Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Friedman on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960, on likely destinations for Ryan O’Reilly, including San Jose:

“It makes a lot of sense, right,” noted Friedman. “Like what if they don’t get a Tavares.

“Montreal has been the team that has been mostly linked to him. He doesn’t have no-trade protection, but I don’t know that that’s a preferred destination for him. I just don’t know.

“Teams like Arizona need a center. The toughest thing with O’Reilly is he’s due a $7.5 million bonus on July 1. First of all, why would you acquire him now. Or if you’re acquiring him now, are you saying to Buffalo, ‘Look, if you want us to pay that money, you’re not getting much in return.’ So I think that adds a complexity.

“Somebody told me Buffalo told their guys, ‘Be prepared to draft for a second first-rounder in case we get one for O’Reilly.’

“I just think it’s a much more complicated deal before that bonus is done July 1.”

Per Friedman

Would you trade a 33 goal scorer and Pominville for a late first 2 years from now?

????

????

Your proposed trade appears to be that, in exchange for a 1st that is likely late in 2020, Minnesota gives up a 33 goal scorer and a "cap dump" that's only 1 year and 4 million dollars. And a 3rd. 

Why would they do that?

If we had a 33 goal scoring winger, would you trade him and Pominville (and a 3rd) to get a late 1st rounder probably 2 years from now?

Edit: I'm misremembering the details of the conditions of the first. A late first this year, rather?

Edited by Randall Flagg

Senstors shopping G Anderson according to Ottawa reporter:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1010170345867837440?s=21

We can add another Senator to the list. #Sens are working with agent Justin Duberman to try and find a potential new home for G Craig Anderson. Nothing imminent. He has two years left at $4.75M and, oddly, has been statistically excellent every other season for last number of yrs.

I'm hoping Botts stands tall, unless MTL offers the 3rd overall he doesn't go there.

In the event we got 3rd overall, what would you want to do with it?

Based on the whole thing regarding 3rd through 7th is supposed to be rather even, I might be willing to trade down 2 or 3 spots and try to add a 2nd or 3rd to our draft assets.

I'd rather keep O'Reilly than draft 3rd but if Botterill gets his asking price I suspect he drafts Tkachuk to pair with Mittelstadt on the second line.

I have had a feeling for some time that JBott covets Brady Tkachuk and he would trade O'Reilly to get him.

Put me in the camp of those who think it would be a mistake to trade O'Reilly.

Same here.

adding Lehner could not possibly devalue ROR. He is not signed to a contract, it would only be his rights as a RFA. It would keep ROR's value the same or increase it.

Have you ever had to sit close to someone really smelly, and for the rest of the day you get this faint nauseating odor coming from your clothes?

The hype machine is already on 11.

Good odds that nothing happens and everyone just picks their players.

Much ado about nothing.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'd rather not trade any of Eichel, Dahlin, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Scandella, Ristolainen, or Mittelstadt (pbuh). I'd be open to move ancillary pieces but I'd rather keep the guys I listed and try to fill the other gaps in the roster with smaller moves.

Dreger - As of last night, a trade involving O'Reilly doesn't sound too close. #Sabres

This is exactly what my thoughts are...lots of chatter but I don’t think botts really wants to give up ROR...it would have to be a ton and ROR to the rest of the league isn’t worth giving up the farm....I think we see zero trades today for buffalo

I would be completely fine heading into the next season with no major trades of skaters, provided:

-A good goalie has been added 

-Depth is truly bolstered through small trades and signings, so that there is zero dead weight and proper shelter of the young guys expecting to play

-One medium-tier UFA signing

And immediate evidence that Phil's usage isn't garbage once the season starts, when the excuse of a weak roster is taken away. 

That being said, I'm still fine with core shakeups. I would first look at Ristolainen. 

This is exactly what my thoughts are...lots of chatter but I don’t think botts really wants to give up ROR...it would have to be a ton and ROR to the rest of the league isn’t worth giving up the farm....I think we see zero trades today for buffalo

Which would be perfectly fine.  If Montreal doesn't give what Botts wants then hold on.  After July 1 and Tavares decision I could see another market open up.  If Botts doesn't get what he wants there then please keep him.

Alright by me. Don't really want any of our top guys traded unless it's a deal that improves us now. Let's get through the draft and see where things are after July first. Try to find another goalie and dump some our lesser guys.

Do we think Anderson could be a quality starter?  If so, Moulson (Ottawa needs cap floor help) and #32?

They're not suggesting 7 overall for Reinhart straight up, are they? There'd need to be another piece coming back, right? 

There had better be a player coming back and not a draft pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.