GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning at Buffalo Sabres, 7:30p EST NBCSN

MattPie

1 minute ago, ... said:

I'm sorry.  I like the win, but this win has shown us where the team is at.  The Sabres can be for real this season, but JBotts has some work to do.  I want them to be serious contenders for a two round run.

True, but it's a playoff berth is a huge step for these guys. We don't need to be a top 5 Cup contender like Tampa is this year

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

When the Sabres are the better team than Tampa Bay for more than 75% of a game, both teams rested, the Sabres will be current cup contenders. 

They've beaten Tampa in games like this recently, to be honest. I think I even remember an identical 2-1 game in Buffalo last season. These ones balance out losing stinkers like in Ottawa.

We're stringing wins together again, I wondered when the Sabres were going to be consistent again.

They've beaten some good teams. If they continue to make improvements to their overall game as a team and individuals, wow, this may be a playoff year.

Yes, it's a little rough at times, but it's true this team has the talent it takes to get to the playoffs. A couple adjustments i.e. Scandella, maybe Tage.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think the top line was horrible, but I want to get Sam back on a different line to spread the offense out a bit. 8 shots in the last two periods combined is rough. We don't play until three nights from now, so let Pommers rest and give him his spot back. 

It won't happen. It's posts like this though that make me so excited for Rochester's success. We will legit be adding 2-3 starters from the next season, in prominent roles

Just now, WildCard said:

True, but it's a playoff berth is a huge step for these guys. We don't need to be a top 5 Cup contender like Tampa is this year

I know.  Two rounds would be good based on what we've been seeing, but I still don't think they're there yet.   Like I said at the beginning of this thread, they have made expecting anything possible - I'd like that expectation to stabilize.

11 minutes ago, ... said:

I'm sorry.  I like the win, but this win has shown us where the team is at.  The Sabres can be for real this season, but JBotts has some work to do.  I want them to be serious contenders for a two round run.

They'll be there next season, & with a move or 2 &/or some luck could be there this year.  But, though I want to see a move for a 2C, only want to see it if it makes sense LT.

But this team is actually back in the NHL for the 1st time in ages.  You can't get from 31st to SC Champions in a single year.

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

10 in 18 versus 10 in 38!! How did we make it through last year lmao 

Last season was THE most frustrating season they've ever had, even moreso than the btb last place finishes because on paper they should NOT have been even remotely that bad.  (& yeah, Lehner's issues combined w/ Johnson typically been a sieve put them a lot worse in reality than they were on paper but that wasn't all of it.)

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Okposo agrees with Sabrespace that they haven't been playing their best hockey - he said in the last three games (all wins) they played about "one and a half" good periods. 

Keep 'em honest in the room there, Kyle. Putting your heads down and working! 

Just when I thought I couldn’t love KO any more... 

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm happy they won, I'm not too thrilled about how bad Tampa made them look the last two periods.   

It was like BUF was a JV team playing against a varsity squad.    Just shows us how far away BUF is from being a contender.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

While I'm happy they won, I'm not too thrilled about how bad Tampa made them look the last two periods.   

It was like BUF was a JV team playing against a varsity squad.    Just shows us how far away BUF is from being a contender.  

Skinner

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.