Just now, WildCard said:

So everyone gets a trophy

I think I just exposed myself as a millennial 

Or you clearly define "best".

The best team of the regular season is.

The best team of the playoffs is.

The best man in ThunderDome is...

55 minutes ago, LTS said:

The NFL playoff format rewards the best team with a bye.  This is inherently different than the NHL which does not.  Objectively, all you can say is the team has to play one less game. It doesn't mean their last two aren't harder than another team's three. And it doesn't matter, you either win or you do not. If you do not, you weren't the best. You were successful, but not successful enough.

As for why I am in the conversation? Because this is an open forum and the conversation was on playoff formats. Sorry, if my viewpoint doesn't meet your needs here, but that does not mean I was not supposed to not comment. The playoff formats, to me, are going to be directed largely at maximizing revenue and I have no problem with that.  Because in the end, you have to win the games you are given to win it all.  No excuses.

I don't have a problem with you partaking in the discussion, truly didn't mean to imply that I did. Just don't see the point of adding to a discussion about the merits of various playoff formats with 'doesn't matter, beat who you're scheduled to play.'

And I think it would be cool/good for the NHL to try to get the 2 best teams into the Finals rather than force the teams to each come from a different conference.  And the system I'd proposed allows that to happen.

9 hours ago, shrader said:

But is Tampa's 113 points really any worse than the Jets' 114, or even Nashville's 117?  It goes right back to the imbalanced schedules thing.  Allowing for crossover across conferences like that opens up a huge can of worms.  Do you really want to do that to account for what is going to be a fairly rare scenario.

Ya. I mean, the Jets weren't really the second best team last season. Getting taken to the cleaners by Vegas in 5 games (losing 4 straight in the process) proved that. It's not like Nashville grinded them down more physically that another team would have. Rinne was a sieve that series. And Fleury was not. 

12 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So can we get a playoff ranking idea thread, no offense, but I'm kinda sick of reading about it in this thread I enjoy frequenting. 

If anyone has even been posting anything from “around the NHL,” I’ve missed it because of the playoff format banter. 

Every player, coach and front office person should apologize for putting Oleksiak in this position. Throwing him into a pissed off, motivated thugs vengeance was reckless on all their parts. I don't feel bad for Jamie but the Pens challenged the leagues premier thug and he answered the Bell on Oleksiak's face. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Every player, coach and front office person should apologize for putting Oleksiak in this position. Throwing him into a pissed off, motivated thugs vengeance was reckless on all their parts. I don't feel bad for Jamie but the Pens challenged the leagues premier thug and he answered the Bell on Oleksiak's face. 

Man, what I would give to have Wilson on our team.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, inkman said:

Wilson can continue to F right off, forever. Answer the bell with Ryan Reaves, you punk.*

I do feel badly for the Penguin player.

* I think I know why he won't:

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quick question... who won that game? You know the one where the big tough Wilson intimated the other team by beating them up. I am asking for a friend. 

I mean we both know that's not the end goal of fighting. And Wilson, for all the crap he gets, is an important player to that team. It's not John Scott running around out there

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What is the end goal of fighting? 

There's a few of them. In the short term view of winning the game you're currently playing,  it can be momentum swings. In the long term view of your season, it can bring your team closer together and it can send a message to other teams around the league. 

56 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I mean we both know that's not the end goal of fighting. And Wilson, for all the crap he gets, is an important player to that team. It's not John Scott running around out there

What?

I have no problem with Wilson, or anyone else that fights, so long as it's a fair fight and no fighter has a distinct advantage over the other.  That said, I would prefer a more skilled game, which is what we have now, I think, and very limited fighting.

Wilson in a punk, not because he fights, which he rarely does, so far as I know.  It's all the cheap shots that hurt people.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my typing has not improved overnight, go figure
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What is the end goal of fighting? 

Supposedly it’s an outlet preventing acts of retribution by guys with sticks. 

As far as Oleksiak goes, he chose to fight. Unless someone in management said fight or be cut it’s on him. One lucky punch and it goes the other way.

49 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Supposedly it’s an outlet preventing acts of retribution by guys with sticks. 

As far as Oleksiak goes, he chose to fight. Unless someone in management said fight or be cut it’s on him. One lucky punch and it goes the other way.

Yeah but his organ-eye-zation did him no favors lighting a fire under Wilson's ass with all the ducking chatter. The last thing anyone in the NHL needs is a sociopath supremely motivated to cave an individuals face in. Oleksiak is no choir boy but he was thrown in front of a road grater. Like I said, his teams owes him an apology. If Jamie was the one blabbing then it's on him, to my knowledge it wasn't him rather coaches and teammates. Thanks guys. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

There's a few of them. In the short term view of winning the game you're currently playing,  it can be momentum swings. In the long term view of your season, it can bring your team closer together and it can send a message to other teams around the league. 

Still waiting on evidence that any of this is real.