Canceled Practice

WildCard

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They "outchecked" Boston more than double. Risto, Sobotka, and a couple others had some really solid hits. 

They aren't a very good collection of hockey players. 

It's that simple. Everyone reading deeper than that after 60 minutes of hockey....

I think they're good enough.

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Talent is there except one more top 4 D... 

Utilization is another matter.

Again, where?

We have 3 players that are currently top-six-capable, at least in terms of generating offense on their own. Some vets with well-documented skill shortages and some unproven rookies that are going to play like that for a little while. A couple pieces that probably shouldn't be NHL regulars. 

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

To do the good hockey.

I think, at least for a little while then, you're going to be in for some disappointment and questioning of the "core" 

30 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Again, where?

We have 3 players that are currently top-six-capable, at least in terms of generating offense on their own. Some vets with well-documented skill shortages and some unproven rookies that are going to play like that for a little while. A couple pieces that probably shouldn't be NHL regulars. 

I think, at least for a little while then, you're going to be in for some disappointment and questioning of the "core" 

While I agree about the top 6, I feel like over all we are improved, if only incrementally. 

... and that that missed practice could have helped, if incrementally

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Again, where?

This offseason and the discussions after game 1 are doing nothing to dissuade me from my theory that literally everything is easier for fans to do than admit the players aren't very good. It'll be grit, compete, "the room," coaching, the owner, the fans, or the shape of the arena roof. Anything and everything before "these guys aren't very good" is accepted. 

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

While I agree about the top 6, I feel like over all we are improved, if only incrementally. 

... and that that missed practice could have helped, if incrementally

I might believe this too. I'd put money on our next six games going better than that six did last year. 

The depth very much did get better, and Dahlin is very good right this second. 

Rodrigues being on our fourth line versus Nolan, Griffith, Pominville makes a huge difference, and he and Pominville had a pretty good game offensively. If we get that from them going forward, in games where our top six is effective, it's going to help us get wins. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This offseason and the discussions after game 1 are doing nothing to dissuade me from my theory that literally everything is easier for fans to do than admit the players aren't very good. It'll be grit, compete, "the room," coaching, the owner, the fans, or the shape of the arena roof. Anything and everything before "these guys aren't very good" is accepted. 

That's the conclusion that I've come to as well. 

The issue is that my theory is the front office feels that way too, because they need their additions to be good. 

We're totally trading Eichel and Reinhart in the next two years ?

But seriously true, how much were we called miserable this summer? I keep bringing it up because I'm actively miffed about how this has transpired. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I might believe this too. I'd put money on our next six games going better than that six did last year. 

Rodrigues being on our fourth line versus Nolan, Griffith, Pominville makes a huge difference, and he and Pominville had a pretty good game offensively. If we get that from them going forward, in games where our top six is effective, it's going to help us get wins. 

The issue is that my theory is the front office feels that way too, because they need their additions to be good. 

But seriously true, how much were we called miserable this summer? I keep bringing it up because I'm actively miffed about how this has transpired. 

This is a truly depressing thought, but not overly surprising. It's what most of the professional hockey world grew up with, and worked in, right? 

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

They "outchecked" Boston more than double. Risto, Sobotka, and a couple others had some really solid hits. 

They aren't a very good collection of hockey players. 

It's that simple. Everyone reading deeper than that after 60 minutes of hockey....

It's easier to get more hits and checks when the other team usually has the puck.

56 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

It's easier to get more hits and checks when the other team usually has the puck.

Yeh but the Sabres were not getting killed by puck possession in first 2 periods... they were getting killed on the rush making defensive and offensive gaffs after cycling and then not shooting when they had chances

Calm your t1ts.

I also don't understand what is being said here.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Calm your t1ts.

I think he means future ex GMJB might be denial about his acquisitions sucking (be it Berglund, Sobotka, Skinner, Sheary, or whomever) because they are his guys. Therefore the new guys will be given plenty of rope, whether or not it's deserved. At least that's how I read it.

7 hours ago, darksabre said:

I was thinking this last night when I saw all of them reaching for pucks when a little body contact was right there to slow the opponent down. They play like it's a no-checking beer league, like it's Da Beauty League. 

It's not good enough. 

Bogo played in Da Beauty League this offseason, right? But not in NHL games? 

Bogo is an Alternate captain, correct?

?

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Calm your t1ts.

I believe all he's saying is he's afraid Botterill misidentified the problem with the team as the locker room, rather than the talent level. Much as fans are prone to do. Hence the shuffling of deck chairs rather than upgrading the chairs. 

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

But aren't the people starting to take issue with Eichel falling in line with the "the players just aren't that good" line of reasoning? Or is the argument more in reference to the rest of the team outside of the top 3 forwards and Dahlin?

To the bolded, I don't think you were the only ones, though perhaps the most comprehensive. I lamented the state of the defence coming in multiple times and said it would be difficult to improve without upgrades there. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I believe all he's saying is he's afraid Botterill misidentified the problem with the team as the locker room, rather than the talent level. Much as fans are prone to do. Hence the shuffling of deck chairs rather than upgrading the chairs. 

I mean, if this is truly the case, aren't we screwed? What's the hope then, that he's able to somehow build a good team accidentally?

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yes. If we suck on the ice and people are miserable and talk about how mopey Sam Reinhart is, are we trading him for Antoine Roussell, Ben Hutton and a 1st? I don't think so, but that's where the logic goes, and it's my opinion this has already happened once. Though of course, if Tage turns out good, then that wasn't a big deal. 

I"m not saying I truly think Botterill is like this and would do this, but I really think we are what our talent level says we are, and I believe that about all teams except for wild exceptions, like maybe Vegas or something. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.