Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WildCard

Around the NHL 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Saw on Sportsnet they were doing a ranking of the value of currently rostered Leafs players, and where Nylander fit. I think the consensus was 6th. Was thinking, what would be your rank of the top 10 currently rostered Sabres players by long-term value? As if you were starting a new team today. Not easy to do, I don't think. I'd go:

1. Dahlin

2. Eichel

3. Skinner

4. Mittelstadt

5. Ristolainen

6. Reinhart

7. Ullmark

8. McCabe

9. Sheary

10. Thompson

---

I think the biggest gap is after 6, similarly to Toronto. 

Going strictly LT (3+ seasons, & ideally 6+):

1. Dahlin

1A. Eichel

3. Mittelstadt

4. Skinner

5. Ristolainen

5A. Reinhart

7. Ullmark

8. McCabe

8A. Pilut

10. Thompson.

& With 4 D in the top 9, maybe they protect 4 & 4.

And Nylander, Olofsson, Smith, Sheary, Guhle, or Borgen could possibly be 10; but I'll stick w/ Tage in that slot for now.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda like what we are paying our 6th ranked asset vs what the Leafs are paying theirs...

(I know, we still have a ways to go to catch them overall)

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My list:

1. Dahlin

2. Eichel

3. Mittelstadt

4. Risto

5. Reinhart

6. Skinner

7. Pilut

8. Ullmark

9. Thompson

10. McCabe

 

Mittelstadt is still all perception but hopefully that turns to reality sooner rather than later. Skinner is “overrated” in that he’s an incredible goal scorer and skater and can do literally nothing else. Reinhart, long-term, is the better player. As is Risto (and d > wing in terms of value).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, inkman said:

Which is infinitely worse as Miller is not a general POS

Nope.  Just average.

Can someone get my coat, please?  I think I better leave now.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the Canes@Ducks game.  For some reason Carolina is wearing their home reds and Anaheim are wearing their black jerseys.  Tough to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Watching the Canes@Ducks game.  For some reason Carolina is wearing their home reds and Anaheim are wearing their black jerseys.  Tough to watch

That sounds awesome. Wish there were way more color on color games. The Canes are on a five-game road trip and will apparently wear red in all five games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Watching the Canes@Ducks game.  For some reason Carolina is wearing their home reds and Anaheim are wearing their black jerseys.  Tough to watch

It's the first time in some 3 decades I believe. Can't seem to find the exact year

Also

Duchene to the IR

And the Blackhawks are 3-14-3 in their last 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WildCard said:

It's the first time in some 3 decades I believe. Can't seem to find the exact year

Also

Duchene to the IR

And the Blackhawks are 3-14-3 in their last 20

So, it seems that they may have fires the wrong guy, or not enough guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, it seems that they may have fires the wrong guy, or not enough guys.

Their gm is bad at cap management. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Matt Duchene Out for weeks with a groin injury. Placed on IR. 

 

HE suffered a groin injury?  That doesn't exactly narrow it down, now does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, it seems that they may have fires the wrong guy, or not enough guys.

Shades of 2013.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Their gm is bad at cap management. 

Probably but they sold their souls to win cups. I hope we get the chance to witness the same. 

Edited by inkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2018 at 6:38 AM, Thorny said:

Saw on Sportsnet they were doing a ranking of the value of currently rostered Leafs players, and where Nylander fit. I think the consensus was 6th. Was thinking, what would be your rank of the top 10 currently rostered Sabres players by long-term value? As if you were starting a new team today. Not easy to do, I don't think. I'd go:

1. Dahlin

2. Eichel

3. Skinner

4. Mittelstadt

5. Ristolainen

6. Reinhart

7. Ullmark

8. McCabe

9. Sheary

10. Thompson

---

I think the biggest gap is after 6, similarly to Toronto. 

1. Dahlin

2. Eichel 

3. Skinner 

4. Hutton

5. Risto 

6. Ullmark 

7. Sam

8. Mitts 

9. McCabe

10. Pilut

Had to put both goalies because that win streak does not happen with Lehner or the like.

Pilut has played well in short time and IMO should stay.

TBH I only put Mitts because other people did but right now I could see Sheary taking his place on the list.

Edited by RambosKnife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After wins by The Bruins and Canadiens the Sabres now have a 2 point lead on Boston and 3 point lead on Montreal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

After wins by The Bruins and Canadiens the Sabres now have a 2 point lead on Boston and 3 point lead on Montreal 

What's their lead in the sens and red wings? Let's focus on relevant things. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, inkman said:

What's their lead in the sens and red wings? Let's focus on relevant things. 

8 points and 10 on the last place Florida. A couple wins this week would be nice. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LA is playing better... can't take them lightly.... Hope Sabres come out and play a full 60 min.  

As far as value... Mitts is an unknown to me at this point as well as Thompson.. but I think they both could be top 6, Risto, McCabe, Dhalin and Pilut make it, Sheary is not imo, but a good depth piece, just not long term.  Bogo may surprise some folks if he can stay healthy..  Jack obviously and would rank him 1.

1. Jack
2. Dhalin
3. Ullmark probably though not yet.
4. Skinner
5. Mitts hopefully
6. Risto
7. McCabe
8. Pilut
9. Sam maybe
10. Thompson

Need another center, scoring winger and big D who can skate to replace Bogo long term. Hopefully Oloffson, Nylander can make it up next year as well as maybe one other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assets are valued by GMs four ways: production, projection, position and paycheque.

Tier One

Jack is a young franchise centre with elite skills, size and a competitive streak on a long-term contract with very little in the way of off-ice baggage. His current production is excellent and he may not be at his peak. He gets paid a lot, but is locked up for the duration of his prime. He is among the most high-value assets in the league.

Dahlin is very close at number two. The only thing keeping him out of the top spot is the fact that his game is unproven. He’s cheap, his character is impeccable, and he is under team control for a long time. He is producing as a top-20 defenceman already and his defence and analytics are promising. His skill is elite and his upside is multiple Norris trophy winner.

Tier Two

I think the Internet generally undervalues Ristolainen compared to NHL GMs. Every team is in the market for a PP defenceman who can put up 40-plus points. Every team wants to add a big defenceman with a mean streak. Every team wants mobile blueliners who can carry the puck and create offence. Every team needs another right-handed defenceman. Risto is all those things in one package. He can play a lot of minutes in any situation. He’s also just 24 and on a good contract.

Any player capable of putting up nearly a point a game at less than $4 million is a godsend in the cap era. Add in the fact that his analytics consistently have shown a player that improves the numbers of whoever he plays with, and his extraordinary durability and Sam Reinhart is a first-line forward on most teams in the league. He loses points for being a winger, gains them for being 23 with another RFA contract in him.

If the Sabres are going to contend, Mittelstadt needs to vault over the two guys in front of him and become the first-line-centre-on-The-second-line most great teams seem to have. But right now this placing is largely projection. His competitiveness is excellent and his defence surprising. His first-line skills show from time to time. You can see the potential for Dale Hawerchuk, but you can also see Cody Hodgson or Tim Connolly.

Most of you will disagree with this ranking, but we did get a pretty good indication of Jeff Skinner’s value in the summer: would you trade Reinhart or Ristolainen or Mittelstadt for Cliff Pu and a second-rounder? Yes, he has improved his value, but he remains an impending UFA winger with limitations to his game who will command a hefty chunk of your salary cap and who will probably never have as good a season as he is having right now. That’s very much balanced off by the fact he is still only 26 and is among the best goal scorers in the league, which remains hockey’s most sought-after skill.

Tier three

When you look at the pluses and minuses of the rest of the Sabres roster, McCabe quickly emerges as number seven on the list. His strengths and weaknesses are actually pretty similar to Ristolainen’s just on a lesser scale. Reliable, rounded and competitive 2nd pairing defencemen are in demand.

Tier four

Scandella and Bogosian and Sheary and Okposo are the Sabres next-best skaters and are all solid, mid-roster NHLers. But their situations are complicated by things like contract situations and injury histories. Youngsters like Thompson, Ullmark, Pilut and Nylander still haven’t shown enough. So I’m going to have to go with Hutton at number 10. He’s older, but there isn’t a lot of miles there and his production versus salary ratio is excellent.

I say 10 because I would trade him for a pick in the teens or even early 20s and I suspect we will have two of those coming our way in the next two years. (Hopefully they are San Jose’s and St. louis’s). Those are our next best assets.

 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Chad Johnson on waivers from St Louis 

Nice goalies Dougie. Though Chad isn't the one that instantly ended their chances against VAN with 3 goals on the first 6 shots.

----------------------------------------------------------

u30ulEtl.png

The Senators adding another chapter to the Sabrepede Series 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Nice goalies Dougie. Though Chad isn't the one that instantly ended their chances against VAN with 3 goals on the first 6 shots.

----------------------------------------------------------

u30ulEtl.png

The Senators adding another chapter to the Sabrepede Series 

They are the skeleton to the Sabres' bobsled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Assets are valued by GMs four ways: production, projection, position and paycheque.

Tier One

Jack is a young franchise centre with elite skills, size and a competitive streak on a long-term contract with very little in the way of off-ice baggage. His current production is excellent and he may not be at his peak. He gets paid a lot, but is locked up for the duration of his prime. He is among the most high-value assets in the league.

Dahlin is very close at number two. The only thing keeping him out of the top spot is the fact that his game is unproven. He’s cheap, his character is impeccable, and he is under team control for a long time. He is producing as a top-20 defenceman already and his defence and analytics are promising. His skill is elite and his upside is multiple Norris trophy winner.

Tier Two

I think the Internet generally undervalues Ristolainen compared to NHL GMs. Every team is in the market for a PP defenceman who can put up 40-plus points. Every team wants to add a big defenceman with a mean streak. Every team wants mobile blueliners who can carry the puck and create offence. Every team needs another right-handed defenceman. Risto is all those things in one package. He can play a lot of minutes in any situation. He’s also just 24 and on a good contract.

Any player capable of putting up nearly a point a game at less than $4 million is a godsend in the cap era. Add in the fact that his analytics consistently have shown a player that improves the numbers of whoever he plays against, and his extraordinary durability and Sam Reinhart is a first-line forward on most teams in the league. He loses points for being a winger, gains them for being 23 with another RFA contract in him.

If the Sabres are going to contend, Mittelstadt needs to vault over the two guys in front of him and become the first-line-centre-on-The-second-line most great teams seem to have. But right now this placing is largely projection. His competitiveness is excellent and his defence surprising. His first-line skills show from time to time. You can see the potential for Dale Hawerchuk, but you can also see Cody Hodgson or Tim Connolly.

Most of you will disagree with this ranking, but we did get a pretty good indication of Jeff Skinner’s value in the summer: would you trade Reinhart or Ristolainen or Mittelstadt for Cliff Pu and a second-rounder? Yes, he has improved his value, but he remains an impending UFA winger with limitations to his game who will command a hefty chunk of your salary cap and who will probably never have as good a season as he is having right now. That’s very much balanced off by the fact he is still only 26 and is among the best goal scorers in the league, which remains hockey’s most sought-after skill.

Tier three

When you look at the pluses and minuses of the rest of the Sabres roster, McCabe quickly emerges as number seven on the list. His strengths and weaknesses are actually pretty similar to Ristolainen’s just on a lesser scale. Reliable, rounded and competitive 2nd pairing defencemen are in demand.

Tier four

Scandella and Bogosian and Sheary and Okposo are the Sabres next-best skaters and are all solid, mid-roster NHLers. But their situations are complicated by things like contract situations and injury histories. Youngsters like Thompson, Ullmark, Pilut and Nylander still haven’t shown enough. So I’m going to have to go with Hutton at number 10. He’s older, but there isn’t a lot of miles there and his production versus salary ratio is excellent.

I say 10 because I would trade him for a pick in the teens or even early 20s and I suspect we will have two of those coming our way in the next two years. (Hopefully they are San Jose’s and St. louis’s). Those are our next best assets.

 

Pure rubbish!

Seriously, it's too bad fewer people will read this because it's buried in a Megathread that will survive nuclear armageddon along with Rob Ray's forehead and cockroaches.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...