Canceled Practice

WildCard

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don't know, I wanted to make a practice thread. Anyways, thought this was weird. Maybe an announcement coming?

@BillHoppeNHL
The #Sabres have canceled today's practice.

This is bizarre.  I can't think of an announcement that would result in a canceled practice.  Maybe there's something wrong with the rinks.

17 minutes ago, bg17 said:

There is a video available on the Sabres website from a couple days ago where PH mentions having the day off and maybe doing something special. Some sort of team building exercise or the like.

Hookers and blow. No better way to bring a group together than a night where if anyone talks about it you have full rights to kill them

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, sabills said:

Because they're skipping one practice?

They have a lot of new players and the season starts in two days.

They should at least be on the ice going over system stuff.     I've never heard of this... cancelling practice two days before real bullets start flying?   It reeks of incompetence.    

Just wait until they get off to a slow start again and you'll hear all the same tired excuses... "we have a bunch of new faces, it might take some time to come together..."  blah blah blah... meanwhile Phil decides they don't need to practice 2 days before the season.   Just unbelievable. 

Just now, pi2000 said:

They should at least be on the ice going over system stuff.     I've never heard of this... cancelling practice two days before real bullets start flying?   It reeks of incompetence.    

Just wait until they get off to a slow start again and you'll hear all the same tired excuses... "we have a bunch of new faces, it might take some time to come together..."  blah blah blah... meanwhile Phil decides they don't need to practice 2 days before the season.   Just unbelievable. 

Look on the bright side. It gives someone so inclined a reason to complain. Can’t believe they would give up 90 minutes of “system stuff”! 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, bg17 said:

There is a video available on the Sabres website from a couple days ago where PH mentions having the day off and maybe doing something special. Some sort of team building exercise or the like.

So really, this was a known possibility and they decided to take the option and go do some "team building". Sounds good to me. 

1 minute ago, bg17 said:

Look on the bright side. It gives someone so inclined a reason to complain. Can’t believe they would give up 90 minutes of “system stuff”! 

Can you imagine if McDermott cancelled a Bills practice two days before the season?  

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

So really, this was a known possibility and they decided to take the option and go do some "team building". Sounds good to me. 

Is he coaching a peewee team?

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Lighten up Francis, team building is good. 

Just now, Hank said:

Lighten up Francis, team building is good. 

You don't have to cancel practice to do team building.    Why not both?   These guys are professionals, it's their job.    Have a 1hr practice to cover system stuff, pound it into their heads... then go do some team building activity in the afternoon if you feel so inclined.     At this point in the season, practice time is invaluable.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

You don't have to cancel practice to do team building.    Why not both?   These guys are professionals, it's their job.    Have a 1hr practice to cover system stuff, pound it into their heads... then go do some team building activity in the afternoon if you feel so inclined.     At this point in the season, practice time is invaluable.

You may be completely right, and I may be way off base, but I think you're making it a bigger deal than it is. 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wonder if pi remembers when Saint Bylsma did the same exact thing, and they all hung out doing something with the armed forces, checking out tanks and stuff like that. Does anyone remember that?

It certainly wasn't a problem for him then.

I don't ever remember him cancelling practice 2 days before the season with a new roster.

Just now, Hank said:

You may be completely right, and I may be way off base, but I think you're making it a bigger deal than it is. 

If Housley is that confident that they don't need to the practice time, I expect them to come out to a fast start this season.   

58 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is bizarre.  I can't think of an announcement that would result in a canceled practice.  Maybe there's something wrong with the rinks.

Maybe Girgensons was getting too close to Eichel in the dressing room & Housley decided to take no chances unlike Bylsma who missed ALL the signs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I don't ever remember him cancelling practice 2 days before the season with a new roster.

He did. It was in 2015, when they added forty guys, and it was right before the season, and instead of practicing they all hung out together checking out military equipment.

And you didn't give a sh*t.

And you do now because you care more about narratives than being reasonable

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.