Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

What if's don't matter, we should only base anything on certainty.  He didn't move him so we're good.  Montreal.

Report: Habs nearly dealt Pacioretty, landed O'Reilly in 3-team blockbuster at draft
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1562941

Wow

If the Blues trade for O’Reilly its to complement Schwartz, not to replace him.

Perfectly said.  We're looking at Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn and parts in that type of a move. 

Pittsburgh needs to Trade one of Connor Sheary, Matt Hunwick, Carl Hagelin or Derek Brassard. Per Josh Yohe they would rather move one of the first two.

They do not feel Hunwick’s Salary justifies his role as a 6th Defenseman and are looking for a cheaper option to fill the role.

Pittsburgh needs to Trade one of Connor Sheary, Matt Hunwick, Carl Hagelin or Derek Brassard. Per Josh Yohe they would rather move one of the first two.

They do not feel Hunwick’s Salary justifies his role as a 6th Defenseman and are looking for a cheaper option to fill the role.

100% give me Sheary. Little to no interest in Hunwick though.

17. There looks to be a pre-July 1 price and post-July 1 price on Ryan O’Reilly. He is due a $7.5 million bonus, and that’s affecting what the Sabres can get. If Buffalo pays, it probably makes sense to keep him, except that the offers may improve. St. Louis was circling, and it’s possible that morphs into something bigger. The Blues might want Vladimir Sobotka to be part of the package, too. I could see the Sharks being a possibility if they don’t get Tavares.

Also from Friedman

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-eyes-john-tavares-ufa-interview-period/

What the hell is Friedman smoking this time? I highly doubt the deciding factor for Buffalo in whether to keep ROR should or would be the payment of his bonus. Get out of here, Elliot. 

Apparently Statsny is a pretty hot commodity right now. Makes sense for teams that are out on Tavares and don't wanna pay for O'Reilly

Montreal is one of the teams to reportedly offer him something

https://twitter.com/GinoRedaTSN/status/1011381818887634944

This guy is going to get brutally overpaid. I hope Winnipeg signs him. 

We're in for such a longer rebuild of Botterill was about to make that trade. I have a strong feeling he's looking at Dahlin and his 2nd year here as the start to the rebuild, while the rest of us were really hoping this was the end of it

It would be mightily disheartening to learn that Botterill was viewing the coming season as basically another write-off. The thought of Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen suffering through yet another losing, miserable season, this time with Mittelstadt and Dahlin along for the ride, getting booed off the ice at intermissions by the disappointed fans who had clearly had enough LAST season, is a thought I don't like to ponder. 

This cannot be the case. It's time to start winning hockey games. 

Edited by Thorny

The thought of Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen suffering through yet another losing, miserable season, this time with Mittelstadt and Dahlin along for the ride,

Just reading these names- if this core can't start winning, especially without an enormous liability named Lehner in net, we're really in trouble.

This year should be our best season in a while

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/what-do-about-ryan-oreilly

This article proved to me that we shouldn't even consider trading ROR this season and maybe not next year either.  Simon talks about having to pay Skinner or Patches $7 mill per season after next season if they are acquired.  Why in G-D's green Earth would I want to have a $7 mill  50 pt winger when I have a 60 point 2 way center, who is the best FO guy in the league, who can also play wing, nearly same age, for $7.5? He talks about not wanting a 3rd line center for $7.5 per season when Mittelstadt is ready to be No. 2 behind Jack.  My response to that is move ROR to wing, have him play 3rd line center because we'd have the best 1-2-3 punch down the middle in the NHL or trade him then.  I'm sorry, but trading to get Skinner or Pacioretty is a huge step in the wrong direction.  Try again Simon. 

I just think it's interesting that we were "apparently" close to a deal where draft picks were the return... So either Jbot was high on on of the player's available and thought they could contribute immediately; or he thinks we are that far out of contention that were still after futures; or he thinks O'Reilly is part of the problem

I just think it's interesting that we were "apparently" close to a deal where draft picks were the return... So either Jbot was high on on of the player's available and thought they could contribute immediately; or he thinks we are that far out of contention that were still after futures; or he thinks O'Reilly is part of the problem

My impression was that a deal was only being considered by JBot if it included #3oa+

That doesn't indicate to me that he's trying to move him. It indicates he's asking a price that shows how much he values him. Perhaps he values him more than other GM's- and I'm fine with that

My impression was that a deal was only being considered by JBot if it included #3oa+

That doesn't indicate to me that he's trying to move him. It indicates he's asking a price that shows how much he values him. Perhaps he values him more than other GM's- and I'm fine with that

Agree and if it was for 3 and 11 I’d consider it, but doubt Montreal would give up that much for ROR. What Montreal did in the end was a bit head scratching, but it depends on what they were getting from the isle along with 11.

everything I've seen/read said the best pick they were going to get was one of the Islanders firsts (11th or 12th) and not Montreals 1st. The Sabres were getting picks and maybe prospects back. The deal only fell through because of the players that dropped to the Islanders and they were the ones who canceled the deal.

People are going to be really disappointed in what the return will be for ROR in a trade, they wont be getting what everyone is hoping for (similar to the Kane deal).

And I dont think the Sabres are actively shopping him or want to move him. Teams are interested in him and the Sabres will love him for the right price as they will almost all of their players right now.

everything I've seen/read said the best pick they were going to get was one of the Islanders firsts (11th or 12th) and not Montreals 1st. The Sabres were getting picks and maybe prospects back. The deal only fell through because of the players that dropped to the Islanders and they were the ones who canceled the deal.

People are going to be really disappointed in what the return will be for ROR in a trade, they wont be getting what everyone is hoping for (similar to the Kane deal).

And I dont think the Sabres are actively shopping him or want to move him. Teams are interested in him and the Sabres will love him for the right price as they will almost all of their players right now.

Do you think the ROR deal will be similar to the Kane deal OR that the ROR we will be disappointed in the trade deal?

I would think ROR's value goes up significantly once Sabres pay the $7.5M bonus.

A team, essentially gets ROR for 5 years and $25M cash, with cap hit of $7.5M/season --- with cap at $80M, that is very doable

I'd like Sabres to keep ROR for another year to allow Casey to develop playing 3rd line minutes and allows our other centers to get better at FO's --- we reassess next off season where post-July 1, the numbers again get even better

There's also the issue that by no means is it guaranteed that Casey will ever even score as much as ROR, much less play the two way hockey with any competency. 

I'm pretty high on the kid but he still has a long way to go to be an NHL 2C, which makes me more wary of giving up our NHL 2C that is actually statistically a 1C because we finally have awesome center depth. 

I think people will be disappointed in the return that the Sabres take for ROR if he is moved. It's not going to be what everyone wants or thinks they should get, like what happened with the Kane deal to SJ last season

Dealing ROR is an absolute position of strength. Good player, term left, demand high, no perceived off ice issues. Kane was the opposite of all of those. I'm not expecting Anze Kopitar in return but it better be good, proven young players coming back. Not some stupid draft picks.

Paul Hamilton again displaying something about his hockey knowledge: "It's MIND BOGGLING that the Sabres could have received the 11th pick overall in the draft. I didn't think it was possible they could get any pick in the 1st round for him."

It's so hard to listen to WGR when they have him on as an authoritative voice

Paul Hamilton again displaying something about his hockey knowledge: "It's MIND BOGGLING that the Sabres could have received the 11th pick overall in the draft. I didn't think it was possible they could get any pick in the 1st round for him."

Or he knows something about O'Reilly's reputation that we don't. 

Paul Hamilton again displaying something about his hockey knowledge: "It's MIND BOGGLING that the Sabres could have received the 11th pick overall in the draft. I didn't think it was possible they could get any pick in the 1st round for him."

Huh? What about ROR screams he's not worth that kind of return? Everything about him says he's worth that and more.

Or he knows something about O'Reilly's reputation that we don't. 

Since that trade was on the table, though, something about what he knows is from outer space, apparently. 

And he's clear about "what he knows" - ROR hates Jack and Jack doesn't return the favor. The proof supplied is as follows: 

*fart noise*

Hamilton certainly has been critical of ROR at times but frankly I think fans, and I'm one who wants to keep ROR, have him overrated in what his trade value really is. I feel he's very well apt to be more important on our team than what he's going to fetch in a trade.

Edited by Radar

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.