Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

...or the GWG in OT in the best Sabres game of all time.

Briere's goal was in 2OT IIRC.

And Briere was as clutch as Drury.

Thanks again, OSP and LQ.

Indeed it was. I THINK it was also a game where the Sabres were up 2-0, that included a Lydman over-the-glass call to set up the game-tying goal. Didn’t that rule start that season?

So looking at some of the teams in the top of the draft, would any be willing to part with their pick for ROR?  Montreal is seemed to be actively pursuing ROR, would Arizona want a young vet like ROR since they have so may young players? Vancouver and Rangers are two other teams looking for help down the middle.

Could a team make a trade with Buffalo after July 1st with a pick they acquired at draft with whom they selected a player Buffalo wanted?

Would Montreal at 3 trade Lenkonen, Danault, and Tkachuk for ROR and Nylander?

Would Arizona at 5 trade Domi and Tkachuk for ROR?

LULZ

Y’all think no way anyone trades for Lehner. Allen, 27, has three years left at 4.35. The Stl fans feel no one would wants him either.

I actually like Allen and am willing to take the risk on the contract. Lehner is a low risk replacement option for them as he is a RFA and therefore can likely be signed for just a year. Both players need a change of scenery. Stl might take the deal to get the long term cap relief and a younger player.

So looking at some of the teams in the top of the draft, would any be willing to part with their pick for ROR? Montreal is seemed to be actively pursuing ROR, would Arizona want a young vet like ROR since they have so may young players? Vancouver and Rangers are two other teams looking for help down the middle.

Could a team make a trade with Buffalo after July 1st with a pick they acquired at draft with whom they selected a player Buffalo wanted?

Would Montreal at 3 trade Lenkonen, Danault, and Tkachuk for ROR and Nylander?

Would Arizona at 5 trade Domi and Tkachuk for ROR?

No draft picks.

How about Carl Hagelin? LW, Swede, U of M Alum and current Pen. He’s 29 with 1 yr left at 4.0. Had 31 pts last season.

Adds a speedy LW to our top 6. Adds a fellow Swede to help Dahlin’s transition. Has won Cups and has significant playoff experience.

Pitt needs cap relief and it likely won’t cost a crazy amount to get him.

How about Carl Hagelin? LW, Swede, U of M Alum and current Pen. He’s 29 with 1 yr left at 4.0. Had 31 pts last season.

Adds a speedy LW to our top 6. Adds a fellow Swede to help Dahlin’s transition. Has won Cups and has significant playoff experience.

Pitt needs cap relief and it likely won’t cost a crazy amount to get him.

I'll trade them Larsson for him. 

Allen for Lehner is possible in a world where the GM hates his own guy but used to like the other.

We will acquire Hagelin or someone like him this summer.

Coyotes traded 7 for Stepan, who is arguably in O’Reilly’s tier, so a top 10 pick is possible.

But if you look at the teams, the Hurricanes and Canadiens picks are likely too high, the Islanders too low and most of the other teams probably aren’t seriously interested in an expensive centre.

I would say the only possibilities are Vancouver and maybe Arizona.

I will be disappointed if a top-10 pick is the biggest piece coming back.

Larsson or Girgensons won’t be enough to get Hagelin, but it’s a start.

The only reason Hagelin is even on the Penguins is because he's fast. They specifically traded a slow Perron away just for that. I doubt they're taking Girgs or Larsson

The only reason Hagelin is even on the Penguins is because he's fast. They specifically traded a slow Perron away just for that. I doubt they're taking Girgs or Larsson

Girgensons is fast and cheap. He also adds size and some physical play which the Pens could use. Larsson is slow and I agree the Pens wouldn’t be interested.

If we are auctioning O’Reilly, what are your thoughts about making him a centrepiece for Karlsson?

How would the deal have to be structured to make it work?

No, only for the reason he would be a rental for one year, or if he does sign an extension with Buffalo there is a distinct possibility you will be paying two defenseman north of 12 Million AAV in four years. (This of course assumes that Rasmus Dahlin can out score Matt Donovan during his ELC)

If we are auctioning O’Reilly, what are your thoughts about making him a centrepiece for Karlsson?

How would the deal have to be structured to make it work?

I'd rather not. He's either a rental or we'll be forced to give an $80+ million contract to a guy who will be 29 when it kicks in. I'd rather spend that cap space on younger guys like Dahlin and Mittelstadt.

O’Reilly makes $7.5. The highest paid defenceman is Subban at $9.

Burns is next and he signed last year for $8.

OEL has apparently agreed to just over that, Hedman signed last summer for slightly less.

Erik Karlsson is a year older than O’Reilly

For me, the money is not an obstacle.

If -- and it's a major if -- Karlsson signs an extension with the Sabres AND the Sabres achieve a high level of confidence about Karlsson's achilles, I would gladly offer the following package for him:

ROR

#32 this year

SJ's #1 in 2019

Guhle or McCabe

Nylander

Not sure that moves the needle enough for Ottawa though.

O’Reilly makes $7.5. The highest paid defenceman is Subban at $9.

Burns is next and he signed last year for $8.

OEL has apparently agreed to just over that, Hedman signed last summer for slightly less.

Erik Karlsson is a year older than O’Reilly

For me, the money is not an obstacle.

The difference is O'Reilly signed his 7 year deal 3 years ago as a 24/25 year old and now there's only 5 years remaining. If O'Reilly was a 28 year old UFA, I wouldn't want to give him a 7 or 8 year deal either.

Perhaps. There's no really good way to check this outside of rewatching games specifically focused on ROR's defense and then watching loads of other players as well to get a barometer on what good defensive play from center is (because otherwise we can endlessly cycle through individual examples of ROR not skating (from you) followed by famous GIFs of Kopitar doing the same (from me) and that's hardly productive)

So I'll stand by my general viewpoint that 

1.) NHL players are idealized by all sides, and what is "good defensive play" especially, from both forwards and D, entails a lot more mistakes than is conventionally realized 

2.) ROR is phenomenal defensively compared to his peers, based on my raw memory, which I trust by default over someone else's when discussing hard-to-pin issues like this, as I would expect them to do as well. 

Tangentially related, I believe that if we trade ROR we HAVE to trade Risto too. 

I suppose we have to agree to disagree.  I can certainly agree that good defensive play is hard to quantify and tends to be more observational. I always found though, especially with "two-way forwards" , being considered a good defensive forward is more based on group think perception and reputation than hard reality.  I personally watch O'Reilly very closely in the defensive zone because I have an interest in positioning, coverages, and the like, but I don't see anything in O'Reilly's game that screams elite when I compare him to other great defensive forwards like Bergeron.  And this is not to say I don't think he is responsible or you can't use him in all situations (you can, which is why I really like O'Reilly), just not among the best or really overly special defensively.  Where O'Reilly's talents do have a tangible impact in the defensive zone is his faceoff ability. 

That being said, I have no desire to see O'Reilly traded unless the Sabres get a monster return.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.