GDT.... Sabres vs B.Bruins 5pm ET Dec.16, 2018

jsb

2 hours ago, ... said:

FWIW, I said he'll be ready when...insinuating that he'll work out the bugs and, ideally, learn a lot more from Hutton, by the time he takes over as number one.  We have at least a season and half before that happens I think.  Ullmark will be fine.

Ullmark is exactly where he should be according to Botterill’s plan.

• Like (+1) 2

My SIL and her husband live in Boston. He’s born there but is the only one I know without that awful accent. Anyways, the word is, between Brady’s interception and Marchand’s no goal, the chowda heads are reading for the cyanide. Worst thing to happen to Boston sports ever!

I really thought Cassidy looked rattled last night. Guess he was! https://www.google.com/amp/s/nesn.com/2018/12/bruins-notes-bruce-cassidy-not-pleased-with-brad-marchands-no-goal-call/amp/

C’mon dude. That was the right call. Happens all the time and teams deal with it and move on.

Maybe the league is sick of that moron Marchand’s on ice antics. 

2 hours ago, jsb said:

I'm trying to remember the last away game that it didn't sound like there were a large and vocal group of Sabre fans at the game. Alot of ex-patriots are about and we've been spread pretty evenly it appears everywhere

My takes of the game:

1. Jack has entered the superstar fraternity, not just his scoring but his work ethic getting back on defense and along the boards has been nothing short of outstanding
  2. The Bogosian hate community needs to disband, he's been a rock since he's been back, protecting his teammates, playing stout D and has been nothing short of outstanding on the PK. Haters don't have to hate on Zach any longer. The bunker needs to close and be Condemned for health reasons.
  3. How far has the back line improved over last year?? Guhle no longer is considered a savior to be, let him further develop with the Amerks, his speed is enticing though
  4. The Jack-Sampson-Skinner line may be deserving a name soon, they have to be at the least considered in the top 3 in the league right now
  5. Girgensons and Larrson have earned their way back in the lineup and have also been outstanding on the PK
  6. The 2nd and 3rd lines aren't exactly lighting it up but they're not getting lit up either. I'm not sure the LGR line hasn't become our 3rd line. 
  7. I've gone from promoting Phil H to wanting him fired last year to liking him alot again
  8. Mr. Smith has not only improved the back line but the entire Sabres defensive game
  9. Sobotka's role is to be the faceoff man in the defensive zone and that's about it
  10. It appears that Okposo's role is to be the protector of Casey and Sheary and anything else is an added bonus
  11. Hutton and Ullmark are the real deals

Bogo is a very key player on this team.  Yes, he will make an errant play now and then but without him we lose capability, leadership, and grit.   He does whatever is asked and he is the Policeman of the team.  I can see other teams running Dahlin and our top players without the presence of Bogo on the ice. 

Yes, I am old school and I think you still need a Policeman in this league, especially once playoffs start.  I would not want to play a playoff series with Boston, Washington, or Philly without him. 

Look at the Winnipeg trade now.  We have Bogosian and they have Myers and another forward that they drafted.  Kane is gone but replaced by a future first rounder.  Stafford and Armia gone. 

So who would you want today Bogosian or Myers?      I am happy with Bogosian as he shows leadership and grit that Myers never did.   

• Like (+1) 4

The biggest issue most have with Bogosian has been his extreme lack of durability.  That hasn't been an issue beyond the 1st couple of games this year.

Had we known the Sabres would have used an 11th defenseman not even 1/2 way through this season (they've only used 14 F's to date), pretty sure most would have been certain that Bogo would've been leading the man games lost stat.  He's definitely exceeded by durability expectations, but his play is pretty much what we should've expected.  He IS a good defenseman when available.  Let's hope the hip surgery cleared up the LB issues & his being a workout warrior cleared up the UB issues.  The guy was always big, now he is a beast.

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The biggest issue most have with Bogosian has been his extreme lack of durability.  That hasn't been an issue beyond the 1st couple of games this year.

Had we known the Sabres would have used an 11th defenseman not even 1/2 way through this season (they've only used 14 F's to date), pretty sure most would have been certain that Bogo would've been leading the man games lost stat.  He's definitely exceeded by durability expectations, but his play is pretty much what we should've expected.  He IS a good defenseman when available.  Let's hope the hip surgery cleared up the LB issues & his being a workout warrior cleared up the UB issues.  The guy was always big, now he is a beast.

That and his contract. His contributions to the team are simply not worth $6 million of cap space. But I used to be a major Bogo hater, and I'll concede that he has proven me wrong this season with his durability, leadership, and on-ice skills.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

So, he'll sit on a shelf for a year (preferably not due to a full season lockout) waiting for the expansion draft?

I'm not counting well, am I?

Do the Sabres need to extend him for one more year in order to expose him in that expansion draft?

Just now, Brawndo said:

Nope, they can sign a journeyman who they can assign to Rochester to fill their expansion obligations. 

Yeah but then Seattle will take someone else.  My plan--and I am not an NHL GM!--would be for the Sabres to get into a Fleury-type situation with the goaltenders.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah but then Seattle will take someone else.  My plan--and I am not an NHL GM!--would be for the Sabres to get into a Fleury-type situation with the goaltenders.

I like this plan. That way they would protect any forwards or defenseman from being selected 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Should "intent to blow" the whistle (a term that's surprisingly not in the rulebook) be scrapped? Is there any reason Marchand should not have been credited with a goal?

Yes it should be scrapped. No Marchand probably should have been given the goal. I understand once the whistle blows you can't allow anything after that because, what if a player hears the whistle and stops but the intent to blow is silly. That said, it was really close to the line when the whistle happens so hard to say.

Also screw you Marchand. Maybe the hockey gods decided to screw you over for your many dirty shots. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Should "intent to blow" the whistle (a term that's surprisingly not in the rulebook) be scrapped? Is there any reason Marchand should not have been credited with a goal?

Yes.  He is the head dastard on that dastardly team.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
Inky said the same thing with a lot fewer words

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

HCPH couldn't have known how influential Bogo would be when he named him alternate captain at the beginning of season.  He obviously saw something though.

Didn't Bogo wear an 'A' last year?  I think Housley knew exactly what he was getting and doing by giving the 'A' to Bogo for this season.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Didn't Bogo wear an 'A' last year?  I think Housley knew exactly what he was getting and doing by giving the 'A' to Bogo for this season.

I meant to say beginning of last season.  I knew he was an A last year when I wrote that because I verified it before posting.  I just didn't type what I meant.  But I do that a lot.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I meant to say beginning of last season.  I knew he was an A last year when I wrote that because I verified it before posting.  I just didn't type what I meant.  But I do that a lot.

LOL!!

Me too.  It's up to you guys and gals to figure out what I am mumbling and rambling about.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

There is zero chance Seattle will take Hutton from us...a 35 year old goalie with no term left? This ranks up there in the same fantasy land that Vegas was going to take Matt Moulson off our hands. 

That's why I asked about extending him.  Since Hutton will have two Cups by then, it becomes a situation very analogous to the Fleury situation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.