Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

The MacKinnon dilemna is a real issue. It's going to be interesting to see who deals with their contract issues first, Toronto or Colorado 

The issue, such as it is and as I understand it, is that MacKinnon is signed (fairly) long-term on a deal that is quite favourable to the club and renders the player underpaid for the balance of the term. If Nikko (Mikko?) comes along and gets nearly twice what MacKinnon is getting, then ... well, that could be a problem internally. Not from a salary cap standpoint. From a team cohesion standpoint.

55 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The MacKinnon contract is no issue.  It's that other guy.  You know the leading scorer in the NHL guy.

Not quite how it was related to me. They can pay them both. But how will MacKinnon deal with earning about 1/2 of what the other top dog is making?

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

that could be a problem internally. Not from a salary cap standpoint. From a team cohesion standpoint.

I don't know, I don't make that kind of money and never will, but if that bothers MacKinnon he needs to readjust his priorities imo.  He signed a contract; if he didn't want to live by it long term, he should have signed a shorter one.  But in the meantime, if he can't live on $6M per year I feel sorry for him.  The rest is just ego and if he's not making enough in comparison to a teammate and that messes him up, that's on him.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't know, I don't make that kind of money and never will, but if that bothers MacKinnon he needs to readjust his priorities imo.  He signed a contract; if he didn't want to live by it long term, he should have signed a shorter one.  But in the meantime, if he can't live on $6M per year I feel sorry for him.  The rest is just ego and if he's not making enough in comparison to a teammate and that messes him up, that's on him.

Well, all I can say is that there are highly qualified people who get paid a lotta money themselves to oversee these matters who believe that it could and probably would be an issue. 

I won't venture a take on whether this should or should not be the case.

I can also say that some of those same people at the franchise in question have gone so far as to suggest that the player's line assignment and/or role be changed so that he'll be less expensive this summer.  That's quite something.

• Like (+1) 1

MacKinnon is one of the most down to earth people that I have ever met (a few occasions and only briefly), so based on that very small sample size I do not hink he would have an issue.

Avs management using a perception that he does to some kind of negotiating advantage with that other guy?  Yup, that I can see.

Is Sakic still running that show?  He would not put up with this kind of nonsense, IMO.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

MacKinnon is one of the most down to earth people that I have ever met (a few occasions and only briefly), so based on that very small sample size I do not hink he would have an issue.

Avs management using a perception that he does to some kind of negotiating advantage with that other guy?  Yup, that I can see.

Is Sakic still running that show?  He would not put up with this kind of nonsense, IMO.

Interesting take.

But, like I said, the way I heard it indicated that it was a real point of internal conflict in the FO.

Sakic is the guy in charge there, yes. From what I understand, he very much respects the opinions of the people who are expressing these concerns -- although I don't imagine he's apt to tell the coaches to move the league's leading scorer to a different line.

Well the Av's (and Nuggets) owner is a Walmart heiress... Ann Walton (net worth of $6.8 billion).    Her father Bud Walton was the brother (and business partner) of Sam Walton.     What this has to do with anything, idk.    Maybe she's not a hockey fan?

• Haha (+1) 1

I thought Kroenke owner those teams. 

Anyway, it’s a fact of life for NHL players that a deal signed today is always going to be bigger than one signed a few years back. You sign a long term one and there’s a very good chance a teammate will top you later in that deal. It’s going to happen with Jack too. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I thought Kroenke owner those teams. 

Anyway, it’s a fact of life for NHL players that a deal signed today is always going to be bigger than one signed a few years back. You sign a long term one and there’s a very good chance a teammate will top you later in that deal. It’s going to happen with Jack too. 

He does, he is married to Ann Walton Kroenke he had to cede control of the the Avs and Nuggets to her to comply with NFL Bylaws. 

Edited by Brawndo

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Hasn't really happened in Chicago, though. Is that the exception?

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The issue, such as it is and as I understand it, is that MacKinnon is signed (fairly) long-term on a deal that is quite favourable to the club and renders the player underpaid for the balance of the term. If Nikko (Mikko?) comes along and gets nearly twice what MacKinnon is getting, then ... well, that could be a problem internally. Not from a salary cap standpoint. From a team cohesion standpoint.

Not quite how it was related to me. They can pay them both. But how will MacKinnon deal with earning about 1/2 of what the other top dog is making?

Well, this is what/why teams have to be careful about getting TOO good of a deal from their star players. What happens when that next guy is due to get paid?  And beyond that, what happens when the team's internal "this is the highest salary we'll have" doesn't just get exceeded by a "well, the salary cap increase still has you at a higher percentage of the cap" but by so much so that soon your not-quite core players are making more than the man himself? 

Sure, you can keep 2nd tier guys at contracts that are under MacKinnon's when Rantanen is only making $1-2MM more than him; but how do you do it if he's making $5MM more?  Agent to Sakic: "seriously, my client is only worth 50% of what Rantanen is to this team?  Enjoy matching our offer sheet."

It's a set up for hard feelings all around.

Much better IMHO to have MacKinnon at $7.5MM & Landeskog at $6.5MM (which are still discounts to the team) with Rantanen cashing in than how it'll work with them at $6MM & $5.5MM respectively like they're at now.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Penalty I’ve never heard of. St Louis in OT, D loses stick. F hands D his stick. After a bit the F grabs the stick on the ice. It’s not broken. They get a penalty for illegal equipment. WTF? So Ryan O’Reilly out on PK, gets breakaway and scores shorthanded winner anyways.

40 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Penalty I’ve never heard of. St Louis in OT, D loses stick. F hands D his stick. After a bit the F grabs the stick on the ice. It’s not broken. They get a penalty for illegal equipment. WTF? So Ryan O’Reilly out on PK, gets breakaway and scores shorthanded winner anyways.

I believe the penalty was that Tarasenko used Parayko's stick which is oversized due to his height.  Parayko has a waiver that allows him to use it, Tarasenko does not, thus illegal equipment.

• Like (+1) 1

It's no secret that I have a 2nd team, the Panthers. They went on a complete tear last year after the all-star break, becoming the team with the most points not to make the playoffs. Finishing off the season 23-8-2. Trochek got hurt, which was a major loss. But now the team has no heart. Is the team that weak where the loss of one player makes that much of a difference? Granted, Lou was hurt for a while and Reimer absolutely blows. But does the loss of heart come from coaching? Does Tallon wait it out until next year to see if things fix itself? They're loaded with talent, I hate to see the team get broken up. But where do things go from here? 

5 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

It's no secret that I have a 2nd team, the Panthers. They went on a complete tear last year after the all-star break, becoming the team with the most points not to make the playoffs. Finishing off the season 23-8-2. Trochek got hurt, which was a major loss. But now the team has no heart. Is the team that weak where the loss of one player makes that much of a difference? Granted, Lou was hurt for a while and Reimer absolutely blows. But does the loss of heart come from coaching? Does Tallon wait it out until next year to see if things fix itself? They're loaded with talent, I hate to see the team get broken up. But where do things go from here? 

A key injury(s) can be devastating.  I think Tallon does not panic.  He is not the type and he has worked hard to build a pretty darn good team.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Maybe "no heart" is not a thing. Guys without heart don't tend to make it to the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Quebec City!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/15/2018 at 5:37 AM, Doohickie said:

I believe the penalty was that Tarasenko used Parayko's stick which is oversized due to his height.  Parayko has a waiver that allows him to use it, Tarasenko does not, thus illegal equipment.

Think it was already said afterwards by the NHL that the penalty should not have been called.