Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Rumor out of Houston is that Rockets Owner  Tilman Fertitta  has met with Gary Bettman about the purchase and relocation of the Coyotes to Houston. 

Could that possibly coincide with the Seattle addition since Arizona gets moved to the central then right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Reinhart has net front presence IQ, Ehlers has speed. And in the current NHL, Speed kills, net front presence IQ...……..not so much, depending on the system of course.

Ehlers has the legs, and Winnipeg is built for speed. Check the score sheet and standings, that is a current successful formula. Much more so than nail biters.

Look at the GF / GA ratio...….

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2018/league

One of these things is sustainable, one is not...…….

So Ehlers and Reinhart as microcosm of their teams and the entire NHL. Got it. 

Ehlers had been MIA for the majority of the year and Winnipeg has succeeded largely in spite of him lately, dating back to last playoffs where he was a ghost. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Rumor out of Houston is that Rockets Owner  Tilman Fertitta  has met with Gary Bettman about the purchase and relocation of the Coyotes to Houston. 

I have no reason to doubt your report on the meeting.

I have every reason to doubt that this will happen. What an incredibly stupid idea.  Then again, it is Bettman.

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I have no reason to doubt your report on the meeting.

I have every reason to doubt that this will happen. What an incredibly stupid idea.  Then again, it is Bettman.

It's no dumber than keeping that black hole of a franchise afloat in Arizona any longer.

44 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

It's no dumber than keeping that black hole of a franchise afloat in Arizona any longer.

They'd be moving to a city that didn't properly support a WHA team in its last season that still had Gordie Howe and his kids on it because they'd moved to a better barn with higher ticket prices.

They'd be moving to a city that has suburbs with 40k+ seat high school football stadiums that chased the Eulers out of town.

Just flat out see putting an NHL team there having results very comparable (at best) to those of the Thrashers.

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

They'd be moving to a city that didn't properly support a WHA team in its last season that still had Gordie Howe and his kids on it because they'd moved to a better barn with higher ticket prices.

They'd be moving to a city that has suburbs with 40k+ seat high school football stadiums that chased the Eulers out of town.

Just flat out see putting an NHL team there having results very comparable (at best) to those of the Thrashers.

Counterpoint - Houston is a top 5 television market that is not filled by the NHL and the Phoenix experiment isn't working great. Bettman probably feels that Las Vegas worked so well that any market will work for the NHL as confidence is high right now.

I agree it probably won't work, but I can see the allure.

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Wrong

Within the next 10 years, Houston will have the 3rd largest metropolis population in the U.S., tons of ex-yankees here, natural rival in Dallas, if you don't know the full story on the Eulers you should just not post on it, the owner will have a major interest in the playing facility, the ex-owner of the Rockets was used to keep Edmonton in Edmonton, he never forgave Bettman for it, he's now out of the picture. One thing is true is that you will have to nurture the franchise for awhile until it blooms. 

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Explain.

Basically what Taro said.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

They want a team in Houston because the media market is big. The issue is, Houston is massive and no one there gives a you know what about hockey. 

The same was said about Dallas in the beginning.  It's a good hockey market now.

And the fact that there would be an natural cross-state rivalry with an established team would help a lot.

Eichel is tied 9th at 38 points in 31 games. Mikko Rantenan has 52 points in 31 games. This is also his contract year; he's an RFA at the end of this year. He put up 84 points last year, and is on pace for 120+ this year

What do the Avs end up having to pay him? 11M+?

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Eichel is tied 9th at 38 points in 31 games. Mikko Rantenan has 52 points in 31 games. This is also his contract year; he's an RFA at the end of this year. He put up 84 points last year, and is on pace for 120+ this year

What do the Avs end up having to pay him? 11M+?

Probably 12+ at this point. 

4 hours ago, jsb said:

Wrong

Within the next 10 years, Houston will have the 3rd largest metropolis population in the U.S., tons of ex-yankees here, natural rival in Dallas, if you don't know the full story on the Eulers you should just not post on it, the owner will have a major interest in the playing facility, the ex-owner of the Rockets was used to keep Edmonton in Edmonton, he never forgave Bettman for it, he's now out of the picture. One thing is true is that you will have to nurture the franchise for awhile until it blooms. 

Professor, you and I will never agree on this and have gone around on this issue many times through the years.  (Almost positive you were the one I've debated this with through the years.)  Very up to speed on the whole Bud Adams saga & the Aeros as well, and will agree to disagree.

Looks like the NHL will likely be foolish enough to see which one of us is right in the near future.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They want a team in Houston because the media market is big. The issue is, Houston is massive and no one there gives a you know what about hockey. 

The Irish writer Brendan Behan was once quoted as saying that he felt Los Angeles was "a city with no navel."

I have not spent much time in L.A. But it's Houston that fits that bill for me. It's just so dispersed and diffuse. There's so little there there.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If Florida can have 2 teams, certainly Texas can.  Although the Panthers are struggling to get fans in the arena.