Is the heat on Housley now?

PASabreFan

Folks can say the Sabres are still a ways off from being a playoff team, but that's asinine in the modern NHL landscape. This should be a playoff team. At the very least, a team that goes down to the final 5-7 games with a shot. Anything less and I think Phil has to go. And what if there's yet another slow start?

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's still too early to say what exactly this season will mean for things like coaching. A lot is going to depend on what this roster looks like on opening night and Botterill's expectations for it. We are inching closer to a scenario, roster wise, where I think expectations are increasing. 

If the Sabres aren't at least a bubble team late in the season, HCPH has under-achieved and he'll be gone.

That said, every coach is always on the hot seat.  You know it when you take the job.  I don't think Housley is worried about getting fired; he's eager to actually get this team winning, and I think he will do just that.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

It just occurred to me.  Didn't the Sabres just hire Steve Smith as assistant coach?  The guy was most recently the assistant with Carolina the past 4 years.  Phil should be getting some good intel on how to use Skinner.

Interesting... 

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It all depends on the goaltending.  Unlike @Weave, I do not believe the team has the personnel to overcome bad goaltending. They need at least good goaltending to get into the playoffs.

I have no opinion on whether they have the personnel to overcome it, but if it happens (substandard goaltending, that is), I need to see Phil be able to adapt.

• Thanks (+1) 1

If they dont look improved from last season he should be here at the end of it.

Otherwise I think it depends on how they look. If the team is losing because they are getting beat because they just arent good enough, I think he gets one more year.

If they look sloppy and making dumb mistakes an NHL team shouldn't be making, I think he is gone.

I cant see them ditching another coach early unless it's clear that the problem is something that can be coached.

I still dont think goaltending will be as improved as some think it will be. Ullmark needs to show he can play consistently in this league, and Hutton needs to show that he was just a late bloomer and can handle a full season in the starter role (something he has never come close to doing)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Unless the goaltending is a nightmare again, I think Phil has to win  now.  And if goaltending is an issue, I think Phil has to show that he can coach a gameplan that sheilds it.

I agree on goaltending and would just add that the team seems to be relying on 2 rookies (Casey and Dahlin) to contribute quite a bit.  Any or all of those 3 could fail to meet expectations, with significant negative consequences for the team.

Having said that, they could certainly look terrible top to bottom again and if so then Howie could and should be accountable IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I have no opinion on whether they have the personnel to overcome it, but if it happens (substandard goaltending, that is), I need to see Phil be able to adapt.

I just need some clarification:  If he does adapt, i.e., he changes his system and his lines and such, but the team still doesn't have the raw talent to overcome poor goaltending, what's your position?

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I just need some clarification:  If he does adapt, i.e., he changes his system and his lines and such, but the team still doesn't have the raw talent to overcome poor goaltending, what's your position?

Talent isn't the coaches responsibility.  Use of talent is.  If the team plays well excepting the goalie, and House adapts his system but the team still can't overcome the goalie, I don't see that as Housley's fault.

He'll need to show that he can get this new roster to buy into whatever he is selling.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Talent isn't the coaches responsibility.  Use of talent is.  If the team plays well excepting the goalie, and House adapts his system but the team still can't overcome the goalie, I don't see that as Housley's fault.

He'll need to show that he can get this new roster to buy into whatever he is selling.

I'm in agreement then.

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

It just occurred to me.  Didn't the Sabres just hire Steve Smith as assistant coach?  The guy was most recently the assistant with Carolina the past 4 years.  Phil should be getting some good intel on how to use Skinner.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Interesting... 

...except that part of the reason Skinner wanted out was because he didn't like how the Canes were using him.

I thought they should have been a bubble team last year with the talent they supposedly had.  However, I think the past several seasons are strong arguments that chemistry is an X factor in all of this (same with the VGKs this past season).  Coaching is an X factor, too, IMHO, although more black and white.  Either the coach gets the team to click or he don't. Either the coach can match or out-match his opponent strategically, or he can't

HCPH has a new tool-box now,  and a year to figure out how to be a Brigadier General.  He needs to show he owns those X factors.

21 minutes ago, ... said:

I thought they should have been a bubble team last year with the talent they supposedly had.  However, I think the past several seasons are strong arguments that chemistry is an X factor in all of this (same with the VGKs this past season).  Coaching is an X factor, too, IMHO, although more black and white.  Either the coach gets the team to click or he don't. Either the coach can match or out-match his opponent strategically, or he can't

HCPH has a new tool-box now,  and a year to figure out how to be a Brigadier General.  He needs to show he owns those X factors.

I dont know, i think sometimes we as fans tend to think we're more talented or better than whats really there. Maybe its the emotional aspect to being a fan where you try to be optimistic. But truth is we were the last placed team for a reason. Yes we had potential talent, & some players who are truly skilled, but we also had quite a few players that didn't belong on an NHL team. Combine that with a new coach & system & with crappy goal tending & you're gonna have some problems.

This year however it really looks like JBotts has set this team up to be competitive again. I would say its safe to expect us to be a bubble team this year. IF & a BIG IF, we get solid goal tending between the pipes. A good goalie can make everyone around him better, whereas a Lehner can break your heart haha. If Hutton can give us 50 games & play as his numbers were last year, we have a shot imo.

But I for one think Housley should get some more time. He's a 1st time head coach with essentially a brand new team this year. And he's had success before & is a HOF'er. We can't keep switching coaches every couple years. Only way I'd support it is if we mirror last seasons record & theres a better option out there.

Edited by MillerVaive
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

I dont know, i think sometimes we as fans tend to think we're more talented or better than whats really there. Maybe its the emotional aspect to being a fan where you try to be optimistic. But truth is we were the last placed team for a reason. Yes we had potential talent, & some players who are truly skilled, but we also had quite a few players that didn't belong on an NHL team. Combine that with a new coach & system & with crappy goal tending & you're gonna have some problems.

This year however it really looks like JBotts has set this team up to be competitive again. I would say its safe to expect us to be a bubble team this year. IF & a BIG IF, we get solid goal tending between the pipes. A good goalie can make everyone around him better, whereas a Lehner can break your heart haha. If Hutton can give us 50 games & play as his numbers were last year, we have a shot imo.

Agree. The big question mark is goaltending.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.