GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning at Buffalo Sabres, 7:30p EST NBCSN

MattPie

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They'll be there next season, & with a move or 2 &/or some luck could be there this year.  But, though I want to see a move for a 2C, only want to see it if it makes sense LT.

But this team is actually back in the NHL for the 1st time in ages.  You can't get from 31st to SC Champions in a single year.

Vagas almost did it. (Let's just pretend their 0 points in 2016-2017 earned them the 31st spot.)

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

While I'm happy they won, I'm not too thrilled about how bad Tampa made them look the last two periods.   

It was like BUF was a JV team playing against a varsity squad.    Just shows us how far away BUF is from being a contender.  

They won. They won 3 games in a row, and they have a winning record.

I don't know about you but, I'm happy with the direction this team is going.

Let's Go Buffalo!

You're right, they need to make some improvements.

Edited by hockeyhound

Not for nothing, Larry Larsson might have been the hero of the night. The game wasn't over when Kucherov's shot hit the post. The puck was swatted back toward the crease, where Larry sent it back from whence it came (Hutton's paddle was there, too, but I'm almost certain it was Larry's stick that did the trick). If the puck had gotten through, Miller was right there to jam it into an empty net with probably at least .5 seconds left on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1

Mitts will be a legit #2 center next year. Oloffsson will be an upgrade to Pominville. Pilut will upgrade our bottom pair. Dahlin will be a #1 d man. CJ Smith will provide much needed depth. ERod will continue to improve. We will shed useless cap.

And

We have three 1st round picks 

Edited by WildCard

Yes.  I'm very happy with his role on the team so far this year.  The best part is:  He's not.  He's had a few scoring opportunities and you can see the look on his face:  He wants to get on the scoring sheet.  I'm sure he won't Leino this year; I bet he ends up with 10 or 15 goals.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Mitts will be a legit #2 center next year. Oloffsson will be an upgrade to Pominville. Pilut will upgrade our bottom pair. Dahlin will be a #1 d man. CJ Smith will provide much needed depth. ERod will continue to improve. We will shed useless cap.

And

We have three 1st round picks 

Someone better be planning the parades ?

NICE!

In many ways Tampa outplayed them and we aren't at their level yet but unlike last year we can play with the big boys this year and look like a real hockey team. Build the confidence, grow as a team, it's all good.

Hutton was great.

Not sure why Housley moved Reinhart back to the top line. The line had chemistry and it seems to me they play faster with Pominville in that spot. I like the idea of Reinhart on the second line better but we shall see what happens. Still like that 4th line a lot too.

So good to see us winning at home.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

While I'm happy they won, I'm not too thrilled about how bad Tampa made them look the last two periods.   

It was like BUF was a JV team playing against a varsity squad.    Just shows us how far away BUF is from being a contender.  

Tampa' really good. Like, really good. But let's not pretend like they looked like world beaters tonight,  either. Their one goal came from a low percentage Home Run Throwback play. and we hit some posts, too.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not for nothing, Larry Larsson might have been the hero of the night. The game wasn't over when Kucherov's shot hit the post. The puck was swatted back toward the crease, where Larry sent it back from whence it came (Hutton's paddle was there, too, but I'm almost certain it was Larry's stick that did the trick). If the puck had gotten through, Miller was right there to jam it into an empty net with probably at least .5 seconds left on the clock.

I like watching Larry play. Always have.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You can't get elected president when you're only experience is as a reality show host.  (Not trying to get political, but just pointing out that stranger things have happened.)

Dude, there literally has never been anything as strange as the 31st overall team coming back & winning the SC the next season.

Doesn't mean I'm not hoping it'll happen.  Could think of nothing cooler happening.  But sadly, this team isn't winning the SC this season.

That said, this is literally the ONLY TRULY entertaining season we've seen since Golisano sold the team.  That was a looooong time ago, and happened when the owner had a self-imposed cap so we knew even when  they were entertaining, there was still the question of what important pieces would be gone next season to keep everything "revenue neutral."  I've enjoyed every single game this year (w/ the exception of the B's game).  This game was entertaining though they clearly were the lesser squad & very easily could've gone the other way especially had Vasilevskiy started.  Next year, a game like this won't be satisfying & I LOVE that the players aren't satisfied by it.  But tonight, for this fan it was.  Even though it pointed out / reinforced just how much farther they still have to go to get up this mountain.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Dude, there literally has never been anything as strange as the 31st overall team coming back & winning the SC the next season.

Doesn't mean I'm not hoping it'll happen.  Could think of nothing cooler happening.  But sadly, this team isn't winning the SC this season.

That said, this is literally the ONLY TRULY entertaining season we've seen since Golisano sold the team.  That was a looooong time ago, and happened when the owner had a self-imposed cap so we knew even when  they were entertaining, there was still the question of what important pieces would be gone next season to keep everything "revenue neutral."  I've enjoyed every single game this year (w/ the exception of the B's game).  This game was entertaining though they clearly were the lesser squad & very easily could've gone the other way especially had Vasilevskiy started.  Next year, a game like this won't be satisfying & I LOVE that the players aren't satisfied by it.  But tonight, for this fan it was.  Even though it pointed out / reinforced just how much farther they still have to go to get up this mountain.

The analytics of this game will certainly eventually bite us in the ass.

But sometimes, you just have to revel in the occasional outlier.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if it was figured out yet, but that was AJ Mleczko on color.  Gold in Nagano, Silver in Salt Lake, national title with Harvard.  Patty Kaz winner.

Did some work for NESN, got hired to NBCSN just this year.  First woman color commentator in an NHL Playoff in the 2nd round last year.  Also got hired to MSG for Islanders this year as a studio analyst.

Her cadence/timing was a little rough around the edges during play, but experience will polish that.  Her work during packages in intermission (where she's had more practice) was sharp.  I think she shows a lot of promise and I look forward to hearing more.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Vagas almost did it. (Let's just pretend their 0 points in 2016-2017 earned them the 31st spot.)

Pretend whatever you'd like; it hasn't happened & even in your imaginary scenario that "31st place" team DIDN'T win, though as you say they did come close.

And the closest it came to happening was in '94 when the '93 last place (division wide, not leaguewide) Rags ruined one of the coolest chants in all of sports. "1940, 1940, 1940" just doesn't have the same ring to it anymore.  And those Rags had had 79 points in 84 "loser point-less" games & some serious money to spend  to improve.  They hadn't been the '18 Sabres by any stretch.

9 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Also, not news: Milbury is a *****.  Anson Carter is not a *****, he gets it.

The rules must be different for different people on different mediums. 

When I was getting press passes for games, the Sabres always sent me a “rule sheet” email before games, telling me that I wasn’t allowed to wear Sabres gear, wasn’t allowed to root for them, wasn’t allowed to cheer goals, etc or else I could be kicked out. I was supposed to be partial.

Milbury, for years now, explicitly and flagrantly hates on the Sabres, and it’s okay. I can still recall his John Scott rant during a game, knowing damn well he’d have been praising John Scott if he was in a B’s uni. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

Checked the standings - Buffalo in 8th place in the league.  That's amazing, especially given the crappy start to this season.   

We're playing at a 100 pt season pace.    I'm guessing that just can't last -  but if we can finish at an 85-90 pt level that would be very nice, and good stuff to build on for 2019.   

16 minutes ago, Jsixspd said:

Checked the standings - Buffalo in 8th place in the league.  That's amazing, especially given the crappy start to this season.   

We're playing at a 100 pt season pace.    I'm guessing that just can't last -  but if we can finish at an 85-90 pt level that would be very nice, and good stuff to build on for 2019.   

Why can't it last?

• SDS unpinned this topic

SOG was terrible last night.  Prior to the game, Eichel talked of how they gotta keep that high in every game.  One could say playing a great team leads to fewer SOG, but Tampa's last 3 opponents all had 30+ shots.  Still pumped Buffalo won.  Just need to some how get more SOG.   

Hutton was the #1 reason we won this game but having said that, anyone who says we didn't deserve this game well I don't recall anyone giving us the 2 points after the Rangers game when Lundqvist was the only reason we lost that game. Lundyboy stole it, Hutton stole it back is the way I see it. Larsson and Girgs may be incapable of putting the puck in the net for us but you just have to admire their grit. They give it all they have on the ice. 

I'm also not giving up any part of our future for a short term 2C. Let Casey grow into the role, you never know it may all click in the 2nd half of the year and he turns into one this year. I would love to know what Dahlin thinks of his short time in the NHL. You know this 18 year old kid is bursting at the seams. Milbury points out his bad plays but I noticed he never said anything about Hedman being a -2 in that game. What a butthead.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.