How good, Rasmus Dahlin?

dudacek

Rasmus Dahlin  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin this year?

• He'll win the Calder and be the first rookie defenceman to score 50 points in this century
    • He'll get about 40 points and be the Sabres best defenceman by the end of the year
    • He'll look surprisingly poised and total around 30 points
    • He'll have flashes of brilliance and times where he'll be asked to watch and learn, scoring about 20 points
    • He'll have a disappointing season and be in and out of the lineup
  2. 2. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin over the next 15 years?

• He will be the consensus best defenceman of his generation
    • A regular all-star, among the top half-dozen or so defencemen
    • Among the best Sabres defenceman of all-time but not among the league's all-time elite
    • A good, but not great NHL defenceman — Brian Campbell-esque
    • He'll be OK, but mostly disappointing, Jason Woolley maybe?
    • The worst bust since Greg Joly

To be truthful, I would expect Mittelstadt to be in the low 40's in points and Dahlin to be in the mid 30's. Those would be realistic expectations. Mittelstadt will have more goals than Dahlin and I think that gives him more production. I would expect Mittelstadt and Dahlin to be the engine of the 2nd PP unit. Both will have good chances to get points but this team has multiple issues with depth and accessory pieces.

Without knowing the details, those point totals would definitely indicate that Dahlin had a better season.

To be truthful, I would expect Mittelstadt to be in the low 40's in points and Dahlin to be in the mid 30's. Those would be realistic expectations. Mittelstadt will have more goals than Dahlin and I think that gives him more production. I would expect Mittelstadt and Dahlin to be the engine of the 2nd PP unit. Both will have good chances to get points but this team has multiple issues with depth and accessory pieces.

Without knowing the details, those point totals would definitely indicate that Dahlin had a better season.

Yeah I was going to say, it's hard to compare raw point totals in this case. Hard to compare defense to offense, but I think there will be a clear cut winner at the end of the year

Fair enough. Dahlin is also much better than Hedman was however. I just think it's insane to have higher expectations for Casey than Dahlin for this season

I’m not sure you can say Dahlin is better at this point then Hedman. Hedman was 2nd overall behind Tavares. That sounds like a very similar prospect to Dahlin. I think the comparison is on point and I expect similar production in the NHL initially. Karlsson also scored about 26 pts his first year in the NHL, but he spent an extra year in the SHL.

Hedman was also drafted by a rebuilding TB club, so his situation was very similar to what Dahlin is stepping into.

As to Dahlin vs Casey, it’s apples to oranges.

I’m not sure you can say Dahlin is better at this point then Hedman. Hedman was 2nd overall behind Tavares. That sounds like a very similar prospect to Dahlin. I think the comparison is on point and I expect similar production in the NHL initially. Karlsson also scored about 26 pts his first year in the NHL, but he spent an extra year in the SHL.

Hedman was also drafted by a rebuilding TB club, so his situation was very similar to what Dahlin is stepping into.

As to Dahlin vs Casey, it’s apples to oranges.

I think you can definitively say Dahlin is better than Hedman was at his age; Karlsson has flat out admitted Dahlin is better than he himself was at that age

Yeah I wouldn't expect Hedman to go #1 there, but that's not why I say Dahlin is better. He's faster, more creative offensively, with the same speed and size

I think you can definitively say Dahlin is better than Hedman was at his age; Karlsson has flat out admitted Dahlin is better than he himself was at that age

Yeah I wouldn't expect Hedman to go #1 there, but that's not why I say Dahlin is better. He's faster, more creative offensively, with the same speed and size

This doesn't mean anything with respect to what you claim before the semicolon. 

Karlsson was drafted after 15 other skaters. Of course Dahlin, and every other top 15 prospect of the last 10 years, was better than Karlsson at that age, roughly speaking.

This doesn't mean anything with respect to what you claim before the semicolon. 

Karlsson was drafted after 15 other skaters. Of course Dahlin, and every other top 15 prospect of the last 10 years, was better than Karlsson at that age, roughly speaking.

Just because he was drafted that late doesn't mean he was worse than those 15 other skaters at that age. 

I see what you're saying though. My point more so was Karlsson > Hedman, Dhalin > Hedman 18 > Karlsson 18, so Dahlin > Karlsson > Hedman

Just because he was drafted that late doesn't mean he was worse than those 15 other skaters at that age. 

I see what you're saying though. My point more so was Karlsson > Hedman, Dhalin > Hedman 18 > Karlsson 18, so Dahlin > Karlsson > Hedman

That's what I meant by "roughly speaking" teams have different boards, of course. 

But that logic is bad because it doesn't take into account the fact that every player has a different development curve. Karlsson developed far, far more than Hedman did from a different starting point, and I agree that Dahlin's starting point is better than both (much better than EK and slightly better than VH). 

That's what I meant by "roughly speaking" teams have different boards, of course. 

But that logic is bad because it doesn't take into account the fact that every player has a different development curve. Karlsson developed far, far more than Hedman did from a different starting point, and I agree that Dahlin's starting point is better than both (much better than EK and slightly better than VH). 

I know it's not an exact science, but give someone a 14 mile head start in a marathon though and I would think they would win. I would much rather have the guy that is further ahead in his development; chances are higher that he becomes better than the other guy. It's not a given, but I think more likely

Edited by WildCard

I know it's not an exact science. Give someone a 14 mile head start in a marathon though and I would think they would win

He doesn't have that on either guy though, which is why we watch the games! 

He isn't McDavid, coming into the league already the best in the world at at least 3 things (Skating, hands, and IQ). 

He's the 3rd highest scoring D on his SHL team, coming into a league of players far greater than he's ever seen. 

He'll be fine, and he'll probably be great, but asserting any more than that just leads to meaningless arguments of the kind I find myself in so much 

Actually Dahlin is considerably smaller at 6’2 vs the 6’6 Hedman. Hedman was also more physical player and better able to handle the physical NHL game

Actually Dahlin is considerably smaller at 6’2 vs the 6’6 Hedman. Hedman was also more physical player and better able to handle the physical NHL game

Hmm I stand corrected

You guys, get on the Dahlin train already. He's the best, around

Dahlin is a better skater than Hedman. 

He stickhandles better than Hedman.

If this is all true... and Dahlin has Gretzkyesque on-ice awareness and vision... then please explain why he was only 3rd leading scoring defenseman on this SHL team....

Matt f'ing Donovan... remember him?  He was one of the Frolunda defensemen who outscored Dahlin last season.   

So we're basically getting a younger less production version of Matt Donovan.  yay 

If this is all true... and Dahlin has Gretzkyesque on-ice awareness and vision... then please explain why he was only 3rd leading scoring defenseman on this SHL team....

Matt f'ing Donovan... remember him?  He was one of the Frolunda defensemen who outscored Dahlin last season.   

So we're basically getting a younger less production version of Matt Donovan.  yay 

Salient point until the bold. 

Well, Yakupov went #1 not long ago, as did Anthony Bennett in the NBA.

Both of which went #1 in notoriously weak draft classes. This class isn't weak, and even if it was, it would only be considered weak after Dahlin. Prospects don't get the hype Dahlin has and bust with today's scouting. Yakupov wasn't considered nearly the prospect that Dahlin is.

Pi fails to mention Dahlin played fewer games than those other two defensemen.  He also fails to mention that Dahlin led among Frolunda D in goals and points in the playoffs.

I think you are confusing Dahlin with his teammate and new Sabres teammate Victor Olofsson who scored 3 goals and totaled 4 pts in the 6 playoffs games. Also Dahlin’s 20 pts in 41 games isn’t as good as Almquists 29 pts in 50 games. Sorry.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.