How good, Rasmus Dahlin?

dudacek

Rasmus Dahlin  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin this year?

• He'll win the Calder and be the first rookie defenceman to score 50 points in this century
    • He'll get about 40 points and be the Sabres best defenceman by the end of the year
    • He'll look surprisingly poised and total around 30 points
    • He'll have flashes of brilliance and times where he'll be asked to watch and learn, scoring about 20 points
    • He'll have a disappointing season and be in and out of the lineup
  2. 2. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin over the next 15 years?

• He will be the consensus best defenceman of his generation
    • A regular all-star, among the top half-dozen or so defencemen
    • Among the best Sabres defenceman of all-time but not among the league's all-time elite
    • A good, but not great NHL defenceman — Brian Campbell-esque
    • He'll be OK, but mostly disappointing, Jason Woolley maybe?
    • The worst bust since Greg Joly

I think you are confusing Dahlin with his teammate and new Sabres teammate Victor Olofsson who scored 3 goals and totaled 4 pts in the 6 playoffs games. Also Dahlin’s 20 pts in 41 games isn’t as good as Almquists 29 pts in 50 games. Sorry.

Amongst Defenseman, as IKP was referring to, Dahlin and Jonathan Sigalet tied for the playoff lead with 3 points in 6 games

Almquist had one and Donovan none.

I think you are confusing Dahlin with his teammate and new Sabres teammate Victor Olofsson who scored 3 goals and totaled 4 pts in the 6 playoffs games.

Dahlin had three points and was +3 in six playoff games for Frolunda.  Almquist had one point and +2, Donovan zero points and -3.

Defenseman Jesus.

I concur with most of these statements.  I've been watching NHL hockey for way too long to get overly excited about the "Next Big Thing".  Whether that thing is a player, GM or franchise (except for Vegas, maybe), reality never quite seems to meet expectations.  That being said, I hope I'm wrong and this kid turns out to be the Swedish Bobby Orr (minus the bad knees). If he becomes a steady presence on the blue line and can throw in a few goals and assists, I'd be alright with that too. 

Recent past experience with this Sabres team has shown that you should never ignore the effect that team chemistry, coaching, etc. have on a new player.  This could be a thread on its own, but just where did this team's "culture of losing" come from?  Players?  Coaches?  Front Office?  As Oddball from "Kelly's Heroes" would say, "Stop hittin' me with those negative waves, man!  Woof, woof!"

One of my theories has been that there's a "deep state" in the Sabres franchise that survives all administrations and infects successive generations of players. Think Rip, Rick, Rob, the alumni association and so forth. These are some very serious Debbie Downers.

That's definitely part of it for me as well.

But I'm just a guy who, by default, loves a smooth skating defenseman more than any forward.

Yup.

And it’s also the feeling that we are adding the most unattainable piece, the piece it seemed unlikely we’d ever get. Can’t trade for them, can’t usually draft them.

Even the year we got that next-hardest to attain piece, that true first-line C, we happened to trade for another one in ROR at the same time.

Edited by Thorny

Yup.

And it’s also the feeling that we are adding the most unattainable piece, the piece it seemed unlikely we’d ever get. Can’t trade for them, can’t usually draft them.

Even the year we got that next-hardest to attain piece, that true first-line C, we happened to trade for another one in ROR at the same time.

Why would you claim a franchise caliber D-man is the most unattainable piece simply because it has taken the Sabres 48 years to have possibly found their 1st one? ;)

The friggin' Bruins seem to land one every 20-25 years. (Shore, Orr, Bourque, Chara) Hopefully they don't get their next one for 100 years.

From the other thread:  http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/articles/article2.htm

The Buffalo Sabres won more than a draft lottery in April. Just like the Islanders in 1973, they won the privilege of having a legend wear their uniform. It might take him a couple of years, but he will get there and inevitably become the keystone of great Sabres success. Buffalo's long wait for the Stanley Cup -- an even longer wait than Washington's -- should end within the next 10 years if the Sabres figure out how to grow a team around Dahlin in the same way the Islanders did it with Potvin.

Why would you claim a franchise caliber D-man is the most unattainable piece simply because it has taken the Sabres 48 years to have possibly found their 1st one? ;)

The friggin' Bruins seem to land one every 20-25 years. (Shore, Orr, Bourque, Chara) Hopefully they don't get their next one for 100 years.

I suggest you avoid watching #73 on Boston for the foreseeable future if you wish to avoid disappointment 

If Larsson and Lehner are on the way out, would we be wise to sign/acquire a Swedish Vet to help Dahlin adjust to life in the NHL?

For example, would Pitt trade us 29 yr old LW Carl Hagelin. He has 1 yr left at 4.0.

Duda, is this another reason you wanted Klefbom?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

You're expecting McAvoy to be a perenial Norris Trophy candidate & worthy of mention at the same level as those other 4?

In his 20yo rookie season, he paced for over 40 points and had elite metrics from every aspect you could think to look, and will probably finish in the teens in Norris voting already.

I do think so. He looks better than Doughty did in his second post draft season, and actually has a playing style nearly identical

If Larsson and Lehner are on the way out, would we be wise to sign/acquire a Swedish Vet to help Dahlin adjust to life in the NHL?

For example, would Pitt trade us 29 yr old LW Carl Hagelin. He has 1 yr left at 4.0.

Duda, is this another reason you wanted Klefbom?

Yep. And unlike, say, Enstrom, he could conceivably join Rasmus on our first pair for a long time. Edited by dudacek

In his 20yo rookie season, he paced for over 40 points and had elite metrics from every aspect you could think to look, and will probably finish in the teens in Norris voting already.

I do think so. He looks better than Doughty did in his second post draft season, and actually has a playing style nearly identical

In fairness, Myers looked like a worldbeater his rookie 20 yo season as well. 48 points in his rookie year. 37 in the "sophomore slump" season and 6 points in the ill-fated Filly playoff series.

There's a lot of guys, even w/ good pedigrees, that look like they'll be truly special their 1st 2 years and then end up meh or just good. It truly would be wrong if McAvoy ends up a true stud. #### the Bruins. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.