UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

From the Buffalo News:

Still, he said it was important to come to town and get to know new teammates like No. 1 overall pick Rasmus Dahlin and former St. Louis players Carter Hutton and Patrik Berglund, both of whom joined the Blue and Gold on the ice for the first time Tuesday.

"You can't really just pick that up," Reinhart said. "You've really got to value that time together and get a feel with the guys. That's why I am here and skating.”

"The player I am is I have to contribute, I have to put up numbers," Reinhart said. "A lot of the chances I was creating late we were capitalizing on them. That's a big part of the focus and a big part of what I need to start with this year.

And from WGR

Reinhart was on a 73-point pace in his last 44 games last season, and that has helped fuel him during his summer workouts. He said, “Yes, a lot, I was happy with the way I was able to battle through that adversity and get back to the player that I know I can be and know I am, so a lot of that confidence was translated into the off-ice this summer and looking forward to starting fresh.”

“My focus is to help the team every night and I have to contribute, I have to put up numbers and I think a lot of the chances I was creating late with my line mates, we were capitalizing on them and that’s a big part of the focus

Team first and personal accountability. Not used to hearing that stuff from Sam. I like it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, it’s quite likely JBott does see Reino as part of the core.  He’s been pretty consistent with that message.  I think a Reino trade is pretty unlikely   

That doesn’t mean though that JBott at present isn’t pushing for a bridge deal on the thinking that it would be better for both Reino and the team.  

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

What else is he supposed to say?  "We've been shopping him but so far nobody is interested."

You need to see it in context. He jumped on the reporter who asked something along of the lines of “do you need him to be part of the rebuild.”

I think both sides want to get something done. I hope it happens before camp because Sam needs to be part of that.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, erickompositör72 said:

It's time for us to get lucky on another contract. Sign Reinhart to a long-term deal and use the first half of last season to leverage the best deal we can.

We're due to hit on one of these. Karma or something. After suffering through Moulson, let's get a bargain deal on an elite player.

I think we used all our Karma to get Dahlin. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

Is this speculation or did you hear/read something? I hope it's true. 

Speculation on my part but reasonable given the circumstances.  Both parties want to get something done but there is clearly a stumbling block on term, $ or both.  This seems like the best option for both.  The Sabres need a little bit more cap room for this season so you give Sam 4.5 for one year and then extend him out later.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:44 AM, dudacek said:

If  was Sam, I’d want to sign a one-year $4 million deal, have a whole season like the back half of last season and sign long-term next summer for in excess of $7 million. If I end up only with another 50 point season, then I sign next year for something similar to the $5 million-is that JBot is probably willing to give me long-term now.

Worst case scenario there, I lose maybe $2 million. Best case, I make an extra $10 million.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:46 AM, nfreeman said:

I expect them to have something done Thurs or Fri this week.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Speculation on my part but reasonable given the circumstances.  Both parties want to get something done but there is clearly a stumbling block on term, $ or both.  This seems like the best option for both.  The Sabres need a little bit more cap room for this season so you give Sam 4.5 for one year and then extend him out later. 

Well, I think in this situation the player almost always wants a LT deal, and a LT deal is almost always best for the player.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I think in this situation the player almost always wants a LT deal, and a LT deal is almost always best for the player.

Unless one thinks they are worth a lot more than $5M per, to such a degree that said individual is willing to bet on themself. 

Edited by Thorny

On 9/11/2018 at 9:38 PM, Huckleberry said:

His numbers put him in the 6 mill range so yeah.

Not when he has no leverage.  

Am I getting nervous about this situation.  I figured someone would blink by now.  Asplund’s and Thompson’s play in the prospect challenge may convince Jbot he doesn’t have o budge as he has some talent he can call on if Samson holds out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.