Downfall of The Buffalo News

IKnowPhysics

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not a single professional in the bunch by the look of things. Any incentive I may have had to subscribe to either outlet is easy offset by the unprofessional activities on social media on bith sides.  Children.

Seriously, they're behaving like they're in the bowels of Reddit. I have no problems subscribing to The Athletic though. Not going to let the behavior of two overshadow the dozen others who are producing excellent work I want to read. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Seriously, they're behaving like they're in the bowels of Reddit. I have no problems subscribing to The Athletic though. Not going to let the behavior of two overshadow the dozen others who are producing excellent work I want to read. 

Trump voter?

Other than stakes, it’s the same thing to me.

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

This campaign has been an unmitigated embarrassment for Graham and now Vogl. FFS.

I have my own strong dislike for Harrington. But what those guys are doing is a terrible look. I can’t imagine their new employer can be pleased. It certainly turns me off.

And now that Harrington has been told by TBN to cut out his social media antics (or at least it sure as hell seems like it), he can't really even defend himself.

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I have no idea what that is all about.

Me either. Unless you use Twitter a lot, it's very hard to understand any of it. Who's talking to who?

Vogl has sack now? He sure never had any when covering the Sabres as Caspar Milquetoast.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2018 at 11:44 AM, IKnowPhysics said:

I do want to say this: I think Harrington's been doing a good job the past couple of weeks.  He's been doing the heavy lifting in the run up to the draft, and the articles he''s turned in are in thoughtful and leveraged with a familiarity of the history of the franchise.  It's not fire and brimstone or burn the house down or here comes the dear lord baby jesus.  It's been well-placed straight talk on coaching, GM workings, Rip's accomplishment, draft history, and goals for the draft beyond Dahlin.

Inside the NHL: Sabres' Botterill should use caution on trading Ryan O'Reilly (6/9)

Housley behind the Sabres' bench: The first year (6/14)

Inside the NHL: Sabres mainstay Simonick to get his Hall call (6/16)

Key to development: Sabres need to find success through NHL Draft, not just at the top (6/17)

Mike Harrington: Anticipation building for Sabres to be atop hockey world at NHL Draft (6/19)

Botterill on O'Reilly: 'The interest in Ryan is not surprising at all' (6/19)

From Booms to Busts: Sabres first-round history (6/20)

Mike Harrington: With critical rebuild ahead, five areas for Sabres to address (6/20)

I can’t read any of these, because their site claims that I have reached my maximum number of free articles for the month. 

The maximum number must be zero, because I haven’t read an article on their site in probably half of a year. 

Seems stupid that they wouldn’t at least let people on there for free to see their advertisements. No wonder everyone is losing their jobs there. 

Imo the pay for site was not a good idea and not well thought out.  The writers were not good enough and the way the product was being presented wouldnt work.  I get they sort have tried to immitate ESPN premium, but there is too much duplication from Rochester, Syracuse, the Bills own website and other NFL media along with twitter on other online free media to be effective.  Part of the reason ESPN is failing as well.  Not sure the answer or how to drive enough advertising dollars to themselves to keep it free.  But is clear the pay for model is a tough one to implement.

On 7/22/2018 at 9:11 AM, Weave said:

Trump voter?

Other than stakes, it’s the same thing to me.

Needless to say, I strongly disagree. Not only in stakes, but in comparability. Do you still have the same views on gun ownership despite how some gun advocates have behaved in public? I certainly wouldn't expect you to. Supporting an organization of over 100 people despite a couple of bad apples isn't nearly the same thing as supporting an individual despite that individual's personal behavior. 

Two writers being jerks on Twitter isn't a good reason to pull support from over 100 others who have zilch to do with them. Moreover, given how lackluster I think most sports reporting is, I find supporting quality reporting to be of value--I want other news organizations to see that quality content is rewarded with paying customers. 

If I could choose to support only select writers, I would happily exclude Vogl and Graham from receiving any of my subscription money. But that's not how it works, and given the state of sports journalism writ large, I think pulling support entirely would be tantamount to cutting the nose to spite the face. 

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

To answer your question, no.

I guess we have different expectations regarding organizations that don’t demand professionalism from their members.

Not at all. I just don't think that's the only consideration when deciding to support an organization. I explained my other reasons above. 

Edit: FWIW, my analysis would be different if it was a higher up, such as Mirtle, behaving this way. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

• 1 month later...

Travis Yost, who writes about hockey analytics for TSN and occasionally has a radio segment  on WGR with Schopp and The Bulldog is going to write pieces for the Buffalo News regarding Sabres Analytics. 

Here is his first article 

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/11/buffalo-sabres-travis-yost-jeff-skinner-jack-eichel/

It interesting to see the effect that The Athletic has had TBN’s Content in a few short months. 

Yost is also a Bills Fan. 

51 minutes ago, ubkev said:

People pay $650 a year for a newspaper? Wowza!

Newsstand price.  I think the subscription price is probably lower.  I know it was when I carried it, but that was a lifetime ago. 

I wonder when we're going to see a The Athletic for local news.  It really should be only a matter of time.

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Travis Yost, who writes about hockey analytics for TSN and occasionally has a radio segment  on WGR with Schopp and The Bulldog is going to write pieces for the Buffalo News regarding Sabres Analytics. 

Here is his first article 

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/11/buffalo-sabres-travis-yost-jeff-skinner-jack-eichel/

It interesting to see the effect that The Athletic has had TBN’s Content in a few short months. 

Yost is also a Bills Fan. 

So are they just re-printing stuff done for TSN (AP-style) or will they actually be original pieces?

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Newsstand price.  I think the subscription price is probably lower.  I know it was when I carried it, but that was a lifetime ago. 

I wonder when we're going to see a The Athletic for local news.  It really should be only a matter of time.

I hope they come up with a better name.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

People pay $650 a year for a newspaper? Wowza!

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Looks like a year subscription is like 20 bucks a month

I enjoy The Athletic's articles much more than newspaper articles. It seems as though they aren't forced to sensationalize and write on a 3rd grade level so everybody can understand it. The articles in The Athletic offer much more substance without having to sensationalize and embellish the point. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.