The Season Finale GDT Buffalo at Florida 4/7/18 7pm MSG GR

Brawndo

Four coaches and three dead last finishes since, and you still think it was Ruff.

That's just foolish.

I said DON'T get me started.

Firing Lindy wasn't the only thing to happen in a vacuum since early 2013. There was the whole, setting up the roster to tank on purpose thing.

That said, I'll stop there :P

(I don't think "It was Ruff" - the team had a lot of problems, including the coach's message getting stale after 16 years)

Edited by Randall Flagg

Darcy's "exhaustive" interview process should have been more exhaustive and landed on someone who isn't Rolston.

LOL.   Yeah,  Regier's exhaustive and sweeping search included looking behind every curtain, under and behind, and beneath every table, desk, and cabinet inside Regier's office - and Rolston was the very best guy he found.  In his office.  

Edited by Jsixspd

Firing Lindy wasn't the only thing to happen in a vacuum since early 2013. There was the whole, setting up the roster to tank on purpose thing.

That said, I'll stop there :P

(I don't think "It was Ruff" - the team had a lot of problems, including the coach's message getting stale after 16 years)

Ruff would have looked at the tank plan and would have given it a giant ###### NO.  Which many fans did.  It didn't work, it hasn't worked since Pittsburgh did it more than thirty years ago, and it was stupid.

They haven't made the playoffs since his departure--and his tenure saw a completely ridiculously inferior team win a division in 2010.

One doesn't fix problems in machinery by taking out the part that works.

You are wrong.  Period.  And if you need proof, just look at the last four coaches and five seasons.

"Team storm cloud," my ass.  NOW we have the storm cloud.

And I hope you stop there.

Edited by Eleven

Lindy should never have been fired because Darcy should have been fired first.

It certainly came across like that old Weasel Regier throwing Ruff under the bus in order to save his own sorry skin.     

Notice also that Ruff got employed as a HC in the league right away  -  Darcy Regier got an assistant GM job with the Coyotes, but that ended a couple years back.   

Kind of demonstrates how the rest of the league views the relative value of the two guys in their positions.  One - is still seen as a valued contributor.  The other.... nobody wants him for the GM spot.  

It certainly came across like that old Weasel Regier throwing Ruff under the bus in order to save his own sorry skin.

Notice also that Ruff got employed as a HC in the league right away - Darcy Regier got an assistant GM job with the Coyotes, but that ended a couple years back.

Kind of demonstrates how the rest of the league views the relative value of the two guys in their positions. One - is still seen as a valued contributor. The other.... nobody wants him for the GM spot.

I remember them making a big deal about how sad Regier was to have to fire Ruff.

Yeah, okay Darcy. Really broken up about trying to save your own hide.

I remember them making a big deal about how sad Regier was to have to fire Ruff.

Yeah, okay Darcy. Really broken up about trying to save your own hide.

That was the story.

Always wondered though if there wasn't a bit more to the story. That being, possibly, that Ruff was NOT on board w/ the tank & rather than him quit (which wouldn't look good & wouldn't sit well w/ Ruff - never considered him a quitter) have him be fired by mutual agreement. It'd be very plausible that Regier would be sad about losing the only coach (for all intents & purposes) he'd ever worked w/ in the GM capacity.

That was the story.

Always wondered though if there wasn't a bit more to the story. That being, possibly, that Ruff was NOT on board w/ the tank & rather than him quit (which wouldn't look good & wouldn't sit well w/ Ruff - never considered him a quitter) have him be fired by mutual agreement. It'd be very plausible that Regier would be sad about losing the only coach (for all intents & purposes) he'd ever worked w/ in the GM capacity.

This has been my speculation for years.

Lindy should never have been fired because Darcy should have been fired first.

You don't generally tell a new GM, "Here's your head coach."

Notice also that Ruff got employed as a HC in the league right away  -  Darcy Regier got an assistant GM job with the Coyotes, but that ended a couple years back.   

Kind of demonstrates how the rest of the league views the relative value of the two guys in their positions.  One - is still seen as a valued contributor.  The other.... nobody wants him for the GM spot.  

And how did that work out?

Ruff would have looked at the tank plan and would have given it a giant ###### NO.  Which many fans did.  It didn't work, it hasn't worked since Pittsburgh did it more than thirty years ago, and it was stupid.

They haven't made the playoffs since his departure--and his tenure saw a completely ridiculously inferior team win a division in 2010.

One doesn't fix problems in machinery by taking out the part that works.

You are wrong.  Period.  And if you need proof, just look at the last four coaches and five seasons.

"Team storm cloud," my ass.  NOW we have the storm cloud.

And I hope you stop there.

Maybe not in machinery, but there are certainly times in software where it's more effective to throw everything out and start from a blank slate. I'm not ready to apply that to sports, though.

Maybe not in machinery, but there are certainly times in software where it's more effective to throw everything out and start from a blank slate. I'm not ready to apply that to sports, though.

System.gc();

Coincidentally currently working through this. Cannot get the heap memory to handle a script I'm running for the life of me

System.gc();

Coincidentally currently working through this. Cannot get the heap memory to handle a script I'm running for the life of me

Man, I had to look that up. Been a long time I did anything in Java. I do like the first Google link is, "java - When does System.gc() do anything", LOL.

As for scrap and re-implement, we're in the process of re-writing all our Ansible playbooks/roles anew using the things we've learned to make them bigger, faster, and stronger. We could take what we have and tweak, but clean-sheet seems the way to go. The first part has been to build some stand alone systems entirely using the playbooks. It's strangely gratifying to do a minimal install on a piece of hardware (which I think I got the custom installer working tonight so we don't even have to install that by hand), run a command from another machine and 30 minutes later you have a fully configured system with 10 VMs running. A second command on the host itself and the VMs are all configured 30 minutes after that.

Man, I had to look that up. Been a long time I did anything in Java. I do like the first Google link is, "java - When does System.gc() do anything", LOL.

As for scrap and re-implement, we're in the process of re-writing all our Ansible playbooks/roles anew using the things we've learned to make them bigger, faster, and stronger. We could take what we have and tweak, but clean-sheet seems the way to go. The first part has been to build some stand alone systems entirely using the playbooks. It's strangely gratifying to do a minimal install on a piece of hardware (which I think I got the custom installer working tonight so we don't even have to install that by hand), run a command from another machine and 30 minutes later you have a fully configured system with 10 VMs running. A second command on the host itself and the VMs are all configured 30 minutes after that.

To be fair that link pretty much hits it on the head for jvm GC :lol:

Damn, sounds nice. Pretty jealous you have the freedom to do that lol. We're consistently being told to just tweak this and that to make it work. I can't even tell you how many use cases are hardcoded in our app, it's terrifying 

What we should do is just what you are. But management is too afraid to commit to such an effort it seems. Oh well :beer:

Edited by Jokertecken

Ruff worked out with a conference best record in Dallas, dummy.  You and TSC lost.  

The  "team storm cloud" is now a bunch of seasons in.  How are we doing?

Hey, it's not our fault one of the biggest hayseeds to ever own an NHL team wanted to buy the Sabres on his way to One Bills Drive.

It seemed like the Sabres were overdue for a change when the Pegulas took over - both Ruff and Regier had been around forever.   I was ok with Lindy going..... however, if there was anyone to blame for the team's state it was Regier.... so it was puzzling to me that Ruff was the first 'out the door'.    I still attribute that to yet another poor decision by the Pegulas.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.