Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Think it was already said afterwards by the NHL that the penalty should not have been called.

I found this on Yahoo News:

the NHL which admits the referees technically, by the letter of the law, got the call right, but that they don’t want to see it called in that situation.

From the NHL, via Rutherford:

“It is a minor penalty to play with an exempt stick so technically ref got it right. But the NHL does not want that penalty called in that situation. It does not want refs nor players to need presence of mind to know who’s using who’s stick or if it’s exempt during play. It could be penalized if the bench had handed Parayko’s stick to Tarasenko or if Tarasenko had returned for his next shift with it. But moving forward the NHL will only call a penalty under those circumstances when play is stopped and when challenged by opposition. Even if Colorado had challenged last night, the NHL would not want that to be called a penalty in the manner it unfolded.”

The interesting thing is last night I saw someone mention that supposedly the refs had a list of all exempt stick players so they could call this should it come up.  If the league didn't want this to be called you would think they wouldn't worry about that list so much.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I found this on Yahoo News:

The interesting thing is last night I saw someone mention that supposedly the refs had a list of all exempt stick players so they could call this should it come up.  If the league didn't want this to be called you would think they wouldn't worry about that list so much.

I agree but you do need the list if Colorado asked for a stick check on Parayko they need to know that the stick length is ok for him. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

This Tampa/Jets game is really good.

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Seriously, if you are not watching this game, then you hate hockey.

And I was wondering how a Buccaneers-NYJ game (1) could be good and (2) is in the NHL thread.  I'm not kidding.  I think I'm going back to sleep.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yup they can still score... their goaltending is a bit better lately and Crosby is back.  They will hang around, but their D is suspect.  

50 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Don't look now, but the Penguins after being terrible have made it into the top 3 in the Metro.

That being said, they would still be 6th in the Atlantic.

Edited by North Buffalo

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

With us in 2nd in the Atlantic right now, how do the playoffs work? Would we play 3rd in our division (Toronto), and then 1st (Tampa) assuming both wildcard teams lose?

Yeah, the format is beyond stupid.     You would have 2 of the top 3 teams (BUF vs TOR) in the East playing in the first round.... so a top 3 team exits in round 1.     Then you would have the number 1 team (TBL) playing the number 2 team (BUF) in the second round.     The idea was to create divisional rivalries, but you end up punishing a team for finishing 3rd (BUF) vs finishing as the top wildcard seed (who would play the winner of the Metro in rnd 1).

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Yeah, the format is beyond stupid.     You would have 2 of the top 3 teams (BUF vs TOR) in the East playing in the first round.... so a top 3 team exits in round 1.     Then you would have the number 1 team (TBL) playing the number 2 team (BUF) in the second round.     The idea was to create divisional rivalries, but you end up punishing a team for finishing 3rd (BUF) vs finishing as the top wildcard seed (who would play the winner of the Metro in rnd 1).

Holy hell that is awful. Never really payed attention to it until right now but yeah unless Tampa loses we're probably better off finishing in the wildcard, which is like you said beyond stupid

Is there any talk of changing it anytime soon?

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It is the worse playoff format in sports. It completely devalues the regular season and is one of the best current reasons to boo Gary Bettman. We should start a petition. 

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The format is beyond terrible, but like the Wild guy said, we never really needed to pay that close attention to it until now.

That said, win as many games as you can and secure as many points as possible.

But.   Let's say the last game of the season BUF is the top wildcard team, one point out of 3rd place... Do they throw the game so the get a better matchup in rnd 1?   

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

NHL has had a ton of formats. They started tinkering right off the git go! http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25433

I liked when they would rank them 1-16.... with 1 vs 16 in the first round.     IIRC, BUF played VAN in the first round one season?    That would truly reward the top teams, and you'd also guarantee to the two best teams face off in the SC Finals.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I liked when they would rank them 1-16.... with 1 vs 16 in the first round.     IIRC, BUF played VAN in the first round one season?    That would truly reward the top teams, and you'd also guarantee to the two best teams face off in the SC Finals.

I'd still prefer to keep it within conference. The cross-conference playoffs is a cool idea but I think the novelty of it would wear off. I want to hate the teams in my conference and play those teams that I play the most in the playoffs; I play Vancouver 2x a year, but Washington 4x