Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

20 Games for Tom Wilson

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

That's a cut your crap suspension.

Funk yeah.

The game will be better off -- and far more sustainable -- without that sort of play. 

Those kinds of hits are, at best, a spectacular blood sport sub-plot in a game. But they're just not needed.

22 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

Damn maybe the NHL is going to take this seriously now they need to prove it next Tom Marchant does something stupid. Good on player safety. 

What annoys me is that there have been 1000 worse offenses just last season. I guess you gotta start sometime. 

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

What annoys me is that there have been 1000 worse offenses just last season. I guess you gotta start sometime. 

I completely agree, the hit was not as bad when I watched it over and in slow motion it just looked worse than it was. I am good with the 20 games though it was a 10-15 games do to his history. I thought the Domi bull shite was worse and deserved 10 games.  I just hope they keep it up. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Even if I agreed with your assessment of the hit, maybe Wilson shouldn't go getting himself suspended 3 other times within the calendar year? 

Look, I understand the message the NHL is trying to send, and their vision of what hockey should look like... I just don't agree with it.     

Personally, I enjoyed watching hockey much more when it was violent and policed by goons.       

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Look, I understand the message the NHL is trying to send, and their vision of what hockey should look like... I just don't agree with it.     

Personally, I enjoyed watching hockey much more when it was violent and policed by goons.       

I suppose that, in the coming years, a niche off-brand league could arise that features and promotes the rock-em-sock-em style of play.

Or is that just the ECHL?

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

It’s kinda hilarious and a little bold.

Meh. It's gratuitous and has no upside for him or his team. Far better to have kept his yap shut. He may yet receive some pain from someone with a long memory.

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I used to like watching the game like that before understanding the effects of CTE and seeing players killing themselves as a result. Nowadays I can't see a hit like that without thinking "I hope he's not dealing with that for the rest of his life", kinda sucks the fun out of that part.

I like the suspension. The hit alone isn't worth 20 games but it's Wilson's track record and I'm all for that. I never want to see any of our players laid out like that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I used to like watching the game like that before understanding the effects of CTE and seeing players killing themselves as a result. Nowadays I can't see a hit like that without thinking "I hope he's not dealing with that for the rest of his life", kinda sucks the fun out of that part.

I like the suspension. The hit alone isn't worth 20 games but it's Wilson's track record and I'm all for that. I never want to see any of our players laid out like that.

Yup, that's where I'm at. Luckily, unlike some others, I get more than enough enjoyment out of watching high skill to make up for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm honestly surprised at the 20 games. But I think the NHL is going to start trending in the direction of the NFL with respect to trying to protect its talent from needless injury. Body checking has become a bit of a crisis with the increased speed and physicality of the game. Guys are getting harder and faster than ever. It's not sustainable in an era where we are learning so much about head injuries. At some point the scoring talent has to win out over defending at all costs.