How good, Rasmus Dahlin?

dudacek

Rasmus Dahlin  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin this year?

• He'll win the Calder and be the first rookie defenceman to score 50 points in this century
    • He'll get about 40 points and be the Sabres best defenceman by the end of the year
    • He'll look surprisingly poised and total around 30 points
    • He'll have flashes of brilliance and times where he'll be asked to watch and learn, scoring about 20 points
    • He'll have a disappointing season and be in and out of the lineup
  2. 2. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin over the next 15 years?

• He will be the consensus best defenceman of his generation
    • A regular all-star, among the top half-dozen or so defencemen
    • Among the best Sabres defenceman of all-time but not among the league's all-time elite
    • A good, but not great NHL defenceman — Brian Campbell-esque
    • He'll be OK, but mostly disappointing, Jason Woolley maybe?
    • The worst bust since Greg Joly

I think WildCard has bigger feet than Freeman and myself. Maybe bigger hands, too.

Whoa a pretty big statement because if that's true he has a bigger you know what than you guys too.

Than again you doctors and lawyers don't really need one of those to get the girls you got the moohla!!!!

Edited by jsb

Can anything other than a moribund franchise produce this sort of reaction? Would Hawk fans be talking like this? There's a whiff of desperation.

dudes, I object to being placed in the "I told you so" category. (Unless the "I told you so" would be "I told you not to count your chickens." I definitely won't be in the "I told you he'd suck" camp. I haven't said that, although I've definitely poked some people who've started counting the Norrises up.)

I guess I'm just agnostic on the guy. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping you're all right. I think a couple of things are driving this. I've noticed in the younger crowd that everything these days is "amazing." I have to try this recipe or that because it's "amazing." Superlatives have lost their meaning. There are too many "next big things."

Beyond that, there's the Internet, which allows hype to proliferate. Who benefits from this hype? Swedish hockey, the NHL, the Sabres, and of course Rasmus and his agent to some extent.

So, yeah, I'm an old guy shaking his fist at kids and their gizmos.

If this was 1987 and the Hockey News said it was so, I'd be very excited.

I concur with most of these statements.  I've been watching NHL hockey for way too long to get overly excited about the "Next Big Thing".  Whether that thing is a player, GM or franchise (except for Vegas, maybe), reality never quite seems to meet expectations.  That being said, I hope I'm wrong and this kid turns out to be the Swedish Bobby Orr (minus the bad knees). If he becomes a steady presence on the blue line and can throw in a few goals and assists, I'd be alright with that too. 

Recent past experience with this Sabres team has shown that you should never ignore the effect that team chemistry, coaching, etc. have on a new player.  This could be a thread on its own, but just where did this team's "culture of losing" come from?  Players?  Coaches?  Front Office?  As Oddball from "Kelly's Heroes" would say, "Stop hittin' me with those negative waves, man!  Woof, woof!"

Can anything other than a moribund franchise produce this sort of reaction? Would Hawk fans be talking like this? There's a whiff of desperation.

dudes, I object to being placed in the "I told you so" category. (Unless the "I told you so" would be "I told you not to count your chickens." I definitely won't be in the "I told you he'd suck" camp. I haven't said that, although I've definitely poked some people who've started counting the Norrises up.)

I guess I'm just agnostic on the guy. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping you're all right. I think a couple of things are driving this. I've noticed in the younger crowd that everything these days is "amazing." I have to try this recipe or that because it's "amazing." Superlatives have lost their meaning. There are too many "next big things."

Beyond that, there's the Internet, which allows hype to proliferate. Who benefits from this hype? Swedish hockey, the NHL, the Sabres, and of course Rasmus and his agent to some extent.

So, yeah, I'm an old guy shaking his fist at kids and their gizmos.

If this was 1987 and the Hockey News said it was so, I'd be very excited.

I’d say the Hawks fans were talking exactly like this in 2007 as they were preparing to add Kane and Toews. Sabres fans were doing the same in 2015 as they got ready for Eichel and O’Reilly.

You and Liger were the first two to pop into my mind in terms of the most likely to be, respectively, pumping the brakes hard and effusive in their praise. Your replies say I wasn’t wrong there.

Edited by dudacek

I have higher expectations for Mittlestadt than Dahlin. Euro defenders have a higher learning curve due to the dimensions of the ice and style of game played over there. It's extremely rare that a Euro comes over immediately and doesn't struggle.

The North American game is much more physical and requires you to process information much quicker. It us especially tough on young defensemen.

I think he's a fine prospect but a weak draft and the recent trend toward highly skilled defenseman has inflated his value IMO.

This is not a weak draft. It is a decidedly average draft. 

I’d say the Hawks fans were talking exactly like this in 2007 as they were preparing to add Kane and Toews. Sabres fans were doing the same in 2015 as they got ready for Eichel and O’Reilly.

You and Liger were the first two to pop into my mind in terms of the most likely to be, respectively, pumping the brakes hard and effusive in their praise. Your replies say I wasn’t wrong there.

I gave cautioned thoughts on Dahlin but no one wanted hear them so why not just say he's gonna be awesome. 

I am just having fun with both Casey and Rasi D because what else is there when it comes to the Sabres. I have limited expectations this year and still think they are couple of top end players especially on offense and development away. Hopefully 2 1sts in the 2019 draft get Sabres close talent wise as some of the young guys in AHL step up. Again being all in on Dahleen and Casey is our Lord and Savior is fun even if a few years away till fruition.

Edited by North Buffalo

I have higher expectations for Mittlestadt than Dahlin. Euro defenders have a higher learning curve due to the dimensions of the ice and style of game played over there. It's extremely rare that a Euro comes over immediately and doesn't struggle.

The North American game is much more physical and requires you to process information much quicker. It us especially tough on young defensemen.

I think he's a fine prospect but a weak draft and the recent trend toward highly skilled defenseman has inflated his value IMO.

This is absolutely bananas. Casey has nowhere near the physical stature Dahlin has, Casey did not spend the last season playing in a league against grown men, Casey will likely only get 3rd line minutes, and Casey plays in a league that is, much more contradictory to what you're saying, much harder to adapt to than the SHL is to over here. You act like Dahlin has never played on a smaller ice. You also act like Dahlin isn't quick, physical, or smart in a very rare way.

If you honestly think Casey Mittelstadt will have an easier job, coming from a shorter and less physical NCAA season, than Dahlin will coming from a longer, more physical season, because the ice is 10ft smaller, you're out of your mind. 

This is absolutely bananas. Casey has nowhere near the physical stature Dahlin has, Casey did not spend the last season playing in a league against grown men, Casey will likely only get 3rd line minutes, and Casey plays in a league that is, much more contradictory to what you're saying, much harder to adapt to than the SHL is to over here. You act like Dahlin has never played on a smaller ice. You also act like Dahlin isn't quick, physical, or smart in a very rare way.

If you honestly think Casey Mittelstadt will have an easier job, coming from a shorter and less physical NCAA season, than Dahlin will coming from a longer, more physical season, because the ice is 10ft smaller, you're out of your mind.

One note on Dahlin. He finished 3rd in D scoring on his SHL team last year. So while he is immensely talented, he’ll be playing in a new league with new teammates in a new country in a faster league, with more physical players, where things happen quicker on a smaller ice surface. Hedman had 21 pts his last year in the SHL and then 20, 26 and 23 pts in his first 3 NHL seasons. He fully blossomed in the strike year and has dominated ever since. Dahlin had 20 pts for his SHL team last year.

One note on Dahlin. He finished 3rd in D scoring on his SHL team last year. So while he is immensely talented, he’ll be playing in a new league with new teammates in a new country in a faster league, with more physical players, where things happen quicker on a smaller ice surface. Hedman had 21 pts his last year in the SHL and then 20, 26 and 23 pts in his first 3 NHL seasons. He fully blossomed in the strike year and has dominated ever since. Dahlin had 20 pts for his SHL team last year.

Fair enough. Dahlin is also much better than Hedman was however. I just think it's insane to have higher expectations for Casey than Dahlin for this season

I don't think barely a year matters that much though to overcome everything else I've listed

Barely a year... 17 months is almost a year and a half. The difference between an 18 year old and a 20 year old is a lot. Casey will play most of this year at 20 while Dahlin will play perhaps the entire season as a 18 year old. That is a huge difference, physically and mentally. 

I just hope in March I am sitting here debating whether or not Dahlin or Mittelstadt should win the Calder or how many points they might score in the playoffs.

Barely a year... 17 months is almost a year and a half. The difference between an 18 year old and a 20 year old is a lot. Casey will play most of this year at 20 while Dahlin will play perhaps the entire season as a 18 year old. That is a huge difference, physically and mentally. 

So you believe Casey will have a better year

So you believe Casey will have a better year

To be truthful, I would expect Mittelstadt to be in the low 40's in points and Dahlin to be in the mid 30's. Those would be realistic expectations. Mittelstadt will have more goals than Dahlin and I think that gives him more production. I would expect Mittelstadt and Dahlin to be the engine of the 2nd PP unit. Both will have good chances to get points but this team has multiple issues with depth and accessory pieces.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.