Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

I would do that trade. I thought Galchenyuk was the best player on the ice for Montreal when he was here in Vegas. O’Reilly seems like he lost interest in hockey playing with Buffalo.

By posting the second highest point total of his career? I'm stunned that people are reading massive things into some quotes from locker cleanout and ignoring his play on the ice.

I officially propose the "stats are for losers" meme be remade into "quotes are for losers."

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Or he really is a locker room cancer.

I don't think a competent GM can decide that with two of the highest rated prospects outside of the NHL ready to step in the lineup and one of the best young ones already here.

For what it's worth I really want them to keep ROR. Unless there are things going on behind closed doors in which I say get the best return that will help us today.

He may not be the leader the team needs him to be but I can't wrap my head around ROR being a cancer.  

Edited by 7+6=13

Nobody is going to give Lehner his qualifying offer and I’m sure Lehner’s camp is well aware of that.

Therefore there’s no reason to think that he would automatically reject a lesser offer, should someone acquire him in a trade.

So, not likely, but not unthinkable, to a team like the Flyers Flames or Hurricanes who need someone to challenge their questionable incumbent.

He’s got at least one more NHL shot coming.

Edited by dudacek

From the Trade Bait List

The belief is the Vancouver Canucks offered the No. 7 overall pick in discussions for Carolina defenceman Noah Hanifin (12). Once you get past No. 6 in this year’s draft, the common refrain is many teams will be willing to trade down. That usually means few teams will be willing to pay a premium to move up that high. Either way, it’s believed Don Waddell and the Hurricanes would prefer to move Justin Faulk (11) before Hanifin. But Waddell isn’t afraid to shake things up.

- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (8) is believed to be sitting on a $66 million offer from the Coyotes, according to colleague Bob McKenzie. He can come off the Trade Bait board with a stroke of the pen, but he can also rocket up the list at a moment’s notice. The Coyotes are also willing to move Max Domi (19) but teams may not be willing to pay the premium GM John Chayka is asking.

- Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said recently the speculation about Phil Kessel (9) on the move has been “blown out of proportion.” That also doesn’t mean that Kessel is untouchable, as Rutherford tries to gear up Pittsburgh for another run.

- Montreal still may not be over the trade that sent P.K. Subban to Nashville two years ago, but there is lots of chatter that Subban might be on the move again. The Preds will need to commit significant dollars to Roman Josi and Ryan Ellis in each of these next two summers, plus Kevin Fiala this summer. The hot rumour has been some kind of deal that involves sending Karlsson to Nashville for Subban. Right now, Subban is owed $36 million, which is a small percentage of what Karlsson will ultimately receive.

- Teams are calling the Calgary Flames about Dougie Hamilton (14). Brad Treliving isn’t interested in trading Hamilton, but it’s probably fair to say Calgary is curious about a market value assessment.

- Having previously requested a trade, Jacob Trouba (15) is no stranger to the list. He is a restricted free agent again now. The Jets are one of the few NHL teams overloaded on the right side. Another right-shooting defenceman, Tyler Myers, is also due to be paid in a year. The key question is: Can everyone get along in the sandbox, with one player biting the bullet to move to the left side? A referendum on that is fast approaching.

I believe with the 7 OA Pick you are picking a player close to ROR in terms of talent. Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Tkatchuk or maybe even Hughes. A deal with Vancouver might be enticing.

More from LeBrun in The Athletic

SABRES LISTENING

Ryan O’Reilly is more than happy to return to Buffalo and the Sabres have no problem keeping him, but I still think he’s the most likely core player that gets dealt by GM Jason Botterill.

The Sabres were 31st this season and they need change, something I think Botterill wants to bring. The reality is that O’Reilly could bring a handsome return, and teams certainly have been calling. Montreal is indeed among those clubs with interest. No surprise there.

The Sabres would want a younger NHL player or two in return, I believe, the idea being to re-tool around the similar age range around Jack Eichel, Casey Mittelstadt and soon-to-be drafted Rasmus Dahlin.

Affecting the O’Reilly trade market to some degree is the future of John Tavares. Once the pending UFA franchise centre either decides who he’s signing with or his camp identifies a short list, the market will open for the field for the teams left off to then focus on pending UFA Paul Stastny or a trade for O’Reilly.

The player I don’t think Buffalo wants to move but continues to solicit interest from teams over the past few weeks is defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen. And why wouldn’t he generate interest as a right-handed, top-four guy who’s only 23 years old? And his contract has four more years at a $5.4 million cap hit, which is reasonable for a player of his stature. Which is why the Sabres aren’t terribly interested in moving him, and yet if the calls continue to roll in, who knows if a team makes the kind of offer they just can’t refuse. Again, the Sabres must be in listen mode right now as they try to change things in Buffalo.

Doug Armstrong in an interview with NHL.com mentioned he is looking for a center.

Kyrou? Vince Dunn?

Also LeBrun mentioned the price for Skinner is a First Round Pick and a prospect. No thanks

JBOT does love him some NCAA players.

With each passing day, I get more and more nervous about the team potentially trading ROR. Not for any rational reason. Just because.

Me too.  When the season ended I was ready to make some big changes and ROR is about the biggest tradable asset they have.  But now that time has passed and the dust has settled, it would be a huge loss moving him.  It had been years since we have had this centre depth. 

All I've heard is Noah Hanifan has been rather disappointing thus far in his career no?

Sending ROR and risto to Carolina for Hanifan and their #1 pick?

We may have to add, but maybe not

That could make sense, as we could pick a winger up in the draft and Carolina gets their center and risto to replace Hanifan.

No?

So you're ok with having the right side of our defense consist of Zach Bogosian, Casey Nelson, and a rookie playing on his off hand?

Might as well start the lose for Hughes chants now.

So you're ok with having the right side of our defense consist of Zach Bogosian, Casey Nelson, and a rookie playing on his off hand?

Might as well start the lose for Hughes chants now.

I am thinking the big piece in that deal is zadina/Russian guy... We could always find another D in free agency.

I want changes, I contrary to belief don't think we're that close.... We finished dead last 2 of the last few seasons, that's with eichel!

I want real hockey trades, not hopes that our 2 draft picks will get us from 31st to 25th.

Change this thing up, something is wrong with the team setup/chemistry/etc.

Hanifin is exactly the wrong type of guy to trade ROR for. He looks pretty skilled and should have a very good career, but every time he's been pulled out of shelter it has gone horribly so far. I'm sure he'll catch on, but I'm not trading ROR for somebody who hasn't yet. 

If Hanifin comes with Aho then I'm in. 

Hanifin is exactly the wrong type of guy to trade ROR for. He looks pretty skilled and should have a very good career, but every time he's been pulled out of shelter it has gone horribly so far. I'm sure he'll catch on, but I'm not trading ROR for somebody who hasn't yet.

My issue with Hanifin is he's a sieve defensively. He just bleeds goals and scoring chances against, even though his even strength offense is good. I don't think we could afford to have him and Risto and be okay.

I am thinking the big piece in that deal is zadina/Russian guy... We could always find another D in free agency.

I want changes, I contrary to belief don't think we're that close.... We finished dead last 2 of the last few seasons, that's with eichel!

I want real hockey trades, not hopes that our 2 draft picks will get us from 31st to 25th.

Change this thing up, something is wrong with the team setup/chemistry/etc.

I don't want to sell off guys for draft picks either (except for the guys I have no interest in keeping, but those guys have little to no trade value anyway). This team needs to build on what it has, not tear it down further.

O'Reilly and Ristolainen are carrying the heavy load for this team defensively, while still managing to produce offensively. Moving them out would only cause the other few bright spots on this roster (Eichel, Reinhart, and soon to be rookies Dahlin and Mittelstadt) to have to shoulder that load which will likely impede their offensive production. Either that or we'll have to throw even more responsibilities on guys like Larsson who has pretty much shown to be in over his head already. That guy can't score playing against nobodies, he's certainly not going to do it going up against Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, or Bergeron. Eichel and Dahlin may be able to handle it, but I'd rather let them focus on scoring and have the work horses continue to do the heavy lifting.

I don't want to sell off guys for draft picks either (except for the guys I have no interest in keeping, but those guys have little to no trade value anyway). This team needs to build on what it has, not tear it down further.

O'Reilly and Ristolainen are carrying the heavy load for this team defensively, while still managing to produce offensively. Moving them out would only cause the other few bright spots on this roster (Eichel, Reinhart, and soon to be rookies Dahlin and Mittelstadt) to have to shoulder that load which will likely impede their offensive production. Either that or we'll have to throw even more responsibilities on guys like Larsson who has pretty much shown to be in over his head already. That guy can't score playing against nobodies, he's certainly not going to do it going up against Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, or Bergeron. Eichel and Dahlin may be able to handle it, but I'd rather let them focus on scoring and have the work horses continue to do the heavy lifting.

Amen and amen.

Before trading O'Reilly or Ristolainen, the team really needs to consider how those roles are going to be filled.

And I don't want any more stinking draft picks or prospects.

Amen and amen.

Before trading O'Reilly or Ristolainen, the team really needs to consider how those roles are going to be filled.

And I don't want any more stinking draft picks or prospects.

Defensively responsible players that still produce offensively are difficult to replace. This board would melt down if Eichel got stuck with O'Reilly's match ups and we end up paying him $10 million to score 50-60 points per season. I think that's exactly what would happen though. At least until we ran him out of town.

Edited by Alkoholist

Absolutely, but they view Aho only slightly less than we view Eichel, and deservedly so, quite frankly. He's in that Marner tier of stars, just a hair behind Eich/Matthews. 

They constantly talk of him around here as the only untouchable guy on the team.  All I know is that at some point, he needs to be on the same team as his long-lost swedish twin brother from another mother.  Seriously, what would you put on the name plate of those two jerseys?

They constantly talk of him around here as the only untouchable guy on the team. All I know is that at some point, he needs to be on the same team as his long-lost swedish twin brother from another mother. Seriously, what would you put on the name plate of those two jerseys?

Little flags next to “Aho” would be awesome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.