Downfall of The Buffalo News

IKnowPhysics

Here's another nugget from Tim Graham on twitter today:

Hi, @ByMHarrington. I heard an audio recording of your tirade about me today in front of all the reporters in the Sabres media room. You shook down my coworkers to “Reign him in! Reign him in!” And then shouted for me to show my face. I’ll be there tomorrow. Chat then.

12:59 PM - 13 Sep 2018

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Seriously. If I had a say, I wouldn't employ either of them. Not an ounce of professionalism between them. 

I agree,

There was a time when I dreamed of being a sportswriter: Went to college for it, pursued it and it is a very tough profession to crack. Having said that, when you see Harrington and Graham and how they act, they and so many others appear to be so bitter about so many topics.

No longer do I dream to be a part of a profession that employs so many angry, negative and rage filled people. I will pass.

I will never, ever read a single word Mike Harrington writes. Dude is a complete and utter tool.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's an interesting point.  If TG and MH actually come to blows after a lengthy and public twitter beef, there is a real possibility that at least one of their respective employers will be embarrassed/disgusted by the whole thing and cut them loose.

If I had to put money on one, it would be the Athletic. He's the editor for the area. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already talked to him about it. Its one thing when its a local rag, but they're a national publication with a fair amount of clout for being so new, if it were me I wouldn't suffer that kind of crap from one of my workers.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:
Jeff Neiburg the New TBN Sabres Beat Reporter resigned due to a medical issue 

Eesh. That's no good. Best of luck to this fella.

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Aud needs better aim with poxes.

How so?

(Also, please: Smell.)

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I'm not seeing where Harrington is a participant in this latest fight with Graham.  Graham's the only one tweeting about it.

Graham said in his Tweet that there's an audio recording of Harrington very recently "shaking down" (weird word to use) local Athletic writers at a press conference about Graham.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

He does kinda spray them around, innit?

pipe down, you.

Edited by That Aud Smell

• 2 weeks later...

I know I’m way late on this one but to add context to the Graham tweet about MH people who were there said Harrington was losing his mind. He was SCREAMING at other athletic writers and friends of Graham. Telling them they needed to get him under control. It wasn’t just some weird recording of some backdoor conversations.

The meeting that followed was a disappointing bickering match that ended quickly.

39 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I know I’m way late on this one but to add context to the Graham tweet about MH people who were there said Harrington was losing his mind. He was SCREAMING at other athletic writers and friends of Graham. Telling them they needed to get him under control. It wasn’t just some weird recording of some backdoor conversations.

The meeting that followed was a disappointing bickering match that ended quickly.

That’s about what was related in some of the replies to Graham’s Tweet: That Harrington was apoplectic. They are both Class A dipsh1ts for carrying on this way.

Graham long ago earned a reasons-for-his-ESPN-separation-outing based on his smug, arrogant Twitter persona. Maybe it’ll happen yet.

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Bill Hoppe has started to write some articles for the News, he will write about Sabres Prospects, The Amerks and other Sabres Related Topics. 

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/26/buffalo-sabres-zach-redmond-rochester-amerks-contract/

Excellent news, for readers.

Unfortunately for him, Hoppe’s coming in at a time when TBN is looking to take on freelancers and pay them squat (plus no benefits!).

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Excellent news, for readers.

Unfortunately for him, Hoppe’s coming in at a time when TBN is looking to take on freelancers and pay them squat (plus no benefits!).

It would essentially be a side gig for him, right?  It doesn't necessarily count as something I'd call unforunate.

21 minutes ago, shrader said:

It would essentially be a side gig for him, right?  It doesn't necessarily count as something I'd call unforunate.

The proverbial "side hustle," sure. But make no mistake: TBN is enacting massive cost cuts by hiring people on as independent contractors. It's unfortunate that a quality writer like Hoppe can't just be hired as an employee by a (formerly) major (mid-major) media outlet and be paid an adequate salary by that single employer. Instead, he's got to patch it together. I think that's an unfortunate turn of events for writers, generally, whether journalists or otherwise.

Side note on side hustles: I chuckle to myself when I hear fellow Gen Xers talk about how millennials are lazy -- so many of those young 'uns work multiple professional jobs in order to make a life. That was not generally the case for my X peers when I was the age that millennials are now. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.