NFL 2018-19

Eleven

It is my further opinion that a politics thread would contain such stuff, and that the other threads on the board will be cleaner as a result.

On top of that, I'm simply sick of having my voice squelched here, and I know I'm not alone.  I want to be able to discuss whatever I want with the people on this board.  There's a Rod and Gun Club (not my thing but ok).  There's a cooking thread.  There's a reading thread.  I think there's a beer thread (also not my thing, but ok).  90% of the discussion on this board is about hockey, but 10% isn't, and a lot of those threads are entertaining for a lot of people.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first paragraph above. Good Lord, I'd welcome the thread's return for that reason alone. (I have no interest in political talk on this board, and so would welcome the ability to say "hey - take that stuff to the politics thread.")

On the second paragraph, the reality is that a few (two? one?) select OT subjects are uniquely divisive. I understood the mods' decision to try to manage the issue by eliminating the subject. I just don't think it's a realistic way of trying to manage the issue.

Sure. That works too.

Listen: I have no issue with the desire for political talk on this board. But I also know the rules. And I want my Bills thread re-opened.

This is fine by me.

I stepped foot in the politics thread once, maybe twice, in my entire time on the board. I avoided it like the goddamned plague.

My sense: Those who want to talk politics on this board find value in that thread being open to all comers, even if it's dominated by a handful of devoted posters.

Personally, I have no desire to go back to an open catch-all politics thread like we had before. That thing was a mess and invited trolls. I want to talk Politics again, but not like that. 

A politics thread would probably improve all other threads. People won’t be as tempted to bring anything political into another thread. Common sense really. Bring back the politics thread. If people want to voice their opinion, they can do it there. If someone doesn’t want to hear others opinions on anything political, they can stay away from it. Would be unfortunate to lose members over something like this. I don’t post often, but I do check this site out numerous times a day. If credible posters leave, a number of surfers like myself will also head out. There would be little reason to stay.

Edited by GoPre

Let's be realistic on this.

If politics is injected into a different subject then which thread does it belong in?

Let's say that the same thing that is happening in football happens with the Stanley Cup.  Do we not discuss it?  Do you put that in the politics thread, the Stanley Cup thread, the Around NHL thread, it's own?

I mean.. Eleven has a point in that politics can and usually does get injected into all areas of life.  More relevant is that much of this is less politics and more awareness of our everyday social issues (which inevitably bring politics with it).

I'm not a fan of censoring topics because people can't behave civilly.  I am a fan of banning people who are the problem.  If you can't be a decent human being then go away.

Sure it's a pain to moderate, but being a moderator has its responsibilities. 

And i rarely go into the Bills thread anyway.. because.. football.

I just want more good talk on here.

I am generally indifferent about the Politics thread and/or accompanying discussion within other threads when appropriate. I consider myself mature enough to read and understand multiple opinions on a message board without getting too worked up. Sometimes I skip posts when the topic doesn't interest me - no offense meant. I would prefer that we have the opportunity to discuss whatever current events topics are on hand, but recognize the mod's perspective to attempt to limit/prevent animosity. 

The phenomenon with this board in particular is that I am genuinely interested and invested in what goes on in many of your lives, and as such want to hear about your perspectives on far more than just Hockey. Much of what has kept me coming here even while the Sabres have been utter dog shite of a team is the people, where a melting pot of regions and cultures were brought together as a result of their interest our Buffalo hockey team.

- i'm interested in hearing about Josie and Dark and their struggles to live in two separate towns, the under-appreciation for art and how to make a living for a clearly talented artist. Through them sharing I have evolved my personal view and have gained a new perspective.

- hearing about woody's travels and the bachelor lifestyle he chooses to lead, while also gaining insight that my initial perspective of career success can accompany increased challenges with work/life balance and burnout. This insight has made me re-focus on the areas in my life that I truly want to focus on.

- interactions with my fellow Jays fan in NS has informed me of the Islamic culture and the teachings in the Quran. Through understanding I have been able to challenge the American stereotype of this religion and culture, and I am incredibly grateful for that.

- without this forum when in my life would I ever get to interact with the MODO's of the world, or the posters we have from Europe and the UK? I have gained much from learning there is more out there than just our US-centric views. A common interest in hockey has made this a small world. 

- I appreciate those of you that choose to lead a more private lifestyle as well, as in this age of oversharing it is still possible to maintain relative anonymity while still providing insight. (Eleven, Liger etc.)

- Understanding how those of us that live out of market (Randall's move to OK, Neo & Co in Florida, Bio in CO, Buno in the PNW, our Chicken-headed friend in TX) still have interest in the Sabres and don't lose that, but also develop their own interests and hobbies that through sharing helps me to understand who they are what life is in those regions.

There are plenty more (and I think this post is already ramble-y enough) but all of these diverse perspectives on this forum help me to shape and evolve my own mindset. It helps me shape my own opinion(s), or call myself out when my ideas aren't fully fleshed out or are lacking in understanding. Most of all it has taught me that there are other ideas out there besides the ones in your personal echo-chamber, and that conflicting viewpoints aren't inherently wrong or ill-informed, but can come from a different world view that should be engaged and understood with civility.

Essentially, I will plagiarize our friend Neo - Grateful.

:beer:

"Those who got it shut down, govern yourself". That was the post I was referring too. It was shut down solely because it veered towards a political issue. There was not tactless ppl attacking posters. That isn't governing, that's censoring.

1. You PROMISED you weren't going to read my posts anymore. (At least, it seemed like a promise. :( :p)

2. The subject matter of this thread is the NFL. Topic creep, topic creep, we must always be vigilent for topics creeping into threads to which they don't belong. ;) :p :lol:

3. Really don't care if there's a politics thread on this board or not. Expect there should be one, though probably will avoid it much like the Thursday thread - it tends to be too depressing a read. At least it has been in the past. Most of the people here are adults, and even typically act like they are as well :p , so if people want to be able to have a thread to discuss it, really don't see a reason to not give 'em another crack at it. (Though this kid will likely avoid it for the most part.) Of course, never been enough of a glutton for punishment to become a moderator, so they may have more reasons to keep that topic verboten than a casual observer realizes; get them on board & you could probably convince our Fearless Leader to allow it. EDIT: Reading further in this thread, if reopening the politics / creating a new one will keep quality posters here; am definitely in favor of bringing it back.

4. And, to your point, if people are self regulating what they say, they are governing themselves & displaying (in most likelihood) tact. They are unlikely to be censoring themselves except in a convoluted interpretation of the term, IMHO.

:beer:

Edited by Taro T

Are we seriously doing this again?  There's something far more rampant in everyday life than politics being injected into everything... whining.

No one wants to talk about steel tariffs in the 2018 Draft thread.  But when Ovi decides to visit the Grand Kremlin Palace rather than the White House, or Fleury decides he doesn't want to go, and the president cancels Washington's visit on Penn Ave and has one of his weird tweet storms about it, can we really not comment on and have a laugh at that without threads being locked down?

Edited by Eleven

Is this "commenting and having a laugh" about a WH visit?  Or is it simply using the WH visit as a pretext to vent one's political views?

I'll say it.  The White House is a sty, occupied by a pig.

the current resident of said house is a blatant racist

But yes, there was Russian interference.  There also are a lot of people who get off on hate.  2 x 2 = 4, and he won.

These are strident political opinions that are off-putting to half the country and are far removed from "having a laugh over a weird tweetstorm."

Is this "commenting and having a laugh" about a WH visit?  Or is it simply using the WH visit as a pretext to vent one's political views?

These are strident political opinions that are off-putting to half the country and are far removed from "having a laugh over a weird tweetstorm."

How many complaints did those posts receive from forum members? 

Everything explicitly said in that last post is objective fact, and there is a mountain of evidence to back up the claims in the second quote.

Then I think you're splitting hairs on what nfreeman is talkin' bout.

Perhaps. But still, that post is a rather weak example for his case even with the implications, and exaggerating (half the country) didn't help either. Seemed appropriate to respond in kind.

So we can't talk about the fact that the President of the United States, Donald Trump, literally threw a fit because a predominately black football team didn't want to meet him? We can't mention that in a thread about football? That is my understanding of your, and it is your ban, on all things that are anti Donald Trump. A ban which didn't come into effect until after his election and was never imposed during Obama's presidency even though one could argue that half the country then was off put by some of the former president's policies. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

So we can't talk about the fact that the President of the United States, Donald Trump, literally threw a fit because a predominately black football team didn't want to meet him? We can't mention that in a thread about football? That is my understanding of your, and it is your ban, on all things that are anti Donald Trump. A ban which didn't come into effect until after his election and was never imposed during Obama's presidency even though one could argue that half the country then was off put by some of the former president's policies. 

He didn't close it because of that. He closed it because some posts crossed the line.

It really isn't that hard to figure out.

Oh, and...post-1429-0-43295700-1528312253_thumb.png

No one wants to talk about steel tariffs in the 2018 Draft thread.  But when Ovi decides to visit the Grand Kremlin Palace rather than the White House, or Fleury decides he doesn't want to go, and the president cancels Washington's visit on Penn Ave and has one of his weird tweet storms about it, can we really not comment on and have a laugh at that without threads being locked down?

I have no problem with talking about something that in a thread if it is a part of that topic.  It has gotten beyond annoying though watching people whine about this issue of political conversation in what seems like every single thread.  Whether or not I agree with the decision to shut that stuff down is not important.  That decision was made by SDS (or his proxies) and that's how it is.  People need to accept that and stop whining about it constantly.  No matter how many times people throw around the word censorship or anything that, it will never change the fact that this is not a democracy.  There's only one person who has the ultimate say in how things go.  Everyone else is his guest.

He didn't close it because of that. He closed it because some posts crossed the line.

It really isn't that hard to figure out.

Oh, and...attachicon.gifTrump Eagles.png

:thumbsup: