Would you like to see Terry sell the Sabres?

PASabreFan

Would you like to see Terry sell the Sabres?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Terry sell the Sabres?

• Yes, you've run it into the ground. If you love it, let it go.
    • No, your fandom and wealth will carry the day. Hang in there.
    • Ask me again in 12 months or so.

Remember when we finally did sign free agents in the summer of 2011 and all the talking heads had us as a team to watch and John Buccigross picked us to win the cup and then we never made the playoffs again, ever?

Remember when ownership didn't try to lose on purpose?

Remember when we signed awesome FA Christian Ehrhoff and awesome FA Ville Leino and awesome FA Matt Moulson and awesome FA Kyle Okposo?

Christ, I wish we couldn't afford free agents.

If he sold them there would be buyers. Didn’t he purchase the team for 180 mil

I think I read recently that the Sabres have roughly doubled in value since he bought the team.

And that, in your eyes, should be a good thing. Benign neglect!

I've never argued for an owner to not care.

They too are calling for an owner who's dumped money into the city and teams, kept two teams here, to sell the team after a few bad seasons?

Terry didn't keep the Sabres here. Tom Golisano did. Terry had to and has to abide by Tom's stipulation that the team remain.

I feel so bad for Ottawa.

I get it. Terry is a bit of a doofus. Whatever. Just keep the lights on and don't go OSP us. 

You mean give us winning and/or at least competitive hockey to watch?

I think he did that with Tim Murray. The problem was he hired the wrong "hockey person."

Let's hope he hired the right one this time and can keep out of the way.

We should optimistic that the Pegulas approached the NHL for advice about hiring a New GM and that Botterill was at the top of the list of the recommended names. And per the Shred and Regan show when Puck Daddy was on, During his initial interview Botterill supposedly told the Pegulas “Tim Murray did not do you any favors” and I imagine he laid out a plan to build the team properly, which probably will take a few seasons to accomplish.

I’m not expecting playoffs, but I want them to play meaningful hockey games at the End of the March in 2019

You could find a dozen parties, most of not all would move the team. Heck you have Quebec City with an arena waiting for a team.

At this point, I don't think relocation is a risk. The bigger risk is the lack of deep pockets.

You could find a dozen parties, most of not all would move the team. Heck you have Quebec City with an arena waiting for a team.

Presumably Terry would attach the same stipulation to the purchase that Golisano did. Also, the league has to approve sales. I've always operated under the assumption that the Buffalo market is too valuable for the league to allow it to move.

At this point, I don't think relocation is a risk. The bigger risk is the lack of deep pockets.

Where has that gotten us? It's interesting that Golisano, who said he charged his management with breaking even, got much better results. Throwing money at the problem in 2011 got the whole shebang off to a bad start and was the beginning of the end. Some ridiculous free agent contracts were also doled out later, adding to the misery.

Don't NHL owners tend to be guys who are willing to spend (ego), knowing that they can make it back when they sell the team?

I've never argued for an owner to not care.

Days gone by, you posited that Pegula was a problematic owner because he cared *too much* about the Sabres (perhaps for the wrong reasons) — and that his unwelcome meddling flowed from his obsession with his shiny new toy.

Now you posit that Pegula is a problematic owner because he doesn’t care enough about the team?

Oy vey.

If Pegula cares less about the Sabres because the Bills are drawing his attention, then he will certainly meddle less (or at all). (And there’s been no indication that he’ll withdraw his financial support and commitment from the team.)

And if he’s not as interested in the Sabres, that leaves JBOT as the de facto chief hockey officer. He’s a bright guy— knows hockey and the business of hockey. So, there’s a young, bright hockey guy minding the shop, with an owner keeping tabs from afar and cutting checks.

Dude. That is essentially what you’ve been asking for since late 2011 or eary 2012.

That’s not to say JBOT IS *the* guy for the job. We’ll see.

But to squawk that the Sabres aren’t organizationally set up the way you wanted is a bit of a Goldilocks conundrum. Or is that the Princess and the Pea?

Days gone by, you posited that Pegula was a problematic owner because he cared *too much* about the Sabres (perhaps for the wrong reasons) — and that his unwelcome meddling flowed from his obsession with his shiny new toy.

Now you posit that Pegula is a problematic owner because he doesn’t care enough about the team?

Oy vey.

If Pegula cares less about the Sabres because the Bills are drawing his attention, then he will certainly meddle less (or at all). (And there’s been no indication that he’ll withdraw his financial support and commitment from the team.)

And if he’s not as interested in the Sabres, that leaves JBOT as the de facto chief hockey officer. He’s a bright guy— knows hockey and the business of hockey. So, there’s a young, bright hockey guy minding the shop, with an owner keeping tabs from afar and cutting checks.

Dude. That is essentially what you’ve been asking for since late 2011 or eary 2012.

That’s not to say JBOT IS *the* guy for the job. We’ll see.

But to squawk that the Sabres aren’t organizationally set up the way you wanted is a bit of a Goldilocks conundrum. Or is that the Princess and the Pea-ay?

Fixed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.