How good, Rasmus Dahlin?

dudacek

Rasmus Dahlin  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin this year?

• He'll win the Calder and be the first rookie defenceman to score 50 points in this century
    • He'll get about 40 points and be the Sabres best defenceman by the end of the year
    • He'll look surprisingly poised and total around 30 points
    • He'll have flashes of brilliance and times where he'll be asked to watch and learn, scoring about 20 points
    • He'll have a disappointing season and be in and out of the lineup
  2. 2. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin over the next 15 years?

• He will be the consensus best defenceman of his generation
    • A regular all-star, among the top half-dozen or so defencemen
    • Among the best Sabres defenceman of all-time but not among the league's all-time elite
    • A good, but not great NHL defenceman — Brian Campbell-esque
    • He'll be OK, but mostly disappointing, Jason Woolley maybe?
    • The worst bust since Greg Joly

In his 20yo rookie season, he paced for over 40 points and had elite metrics from every aspect you could think to look, and will probably finish in the teens in Norris voting already.

I do think so. He looks better than Doughty did in his second post draft season, and actually has a playing style nearly identical

Quite a concept. Waiting to see what a young player does in the NHL and then making an evaluation of how good he can be.

Unsurprisingly, you ignore the merits of today's information. Scouting is infinitely better than it was back in the 80s and 90s. The days of drafting Daigle #1 are gone.

There's no information to support the scenarios you read around here — that Dahlin is a future Hall of Famer, Norris winner or even all-time best Sabres d-man. None. So if I'm a low-information fan for pointing that out, so be it. I'm sure there's plenty of information that Dahlin has been an outstanding player to date, and you can probably take that information and comfortably project that he'll be a good NHL player.

Some fans will dream crazy dreams, and some will wait and see what the morning brings. Please don't try and tell me one group has science on its side, and the other is ignorant.

Quite a concept. Waiting to see what a young player does in the NHL and then making an evaluation of how good he can be.

There's no information to support the scenarios you read around here — that Dahlin is a future Hall of Famer, Norris winner or even all-time best Sabres d-man. None. So if I'm a low-information fan for pointing that out, so be it. I'm sure there's plenty of information that Dahlin has been an outstanding player to date, and you can probably take that information and comfortably project that he'll be a good NHL player.

Some fans will dream crazy dreams, and some will wait and see what the morning brings. Please don't try and tell me one group has science on its side, and the other is ignorant.

Why does everyone have to be split into these two categories?

Last I checked, I can be optimistic about a prospect’s future, still wait and see how he turns out, and, here is the kicker, *NOT* lose my mind if the guy fails.

Or am I angering the hockey gods by guessing he’ll be a stud and enjoying that for the time being? Perception is still reality. If my current perception of Dahlin is that he’s going to great, and that makes me happy, so be it. It’s a fun reality to live in for a little while, that still isn’t pushing the limits of believability.

What do the people who refuse to get excited about him win if he busts or disappoints? I’ll be glad I atleast had a fleeting moment where I was able to take a little bit more joy from this largely illogical practice of being a fan.

Edited by Thorny

You read about 3 million more things into what I said than what was actually said. If we can put aside the semantics of how great he'll be, there are a lot of legitimate reasons to believe he'll be a great player for years to come. I understand not wanting to put the cart before the horse, but being optimistic in this case is not an example of irrational exuberance. This isn't like people penciling Guhle into the top-4.

Sigh. I too am hopeful and I think folks are splitting hairs between what we hope is Dahlin’s estimated potential and what he actually becomes. Would love to see him become an all world defenseman but would be happy if he is a solid number 1 D. I wont fall out if he is not all thst because I see JBotts building a solid developing team with maybe two more years to go. I am hoping between this year and next years’s draft, the talent rebuild should be complete and its just a matter of coaching. If Dhalin and Ghule make the team then to me as been stated ad infinitum lately the needs some scorers and a strong goalie. Here is hoping and watching a fun brand of hockey in the near future happen.

Sigh. I too am hopeful and I think folks are splitting hairs between what we hope is Dahlin’s estimated potential and what he actually becomes. Would love to see him become an all world defenseman but would be happy if he is a solid number 1 D. I wont fall out if he is not all thst because I see JBotts building a solid developing team with maybe two more years to go. I am hoping between this year and next years’s draft, the talent rebuild should be complete and its just a matter of coaching. If Dhalin and Ghule make the team then to me as been stated ad infinitum lately the needs some scorers and a strong goalie. Here is hoping and watching a fun brand of hockey in the near future happen.

Thats where I'm at. I need to see steps forward. This past season was a disappointment because it was a step in the wrong direction. Dahlin takes some of the sting off of that but moving forward I want to see incremental steps to becoming a team that competes each and every night.

The answer to this type of question probably tells you more about somebody’s personality than their hockey acumen.

I don't buy this line of thought a'tall. (I think Smell was the first to bring it up.) It smacks of a subtle form of character assassination. Don't believe the Dahlin hype? Then you must be a miserable, cynical, pessimistic person.

I don't see why I should have to believe that Dahlin is going to be an all-time great in order to keep my fan card. And it doesn't say anything about my personality, other than that I'm a reasonable person, maybe.

I suppose this is going to go on all summer. I can't wait until we can evaluate Dahlin the NHL player.

I don't buy this line of thought a'tall. (I think Smell was the first to bring it up.) It smacks of a subtle form of character assassination. Don't believe the Dahlin hype? Then you must be a miserable, cynical, pessimistic person.

I don't see why I should have to believe that Dahlin is going to be an all-time great in order to keep my fan card. And it doesn't say anything about my personality, other than that I'm a reasonable person, maybe.

I suppose this is going to go on all summer. I can't wait until we can evaluate Dahlin the NHL player.

Nobody said you had to turn in your fan card.

One person’s pessimist is another’s realistic thinker is another’s miserable cynic.

I think that was the entire point.

Calling it a subtle form of character assassination is a subtle form of character assassination.

????

Edited by dudacek

What would be most interesting is how people would judge Botterill for taking Dahlin if he did indeed fail.

Despite that 31 of 31 NHL GMs would take him first.  

So no matter what happens with Dahlin, it's not a reflection on the GM.  It's just that EVERY. SINGLE. TALENT SCOUT. believed he was the best player in the draft and destined for greatness.

Ok, ok ... what’s with this arthritis thing? Docs?

Family history of Rheumatoid Arthritis, an autoimmune inflammatory disease, Mom, Sister and Brother all have it. There are blood teststhat can be performed that monitor inflammatory markers. Per reports out of Sweden his are negative.

I did not look at his medical records or do his physical at the combine, so there is no HIPPA Violation ;)

Family history of Rheumatoid Arthritis, an autoimmune inflammatory disease, Mom, Sister and Brother all have it. There are blood teststhat can be performed that monitor inflammatory markers. Per reports out of Sweden his are negative.

I did not look at his medical records or do his physical at the combine, so there is no HIPPA Violation ;)

I was hoping you’d reply ...

I really don’t understand why autoimmune disorders would be of anyone’s concerns about on ice performance. So his hair falls out? So his skin has issues? So his etc. has issues? Any self respecting human being with autoimmune issues would punch you right in the nose for doubting their abilities.

I appreciate your insight, man. For me, you’re a go to name for info. I just don’t see this as an issue at all.

The very wise Gordon Downey once said “...piss on all of your background....”

I really don’t understand why autoimmune disorders would be of anyone’s concerns about on ice performance. So his hair falls out? So his skin has issues? So his etc. has issues? Any self respecting human being with autoimmune issues would punch you right in the nose for doubting their abilities.

I appreciate your insight, man. For me, you’re a go to name for info. I just don’t see this as an issue at all.

His brother had to stop playing because of it, at age 20

Well that's not quite it.... Rheumatoid arthritis really affects the joints/bones/tendons, back issues, fingers becoming crippled by mid 20s, I've seen some terrible cases of autoimmune diseases. Some are just simple and incovienent, but typically can be exacerbated by playing competitively. That's the main concern... But it appears that it doesn't look bad when seeing negative reports.

Well that's not quite it.... Rheumatoid arthritis really affects the joints/bones/tendons, back issues, fingers becoming crippled by mid 20s, I've seen some terrible cases of autoimmune diseases. Some are just simple and incovienent, but typically can be exacerbated by playing competitively. That's the main concern... But it appears that it doesn't look bad when seeing negative reports.

Wyld is the smarter and better looking Board Doc.

;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.