emojis next to posts. Just give his next post a beer emoji if you like it. This way you feel good, he feels good, everyone wins. 

We blew a chance to get within 1 point of wild card.  We simply cannot lose to bad teams, especially at home, unless we ourselves are also a bad team.  

My optimism has faded a bit after last night.   Neither goalie is playing well but I think a switch to Linus as the #1 is in order.  We might as well find out if he can do the job.  

On the defense it looks like Bogo is starting to regress from the high level play we saw in the e first half of the season.  I would be playing Beaulieu over Scandy, at least it would help his trade value since he wants to either play or leave.  I’m not a Pilut fan yet.  I don’t like small defensemen.  

Center is is killing us, that is well documented.  Would like to see a trade that adds a better forward into the mix.  It’s hard to fathom why Elie is playing over CJ Smith?   Would like to see Nylander at some point too.  

Yes, my optimism is fading.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We blew a chance to get within 1 point of wild card.  We simply cannot lose to bad teams, especially at home, unless we ourselves are also a bad team.  

My optimism has faded a bit after last night.   Neither goalie is playing well but I think a switch to Linus as the #1 is in order.  We might as well find out if he can do the job.  

On the defense it looks like Bogo is starting to regress from the high level play we saw in the e first half of the season.  I would be playing Beaulieu over Scandy, at least it would help his trade value since he wants to either play or leave.  I’m not a Pilut fan yet.  I don’t like small defensemen.  

Center is is killing us, that is well documented.  Would like to see a trade that adds a better forward into the mix.  It’s hard to fathom why Elie is playing over CJ Smith?   Would like to see Nylander at some point too.  

Yes, my optimism is fading.  

It's time Smith was on the roster permanent. And nylander called up too

11 hours ago, calti said:

the coach is fine. this is a slightly below avg team--look at the plus minus. that tells the real tale. which is a big improvement over last yr.

lets get some good /tough players in there to help out jack and rasmus and rasmus and skinner. the rest of the roster is filled with mediocre players and some avg players like reinhardt.

Nope, have to disagree. I think there is a decent amount of talent here that is being squandered by a coach in over his head. I would bet Quenneville could get more out of this club. Way more. Especially in the effort department and on the power play. (and perhaps better defensive play) Sabres were shellacked by a team giving up the most goals in the NHL this year in a game that was clearly winnable (and not the first time this season either) Cannot defend Phil again, ever. He can go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Do I need repentance? JAME is looking very credible right now. He says so many true things if only he would say them in a more likeable way. 

I give Jame a lot of credit on this one. He's taken heat for his presentation style, but in the end, it's looking more and more likely he is near spot on. I have come around to his input in the short time he's posted here. I'm more interested now in both his and LG's input on both short and long term management/player/long term asset management input than I was a month ago, that's for sure. I'm open to any idea the fan base has honestly, because I'm hoping at some point this organization pays at least some attention to what the actually fan base is saying. Even though I know it means little to nothing.

10 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

We sure as hell didn't lose anything. Enroth set the NHL record for shootout stops. Lehner is leading the league in GAA and save percentage. 

And we're putting all our pieces on a 33 year old goaltender who has never been a starter?

Enroth's career numbers are worse than Hutton's, so yea, we probably do lose something. Wanting Hutton to play less is totally fine, but bringing up Enroth as some kind of alternative is comical. 

10 hours ago, ... said:

You know who else looked horrible, and I hate to say this, but Dahlin was not sharp at all.  Add Samson.  Samson was nearly ghastly.  I'm this -> <- close to starting the Trade-Samson-While-He-Still-Has-Perceived-Value train again.

Eichel needs to be stripped of the C.  Leading this team is clearly above his ability.  He needs to be left alone to be Eichel and nothing else.

Why? Because he can't single handedly propel a deeply flawed roster to a high level of success? The problem isn't Eichel, it's everyone on the ice when he isn't. What are we supposed to do, triple shift him? 

24 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I give Jame a lot of credit on this one. He's taken heat for his presentation style, but in the end, it's looking more and more likely he is near spot on. I have come around to his input in the short time he's posted here. I'm more interested now in both his and LG's input on both short and long term management/player/long term asset management input than I was a month ago, that's for sure. I'm open to any idea the fan base has honestly, because I'm hoping at some point this organization pays at least some attention to what the actually fan base is saying. Even though I know it means little to nothing.

He's wrong about botterill. We all know center is weak, that wasn't a revelation. You don't burn a gm after only 2 drafts and 1 offseason. Playoffs or bust next year. 

I think the big question is does botterill feel loyal to horsley to the point he'll sink. If so then botterill is a dolt too. Next year is playoffs or firing and I'd prefer we replace Phil now. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Why? Because he can't single handedly propel a deeply flawed roster to a high level of success? The problem isn't Eichel, it's everyone on the ice when he isn't. What are we supposed to do, triple shift him? 

Exactly and why we need to hit on all 3 first rounders. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's wrong about botterill. We all know center is weak, that wasn't a revelation. You don't burn a gm after only 2 drafts and 1 offseason. Playoffs or bust next year. 

I think the big question is does botterill feel loyal to horsley to the point he'll sink. If so then botterill is a dolt too. Next year is playoffs or firing and I'd prefer we replace Phil now. 

Yes.   If we miss the playoffs and fall down with the bottom feeders and then we pass on JQ just to give Phil his 3rd year then I think it’s a mistake.  

I would  compare the November team with the February team and then decide.  

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Exactly and why we need to hit on all 3 first rounders. 

I like a lot of what he's done, but he catastrophically misjudged the center position. If someone wanted to argue that's a fireable offense, they could. 

Edit: I probably shouldn't even say I like a lot of what he's do done. It's more of a mixed bag than that. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.