Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

This is precisely the type of trade I'm looking for.  

Note that Virtanen is a bad player, Olli Juolevi had a dreadful post-draft season and isn't looked upon nearly as highly as when he was drafted, and 7OA is around where we got noted stud Nylander. 

ROR needs to return more certainty than that.

Note that Virtanen is a bad player, Olli Juolevi had a dreadful post-draft season and isn't looked upon nearly as highly as when he was drafted, and 7OA is around where we got noted stud Nylander. 

Im gonna come down hard on 1 specific part of this. We got Nylander at 8th, so yea you are right but you are trying to say "HEY LOOK! We are going to get a Nylander prospect at #7 so the pick isn't worth a lot" and it is just utter . If you compared all the players taken from 7-9th overall in the last 10 years, most of them are quality players. Ristolainen, Mittelstadt etc... In the draft year you want to bring up, Clayton Keller and Mikhail Sergachev went 7 and 9. Not to mention we have a completely new scouting department and GM. It is just a lazy refute. 

As to the other parts, Juolevi and Virtanen are wild cars for sure. The issue is if a team gives up a high end pick (top 10)  it makes it harder to get back 100% sure fire prospect. At least with the two I mentioned they could be good and might just need a little more development time... like Alex Nylander. Or they could bust. You are always running a risk when trading a sure thing like ROR. It is a reason I am hesitant to trade him at all. 

That squares with my recollection. But now we have Hamilton reporting that 15 and 90 legitimately do not get along. A somethingburger?

Hamilton very much qualified that statement.

He said he hasnt heard anything to back it up and has never seen evidence of it himself.

It was nothing more than “I’ve heard they don’t get along”

Edited by dudacek

Im gonna come down hard on 1 specific part of this. We got Nylander at 8th, so yea you are right but you are trying to say "HEY LOOK! We are going to get a Nylander prospect at #7 so the pick isn't worth a lot" and it is just utter ######. If you compared all the players taken from 7-9th overall in the last 10 years, most of them are quality players. Ristolainen, Mittelstadt etc... In the draft year you want to bring up, Clayton Keller and Mikhail Sergachev went 7 and 9. Not to mention we have a completely new scouting department and GM. It is just a lazy refute. 

As to the other parts, Juolevi and Virtanen are wild cars for sure. The issue is if a team gives up a high end pick (top 10)  it makes it harder to get back 100% sure fire prospect. At least with the two I mentioned they could be good and might just need a little more development time... like Alex Nylander. Or they could bust. You are always running a risk when trading a sure thing like ROR. It is a reason I am hesitant to trade him at all. 

My point was not utter ######. My point is that you can take what you think is an awesome player and have it blow up in your face. As you appear to have ignored my conclusion, that we need certainty in a ROR trade, I can see how you totally misconstrued that as saying that I guarantee we'd get a crappy player there. Not. 

If you take any post I've ever made about an ROR trade, the obvious theme is that we need already-good NHL players to come back. If you bring that context thoughtfully and calmly and read what I said there, you emphatically will not come away screaming about how lazy and bad of a take that is.

Edited by Randall Flagg

That said, I think Botterill has made a conscious decision to hand Jack the reins of this team and my have decided trading ROR is a part of that. I hope it doesn’t result in him taking the best offer if that best offer is not commensurate with O’Reilly’s value.

My point was not utter ######. My point is that you can take what you think is an awesome player and have it blow up in your face. As you appear to have ignored my conclusion, that we need certainty in a ROR trade, I can see how you totally misconstrued that as saying that I guarantee we'd get a crappy player there. Not. 

If you take any post I've ever made about an ROR trade, the obvious theme is that we need already-good NHL players to come back. If you bring that context thoughtfully and calmly and read what I said there, you emphatically will not come away screaming about how lazy and bad of a take that is.

Then why bring up Nylander at all? You will not be able to trade ROR for good playerS. You can do a swap and get a good player back but getting multiple pieces means trading a known asset for unknown assets. Another reason I am not keen to trade ROR. If traded, a team needs to either overpay to make the risk for Buffalo worth it, or trade a guy  that is roughly equivalent to ROR.

Also did you really just end a sentence and then type NOT after it? What is this 2001? 

Edited by Skurk Liger

I doubt that Botterill would trade ROR for the sake of trading him. Darren Dreger mentioned there are concerns with him and Paul Hamilton on WGR yesterday mentioned that his “I need to play better and be a better leader act” is wearing thin in the room.

He also mentioned Sabres Staff Members have told him that Jack and ROR do not get along.

Hamilton also spoke about that his agent orchestrated a trade out of Colorado and they maybe trying to do the same out of Buffalo. The one constant PHam has subscribed to is that ROR has two full days to think about what he was going to say at Locker Clean Out and he mentioned his lost love for the game.

Winning is probably the medicine to fix this mess.

I do not want the Sabres to trade him, but if Botterill and Housley feel he is a problem in the room and for the team it may be inevitable.

That squares with my recollection. But now we have Hamilton reporting that 15 and 90 legitimately do not get along. A somethingburger?

He said he’s heard anything to back it up and has never seen evidence of it himself.

Agree with duda and I too want to put the brakes on here. 

I heard the interview.  Hammy did NOT say that ROR and Eichel don't get along.

He said a couple of times that he was just speculating, that it could be possible that they don't get along and that Hammy's guess, if it is true, is that it would be more coming from Eichel than coming from ROR.

He also mentioned Sabres Staff Members have told him that Jack and ROR do not get along.

I heard the interview.  Hammy did NOT say that ROR and Eichel don't get along.

He said a couple of times that he was just speculating, that it could be possible that they don't get along and that Hammy's guess, if it is true, is that it would be more coming from Eichel than coming from ROR.

I haven't heard the interview. I was going off what Brawndo posted (above). A reporter saying that multiple sources have told him that two players don't get along is, or would be, significant.

He said he hasnt heard anything to back it up and has never seen evidence of it himself.

Just how important is it that teammates get along? It's nice if they do for sure but I'm sure most teams have had players who aren't buddy buddy.

Just how important is it that teammates get along? It's nice if they do for sure but I'm sure most teams have had players who aren't buddy buddy.

Historically, I think you're quite right.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I wonder whether today's young 'uns (read millenials and/or whatever comes after them) present ... a unique challenge in that regard.

Just remember the tank "failed" (he said sarcastically)

yeah, the Sabres should be holding their heads high over the Coyotes. What did the standings look like at the end of last season?

I haven't heard the interview. I was going off what Brawndo posted (above). A reporter saying that multiple sources have told him that two players don't get along is, or would be, significant.

I cant remember where, but I was reading something about Risto and trading him where they said Risto and Eichel also weren't fond of each other....

It's a risk for sure but it's one I'm willing to take.  I like O'Reilly and I respect the multiple things he does for us.  I also recognize he isn't a leader and that we don't have anyone on the team his age to be a leader so it will come from the young players.  That takes time and I don't think I'm going to like a 30 year old slower ROR with reduced minutes and reduced points (40-50), 3rd line center, with no leadership skills at 7.5 Mil - when my youngsters are ready to take the team over.  

I don't think the Sabres are turned around with Dahlin and Mittelstadt - they are turning around.  We're not good and losing ROR makes us worse today for sure.  I just don't think ROR does enough for me while I'm not good and I'd rather have futures.  

Effing hell. How many ostensibly core players can Eichel not get along with?

Antics.

Just wait until Mittelstadt supplants him and has Eichel carry his gear. Then we'll see the real petulant child/entitled millennial in him come out.

Edited by Alkoholist

I’m interested in watching how the young core relates to each other next year.

Casey and Rasmus are hyper-competitive hockey nerds.

Jack and Sam have at least a streak of entitled jocks on scholarship.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.