Canceled Practice

WildCard

On 10/7/2018 at 7:22 AM, LTS said:

I'm going to go find a turnover Gretzky made and then claim he sucked as a player.

That's how the Internet works these days right?

They haven't lost since they stopped cancelling practices.... just sayin'.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Clearly morning skates aren't needed though...

I've said it before... morning skates are unnecessary... and should be a rare occurrence.   IMO, players would perform better if they could rest on gamedays, catch up on sleep, let the body recover completely.    That said, a good solid practice on off-days is vital.      

On 10/9/2018 at 11:19 AM, pi2000 said:

I've said it before... morning skates are unnecessary... and should be a rare occurrence.   IMO, players would perform better if they could rest on gamedays, catch up on sleep, let the body recover completely.    That said, a good solid practice on off-days is vital.      

Soooo, are you saying they should never have a day off? And if not, why complain about a day here and there?

Even though it's entertainment, a game, something they love to do, it's still pretty much a job. Do you get days off?

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

33 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Soooo, are you saying they should never have a day off? And if not, why complain about a day here and there?

Even though it's entertainment, a game, something they love to do, it's still pretty much a job. Do you get days off?

He doesn't give us any days off...

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I would never cancel a scheduled practice for a team that finished in last place the prior year.     

Just now, pi2000 said:

I would never cancel a scheduled practice for a team that finished in last place the prior year.     

But if you never gave them a day off once in awhile, how would you expect them to compete ALL the time without tiring out or just keeping up the morale?

If you were to say...."show me some good hard practices and I'll give you a day off", kinda of an earn it type thing, I could go along with that.

36 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

But if you never gave them a day off once in awhile, how would you expect them to compete ALL the time without tiring out or just keeping up the morale?

If you were to say...."show me some good hard practices and I'll give you a day off", kinda of an earn it type thing, I could go along with that.

They don't practice on game days, where most guys will skate only 12-16min.  

There are already scheduled off-days throughout the season.  

Just now, pi2000 said:

They don't practice on game days, where most guys will skate only 12-16min.  

There are already scheduled off-days throughout the season.  

That's not a day off if they play that night.

But I think you're saying is that they have scheduled days off and you just don't want them to cancel any "scheduled" practices. It took me awhile but I think I got it, sorry if that's the case.

5 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

That's not a day off if they play that night.

But I think you're saying is that they have scheduled days off and you just don't want them to cancel any "scheduled" practices. It took me awhile but I think I got it, sorry if that's the case.

morning skates on game day are important though.  they aren't skating so hard that they are tired.  it's to keep the legs fresh and keep them active, helps to avoid injury etc.

somewhat related, when i was in the Air Force we used to have physical training tests.  most people thought they had to rest for days leading up to the test, which is fine, but, i alwyas performed better when i did light jogs on the days leading up to it and the early morning of my test.  jog a mile or two at a 15 minute mile pace, then a few hours later do the test and run as hard as i can.  sort of the same thing for these guys on gameday

11 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

morning skates on game day are important though.  they aren't skating so hard that they are tired.  it's to keep the legs fresh and keep them active, helps to avoid injury etc.

somewhat related, when i was in the Air Force we used to have physical training tests.  most people thought they had to rest for days leading up to the test, which is fine, but, i alwyas performed better when i did light jogs on the days leading up to it and the early morning of my test.  jog a mile or two at a 15 minute mile pace, then a few hours later do the test and run as hard as i can.  sort of the same thing for these guys on gameday

Generally I would agree about gameday skates being beneficial, but IMO it would help these guys to take extended breaks from gameday skates throughout the season so they can catch up on rest and get a mental break away from the routine.     They do plenty of dryland activity in the hours leading up to gametime to stay loose and keep the muscles warm. 

It really becomes a grind late into the season, atleast it was for me in college, where you really started to look forward to getting away from the rink for a little while.    The routine of dressing, undressing, showering, twice on gamedays becomes excessive.  

Edited by pi2000

• 2 weeks later...

Between the 8-8-2 start in 15-16, and 5-4-0 now, the two seasons that we've canceled practice the day before the seasons have spurred by FAR the best early results we've had in the last 7 or 8 seasons. There is no comparison. 

It is IMPERATIVE that we cancel practice the day before the season every single year. I, as a paying consumer, will not stand for anything less, as it would be gross negligence and indicate that we really aren't doing everything it takes to have success on the ice. 

Thank freaking god that Phil decided to do that. 

• Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Between the 8-8-2 start in 15-16, and 5-4-0 now, the two seasons that we've canceled practice the day before the seasons have spurred by FAR the best early results we've had in the last 7 or 8 seasons. There is no comparison. 

It is IMPERATIVE that we cancel practice the day before the season every single year. I, as a paying consumer, will not stand for anything less, as it would be gross negligence and indicate that we really aren't doing everything it takes to have success on the ice. 

Thank freaking god that Phil decided to do that. 

In 15-16 BUF lost their opening night game 3-1 to OTT.   This year they lose 4-0 to BOS. 

So that's a combined 7-1 loss on opening day after cancelling practice.

If they prepared correctly, they probably would be 6-3 right now, leading the division instead of on the wildcard bubble.

In 15-16' they probably make the playoffs and win the Cup.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

In 15-16 BUF lost their opening night game 3-1 to OTT.   This year they lose 4-0 to BOS. 

So that's a combined 7-1 loss on opening day after cancelling practice.

If they prepared correctly, they probably would be 6-3 right now, leading the division instead of on the wildcard bubble.

In 15-16' they probably make the playoffs and win the Cup.

What are the losses the other years? (Hint, there were no wins)

Thus, it appears that any negative immediate effects are drowned out by overwhelming benefit mere days and weeks after, and thus on balance it's clearly worth it. A tank move to not, even. 

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

What are the losses the other years? (Hint, there were no wins)

Thus, it appears that any negative immediate effects are drowned out by overwhelming benefit mere days and weeks after, and thus on balance it's clearly worth it. A tank move to not, even. 

I'm not going to waste my time arguing this.   There is no benefit weeks after.... that's like saying "good thing they skipped practice 25 years ago, otherwise they probably would lost that game tonight."     Cancelling practice 2 days before opening night, and then playing like crap is all the evidence we need.    Stop being a moron.

57 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm not going to waste my time arguing this.   There is no benefit weeks after.... that's like saying "good thing they skipped practice 25 years ago, otherwise they probably would lost that game tonight."     Cancelling practice 2 days before opening night, and then playing like crap is all the evidence we need.    Stop being a moron.

That's absolutely not evidence. In fact, your assertion that it is is astounding. 

• Like (+1) 2

It's astounding because it leads to all kinds of contradictions. They got blown out 5-1 in San Jose, but practiced the day before. If that's "all the evidence we need" to confidently assert it lead to their loss in Boston, then it is inexplicable that we lost to SJ by the same margin. Your logic implodes on itself days later, because in reality, so many millions of things go into who wins and loses any hockey game, and most of them happen during the game itself on the ice, aided by years of individual skill development all thrown together in a beautiful chaos on ice, and one single goddamn practice after an entire month of intense practice and training camp cannot reasonably be considered the difference, otherwise their wins in the days since with NO practice couldn't have happened with that level of evidence being "all we need," and that loss to SJ couldn't have happened. 

That's the reason I came in here to have some fun - it is as reasonable (ie, unquantifiable, and not reasonable) to suggest that the team-building they did instead brought them closer together and had a much longer lasting positive effect than one single on-ice session, leading to the only two positive Octobers we've had in near a decade. There's AS MUCH evidence for this suggestion as for yours, as we're both right that the team LOST games after but were broadly BETTER those Octobers, but both lead to obvious logical problems, and both are absurd, only the difference is I'm just messing around 

You couldn't even find a gender studies department that would advocate publishing that as evidence 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The thing is pi, you have zero evidence that they would have won either of those games if they'd practiced.

Well it certainly would've helped their chances. 

Or are you suggesting that practing would've made them worse?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.