Canceled Practice

WildCard

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

He did. It was in 2015, when they added forty guys, and it was right before the season, and instead of practicing they all hung out together checking out military equipment.

Well, I don't agree with that either.    How did they start out that season?  

Just now, pi2000 said:

Well, I don't agree with that either.    How did they start out that season?  

How they started out that season was irrelevant to one missed practice. 

And it depends on when you stop to look - because they started out winning just 2 of their first 6 or 7, but also had their best record over the last five years through 18 games or something at 8-8-2.

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

How they started out that season was irrelevant to one missed practice. 

And it depends on when you stop to look - because they started out winning just 2 of their first 6 or 7, but also had their best record over the last five years through 18 games or something at 8-8-2.

and there you have it

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

and there you have it

It was all because of that fated day with the military. 

But again, "start" is arbitrary. The team with the canceled practice also had the best start 18 game "start" for the franchise probably since 2012. You're choosing to ignore that to have your point, which is an objectively dumb point.

38 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I don't ever remember him cancelling practice 2 days before the season with a new roster.

36 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He did. It was in 2015, when they added forty guys, and it was right before the season, and instead of practicing they all hung out together checking out military equipment.

And you didn't give a sh*t.

And you do now because you care more about narratives than being reasonable

Was gonna, but Flagg did.  Boom.

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This could have been the one. This could have been the one practice that put them over the top. 

RIP 10/2 Practice. 

Exactly. This was supposed to be the one practice where Housley was going to share his super secret scoring from the blue line techniques he learned from the monks in Nepal. After today the blood oath goes into effect so the secrets will die with him.

Edited by Alkoholist
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I've read quotes from several players -- from the Swedish vet that came in from St. Louis (I'll get his name eventually) to the rookie Dahlin -- saying that Housley's practices this camp have been hard.

I have no problem with the timing of the excursion. I also am surprised not atall that @pi2000 does.

36 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It was all because of that fated day with the military. 

But again, "start" is arbitrary. The team with the canceled practice also had the best start 18 game "start" for the franchise probably since 2012. You're choosing to ignore that to have your point, which is an objectively dumb point.

Is it?   Or is it so spot on that your mind is just blown to pieces?

34 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also they've been doing tough practices for a week now with 3 games in 4 days ending last week, so I'd rather them take this particular day to heal up a bit before one last crack at it tomorrow. 

you forgot the "#housleysoft"

Has Babcock cancelled any Leaf practices leading up to opening day?

34 minutes ago, sabills said:

If this team sucks this year it will have absolutely nothing to do with one less practice.

Why not just skip one practice a week then?   I mean, these guys work hard, so give them some time to rest... what's one hour less of ice time a week?   #housleysoft

26 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This could have been the one. This could have been the one practice that put them over the top. 

RIP 10/2 Practice. 

Maybe Sheary or Dahlin or some other new guy gets just a bit more comfortable in the system... but no, let's not ask them to work.  #housleysoft

17 minutes ago, dejeanerret said:

It's been a hard camp, documented by the players and media.  

To have a day before the season starts for the team to come together, further solidify their chemistry, and blow off a little steam is a great idea.

Housley is a hall of fame and well respected former player.  He gets it.

Why not both?   Have a system walkthrough on the ice, a couple wind sprints at the end.. shower up, then go hang out and do some fun team building activity in the afternoon.   I guess Housley is comfortable with the system implementation.    That's a good sign.    I expect a strong start this season.    

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Why not just skip one practice a week then?   I mean, these guys work hard, so give them some time to rest... what's one hour less of ice time a week?   #housleysoft

Maybe Sheary or Dahlin or some other new guy gets just a bit more comfortable in the system... but no, let's not ask them to work.  #housleysoft

Why not both?   Have a system walkthrough on the ice, a couple wind sprints at the end.. shower up, then go hang out and do some fun team building activity in the afternoon.   I guess Housley is comfortable with the system implementation.    That's a good sign.    I expect a strong start this season.    

I think you're soft. 

edit: i should add a ?

Edited by darksabre
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Can you imagine if McDermott cancelled a Bills practice two days before the season?  

Is he coaching a peewee team?

Right now coach clappy is not one I'm looking to as an example of course I'm not sold on Phil either.

Edited by Radar

Y'all this is really stupid 

I'm sure they'll be bag skated till they come together and beat the Russians Herb Brooks style when they fail to show up, don't you fear

Those damn kids, man, never gonna learn, show 'em no kindness, worthless weak wimpy losers! Season over! Rabble rabble rabble 

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 12.36.58 PM.png

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm going the other way. If they are good this year, it will be solely because of this missed practice.

?

5 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Are we even sure that practice being cancelled is 100% accurate? I'm seeing other media saying the Sabres are off today? Maybe it was a planned day off and Bill Hoppe misspoke?

I think it was essentially a flex day. The ice was probably scheduled for a practice but they decided to go do some team building instead. So then the ice got canceled. 

27 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

1) That misconstruing my point, 1 less practice over the 10 months that these guys play is a rounding error, instead of 1 a week.

2) It might actually BE beneficial to practice less. The NFL cut down on practice days by 1 every week after the last CBA negotiations, along with significantly cutting down on required training camp time, and eliminating 2-a-days. I didn't notice the skill level of the NFL take a hard nose dive.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sabills said:

1) That misconstruing my point, 1 less practice over the 10 months that these guys play is a rounding error, instead of 1 a week.

2) It might actually BE beneficial to practice less. The NFL cut down on practice days by 1 every week after the last CBA negotiations, along with significantly cutting down on required training camp time, and eliminating 2-a-days. I didn't notice the skill level of the NFL take a hard nose dive.

I've heard several discussions about the quality of the NFL first month of games being hurt by the limited practice time dictated by the CBA. Skill still needs cohesiveness and practice serves that we'll. Having said that I'm not concerned about one practice. Housley is the one who should be most concerned by another bad start. Marked improvement or he may be unemployed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.