Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Conversation starter because I think the Isles would be very interested in protecting Barzal.

I’d only do it if I had good intel Tavares was definitely high on Buffalo.

I don’t want to trade O’Reilly at all. I’m sick of losing.

Now that teams are allowed to talk to UFAs in the "non-tampering" window prior to 7/1, what does any team actually gain by trading for Tavares' rights? Just ride it out until he's available for discussions & make sure you meet w/ him.

From The Charging Buffalo

Darren Dreger with some thoughts on the #Sabres and Ryan O’Reilly:

“The price tag is going to be very very high. Jason Botterill made that abundantly clear when this speculation arose.”

“I think that if the right deal of right offer was made, Buffalo would consider trading him. It’s starting to feel like it’s more likely now [that he gets traded] than not likely.”

“There are so many teams looking for a versatile forward. He can play center or wing, he’s a good character guy and has a high level of compete. It makes you wonder why Buffalo would want to part with him, but there’s still a lot of areas of concern for the Buffalo Sabres.”

“For Botterill to move out ROR he’s going to need several pieces. If it’s around draft time, you know it’s going to be likely a young NHL player or prospect, high draft pick, and maybe something else on top of that.”

Okay, the only reason it feels more likely than not that he's traded is because people with less general hockey knowledge and Sabres knowledge than an average SS poster speculate that "oh hey, the Hurricanes/Canucks/whatever sure could use a good hockey player like ROR" as if that's not obvious, and then throw out potential trade ideas that get re-circulated as "rumors." 

Meanwhile, the only thing we've ever heard from Jason and ROR suggest that they both want ROR right where he is and that it would take a gross overpayment to change that.

More from Friedman on Vancouver Radio.

Ryan O’Reilly seems to be available from the Buffalo Sabres for the right price, but is it a fait accompli that the veteran center will be moved?

“I don’t know if it’s a fait accompli,” considered NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman when asked the question during a Tuesday afternoon radio hit on Vancouver’s Sportsnet 650. “I think obviously Jason Botterill was really unhappy at the end of last year. Obviously Ryan O’Reilly was unhappy at the end of last year. There’s something to that. He’s a center and it’s really hard to find centers.

“But I think that Botterill is aiming high and he’s going to want to get something really big for him. And until you find somebody who’s willing to pay that price, I mean Botterill could hold.

“The one thing about Evander Kane is I think it was a fait accompli because it was at the end of his contract and I think they really wanted to get something for him. So that was going to happen for sure. While I think it’s likely O’Reilly is traded right now, I don’t think it’s as much of a slam dunk guarantee as Kane was.”

O’Reilly has five years left on his contract, which comes with a $7.5 million cap hit and does not include any trade protection.

Kane was slated to head into unrestricted free agency this summer, although he was re-signed by the same San Jose Sharks team that traded for him before the deadline.

Friedman has recently wondered about the Vancouver Canucks possibly being a stealth team on defenseman Noah Hanifin of the Carolina Hurricanes, and Bob McKenzie mentioned Monday that he wouldn’t be surprised if the Canucks “at least expressed some interest” in O’Reilly.

Friedman was asked during his segment on 650 if he was hearing any other names connected to the Canucks.

“Not really,” said Friedman. “I think that Hanifin is obviously the one. I know the O’Reilly stuff is really starting to get out there too. I have to tell you I haven’t heard many more names specific to Vancouver at this time. I think that will change, but I haven’t heard anybody else right now

Okay, the only reason it feels more likely than not that he's traded is because people with less general hockey knowledge and Sabres knowledge than an average SS poster speculate that "oh hey, the Hurricanes/Canucks/whatever sure could use a good hockey player like ROR" as if that's not obvious, and then throw out potential trade ideas that get re-circulated as "rumors."

Meanwhile, the only thing we've ever heard from Jason and ROR suggest that they both want ROR right where he is and that it would take a gross overpayment to change that.

Am I the only who thinks O’Reilly’s public pronouncements may be suspect and that behind the scenes his agent may be desperately trying to orchestrate an exit?

There is just way too much smoke from reputable sources attached to his name for a guy who doesn’t want to be traded from a team that doesn’t want to trade him.

There hasn’t been a guy more calculated than ROR in recent years about charting his own course.

My post is nothing more than speculation but tell me why I’m wrong. (Because I hope I’m wrong)

Or tell me why Botterill hasn’t identified ROR is the stink in the room and all the chatter is just JBot trying to hype the market because he fully intends to move him?

Edited by dudacek

My post is nothing more than speculation but tell me why I’m wrong. (Because I hope I’m wrong)

Or tell me why Botterill hasn’t identified ROR is the stink in the room and all the chatter is just JBot trying to hype the market because he fully intends to move him?

I don't actually remember reading your post, I was only addressing Dreger's comments, but I think your ROR point about charting his own course is interesting - but there was tangible evidence (ROR held out publicly, and we all know about the Calgary situation) the whole entire time that was happening, whereas this time it's ROR talking about how much he wants to be here, Botterill talking about how most teams spend decades trying to set up their center group the way we have right now and saying, only when prompted, that he's not looking to trade ROR, while giving appropriate due credit to the fact that anyone should be available for the right (astronomical) price on a team that just finished in last place.

The only "smoke" can be traced to musings that draw no actual conclusions from talking to relevant people, just "other people" who have the opinion that ROR could move because it makes sense situationally, and "other people" who think that Carolina and other guys would love ROR (who wouldn't?). 

With this in mind, my conclusion is simply: Dreger, supply the evidence for that shift in thinking that isn't just those takes piling up like a rolling snowball and making you change your mind. Tell us that someone in the Sabres organization says that ROR is a locker room problem, tell us that someone said Botterill is MAKING calls on ROR, tell us something like that. If you can't, then I'll default to what the evidence seems to suggest - that you're pulling crap out of your arse. 

But it’s Dreger, Friedman and McKenzie, and with the same message: the Sabres are listening, there is a lot of interest and they expect him to be moved.

If they "expect" him to be moved, then they know something they aren't saying, and the price is lower than we think.

If they "expect" him to be moved, then they know something they aren't saying, and the price is lower than we think.

Or they think a team is willing to pay the price.

A good prospect and a first round pick plus a roster player is pretty standard for a player like ROR

But it’s Dreger, Friedman and McKenzie, and with the same message: the Sabres are listening, there is a lot of interest and they expect him to be moved.

But they are getting this because "it would make sense" and not because they are actually hearing something different from what we've heard. And Dreger now expects him to be moved, more likely than not, explicitly because enough people have now said "it makes sense", but we have seen how those kinds of "rumors" which aren't actually even rumors bounce around in an echo chamber. 

Sweet so another lottery protected first and some other version of Paille?

Came for this.

Leaves satisfied.

Or they think a team is willing to pay the price.

A good prospect and a first round pick plus a roster player is pretty standard for a player like ROR

If we end up with a good prospect, a 1st, and a roster player we will have lost that trade and the roster goes backwards.  We need an equal player coming back.

Came for this.

Leaves satisfied.

If we end up with a good prospect, a 1st, and a roster player we will have lost that trade and the roster goes backwards. We need an equal player coming back.

Depends on the first and the prospect. You can't just call it a loss without even knowing who we get.

Came for this.

Leaves satisfied.

If we end up with a good prospect, a 1st, and a roster player we will have lost that trade and the roster goes backwards.  We need an equal player coming back.

We need two good players, or one better-than-ROR player, coming back, IMO.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Came for this.

Leaves satisfied.

If we end up with a good prospect, a 1st, and a roster player we will have lost that trade and the roster goes backwards. We need an equal player coming back.

Bellows, #12 overall, and whatever for ROR.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.