The Season Finale GDT Buffalo at Florida 4/7/18 7pm MSG GR

Brawndo

As much as I've bashed Gorges here, I'm feeling for that guy during his post game speech. Stick taps for him. He definitely put his soul into this team and it's unfortunate how the last 3 years have been for him.

Tough post-game/post-season interview. I'd think he'd still be a fine #6 d-man if a) the top teams in the league hadn't all gone speed, and b) GMTM had assembled a roster that allowed him to be a #6. But once the GMTM vision of a big-LA Kings-East heavy boardwork team didn't manifest, Gorges was toast. I wish him the best. On the right roster he might last another season or two, but the eye test of the league is that it's time for him to retire from this level. He's had a really solid career.

As much as I've bashed Gorges here, I'm feeling for that guy during his post game speech. Stick taps for him. He definitely put his soul into this team and it's unfortunate how the last 3 years have been for him.

Or maybe just "Taps". All kidding aside, he was a warrior his whole career, but has run out of spears.

Remember, I think it was the beginning of last season (16-17)... Eichel was out and we went to Edmonton, and Gorges was an absolute stud? He harassed and roughed up McDavid at every opportunity and used savvy to negate all the speed. That was nice. (Much of the rest of the time was not.) Anyhoo. Off to another galaxy.

so I guess just about everybody thinks we should have Nylander in Rochester yet again and play a aging vet instead like pouliot? I think we start him on the big club and let him find his way just as the leafs did with his brother (who still has some ups and downs but he's learning as he goes)

I'm still drunk but are you guys liking nylander now ? 

Many are. I still think he's going to be a bust, probably Tim Murray's biggest mistake in a very long list of mistakes. I can't get over his AHL performance to date.

However, it's worth noting that his older brother had 6 goals and 7 assists in 22 NHL games before reaching his 20th birthday. Alex has 1 goal and 1 assist in 7 NHL games before age 20. So Alex is not currently that far behind William in production when you make a strict age comparison. Last fall's injury didn't help his development.

I'm rooting like hell for the guy to prove the doubters like myself wrong. A lot of his issues are more mental than anything. He definitely has NHL top 6 forward talent. We saw glimpses of it the past few games.

A couple of things.

Will need to increase our point projections for Mittelstadt next season.

Mittelstadt looks like one hell of a NHL Player.

To echo True even though Nylander didn’t “deserve the call up”( I took a lot of ###### for saying he needs to be up on a top line for a few games) he elevated his game while up here and will probably be on the Opening Night Roster for the Sabres in October.

Mittelstadt looks like a ten year vet out there. Would not surprise me if he led team in scoring next year

I am sad to see you in this low state. I really am. I almost wish you'd post something about bringing Lindy back now that Vigneault got booted. Your hope tank is low.

Don't get me started on how wrong you all were about him being the problem.

Stop.

Stop again.

No.  Stop.  Wait. Read.

I said DON'T get me started.

Old guys, don’t his hands and tenaciousness on the puck remind you a little of Dale Hawerchuk?

I was thinking a fast Andreychuck or maybe Hossa. More of a playmaker like Hawerchuk but he seems bigger than Dale. Whoever, he looks great. No surprise he was out there late when they needed a goal.

His play on the first goal last night was something. Just a simple pass to a guy open in the offensive zone.

This is how the season ends - not with a bang, but a whimper.  

31st in goals for.

29th in goals against

Bottom 10 in PP% 

Bottom 10 in Penalty Kill.  

Lost all 4 April games back to back.   Way to show 'progress' under Housley's system they've been 'learning' all season. 

Remembering 2015-16 when many figured 'poor' Babcock was going to have to resign himself to years of 'suffering'  and 'losing' in Toronto before they got better; the Leafs would need to bottom out while Sabres were already on the rebuild and on the upswing.   Well, Babcock's suffering didn't last long, did it?  They made the playoffs last year, and the Leafs had a .600 winning record this year, 7 wins above .500. 

Sabres, OTOH,  0.300 winning record.  Leafs had 24 more wins than the Sabres.  smh!

There's no real light at the end of the tunnel at KeyBank Center.     Totalling disgusting result for 2017-18.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.